Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Technical Discussions > Transmission and Rear End
User Name
Password

Old 10-11-2005, 05:00 PM

i hate manual tranny´s
i fire up my Camino faster with the TCI than others with manual.
all our cars have automatic transmission, also the old BMW from 1984

greets from Sweden
Klaus
Old 10-15-2005, 10:13 PM

Default Manual trans. for me :)

I think that the Shrifter is a great option..
But for me a BIG part of the experience is rowing thru the gears.
There is a certain level of satisfaction in a perfecly executed shift.
(I know in many cases autos are faster. I don't care)
Scott
G Force Design Concepts #004
Pro Touring 1965 Ford Mustang Fastback
FRPP 347c.i./450hp
SSBC 4WDB,Budnik M5's
G Force T5 etc..
FOR SALE
Old 11-03-2005, 01:03 AM

Dam, looks like another toy my truck needs to have in it.

I guess this will hel me mak up my mind which trans to run.

1992 GMC Sonoma GT #492
58K original miles.

1993 S10 RCSB
LT1/T56 Project
For Sale

1993 S10 RCSB
4.3/Auto
Engine Rebuild in progress

2006 Hyundai Tiburon GT
2.7 V6/5 speed
Daily Driver
Old 12-15-2005, 12:41 AM

WOW no one mentioned the the extra 20 to 40 hp it takes to run the auto trans. I changed from auto to TKO 5sp and the car just feels light and happy OH thats me . Any ways Heat is also aconcern with autos. But they are luxurious.
Old 12-17-2005, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steemin
I think that the Shrifter is a great option..
But for me a BIG part of the experience is rowing thru the gears.
There is a certain level of satisfaction in a perfecly executed shift.
(I know in many cases autos are faster. I don't care)
Scott
I couldnt agree more, my car had th350 and its just boring!

And for the arguement that autos are faster, then why dosent everyone put in stability control and abs that makes the car faster, but in normal conditions if you are a good enough driver (be it very very good driver) you can accomplish virtually the same performance. Most of the fun for me in having a fast car is being able to drive it, something like trying to tame a wild animal. The less imput i have in driving the car the less fun!
Old 12-17-2005, 04:50 PM
Lateral-g Supporting Vendor

Remember the endgame boys and girls. Way beyond that "perfect shift" is hitting that braking zone and apex perfectly or getting from point A to point B in short order--in other words: Total Car Control. The gear change is just one facet of complete driving pleasure and accomplishment.

If jerking a rod back and forth is the only reason for getting your rocks off, try Playboy. But if maximum car control is your goal, I suggest that--for one minute--you envision yourself making a gear change in the shortest possible time without ever taking your hands off the wheel--10 and 2 baby! You change gears without barely lifting a finger. It is a very different experience. The gear changing process becomes something that you get out of the way--as though you shifted with your brain. There is no more quest for the perfect shift because THEY'RE ALL PERFECT! You, instead devote 100% of your concentration to forward progress of the vehicle: Throttle, brake, steering.

Just picture it: Revs up, palms sweaty, hands at 10 and 2, steering wheel rotating as needed, and one finger reaching back and clicking off a gear change.

Ridetech.com
Old 12-17-2005, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by streetfytr68
Remember the endgame boys and girls. Way beyond that "perfect shift" is hitting that braking zone and apex perfectly or getting from point A to point B in short order--in other words: Total Car Control. The gear change is just one facet of complete driving pleasure and accomplishment.

If jerking a rod back and forth is the only reason for getting your rocks off, try Playboy. But if maximum car control is your goal, I suggest that--for one minute--you envision yourself making a gear change in the shortest possible time without ever taking your hands off the wheel--10 and 2 baby! You change gears without barely lifting a finger. It is a very different experience. The gear changing process becomes something that you get out of the way--as though you shifted with your brain. There is no more quest for the perfect shift because THEY'RE ALL PERFECT! You, instead devote 100% of your concentration to forward progress of the vehicle: Throttle, brake, steering.

Just picture it: Revs up, palms sweaty, hands at 10 and 2, steering wheel rotating as needed, and one finger reaching back and clicking off a gear change.
I could not agree with you more... But until the quickness of the gear changes can be controlled, and TQ converter slip can be controlled I will just stick with my stick.
Old 12-17-2005, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesJ
I could not agree with you more... But until the quickness of the gear changes can be controlled, and TQ converter slip can be controlled I will just stick with my stick.
Both of those parameters can be controlled through all of the available software programs. Ironically, the first instinct is to set all shift times to the absolute minimum and engage lock-up as soon as possible. After use, it becomes obvious that more "slip" is desirable under most circumstances other than WOT.

Ridetech.com
Old 12-17-2005, 08:18 PM

Steve, impossible to heel/toe an automatic and no amount of software can program the transmission to match RPM's on the downshift while still providing 100% engine braking.
Old 12-18-2005, 05:42 AM

Correct. A different driving style is required. Downshifting in turns is done solely to select the proper gear for corner exit--not for engine braking. So you get your braking done to establish entry speed, downshift to select proper exit gear (i.e. 2nd gear), hit the apex, and when you get back in the throttle, you know for sure that the trans is on 2nd gear whereas in auto mode, the computer doesn't know if you are exiting a corner or slowing for a stopped schoolbus. In auto mode, the computer might choose the wrong gear or lag before finding 2nd gear.

Engine braking is there if you want it, but I don't use it. I've learned to rely soley on the vehicle's brakes. The computer in my DSG paddle shifted Audi A3 (a dual clutch manual) does match revs--perfectly, every time. Effective rev-matched heel and toe downshifting is one of those things that everyone brags about, but very few people have mastered. And it's not just skill, proper pedal placement is a big issue.

Ridetech.com