Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Lateral-G Open Discussions > Project Updates
User Name
Password

Old 06-16-2013, 01:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MX145 View Post
. Anyone know what the slot is cut out for on the passenger side cowl? It looks like a dealer/aftermarket install as the cut-out looks like it was done with a chainsaw. Whatever mounted in there looks to have been bolted to a factory installed bracket. Something for CA emissions?

Looks like someone installed the rear speakers with an axe.
dealer installed ac. I've seen some done with an 1/8" drill bit.

Dealer for
ACCUAIR rideheight control systems
ENTROPY RADIATORS XXX radiators for your pro-touring vehicle
FORGELINE MOTORSPORTS Highline custom 3 piece wheels
WEGNER AUTOMOTIVE Custom engines and LSX drive systems
SPEEDTECH PERFORMANCE Bay Area stocking dealer

NEVER FORGET -11
Old 06-16-2013, 01:45 AM

The inside rear fenders are some of the best metal on the car. I felt bad cutting them out but have to make room for the DSE mini tubs.

I took the good areas down to bare metal, prepped and epoxied. I didn't prep and spray everything to save work and material. I can't say enough about Barry and the crew at SPI. Those guys would fit right in here. I also bought a new 3M Accuspray primer gun with PPS cup system. I can't believe I didn't buy one of these sooner. Its the cat's meow! Way less work and material to clean up.

The inner cowl and firewall cleaned up well.

The rear floor and seat area are in good shape.

The package tray cleaned up and got coated along with the inner structure.

Tail pan inner structure

Last edited by MX145; 02-09-2014 at 11:59 PM.
Old 06-16-2013, 01:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince@MSperfab View Post
dealer installed ac. I've seen some done with an 1/8" drill bit.
It's been a mystery for months around here. Thanks Vince!
Old 06-16-2013, 02:03 AM

Drivers side door gap looked great. Hopefully I can get it right with the new quarters. I took measurements of door gaps, fender placement and trunk gaps, adjusted the doors and left them in place while replacing the quarters. My intention is to leave as metal in tact and brace as much as possible. Since I don't have a body jig Im supporting the weight of the car with the front tires and rear end on jack stands or tires.

The passenger side cowl box has to be replaced but the drivers side looks pretty good. Just need to patch the bottom and put the new outside pieces on. AMD didn't sell the parts individually so they hooked me up with the whole assembly for the price of the outer!.

Firewall is in good shape other than where the e-brake mount tore through.

Not sure whats up with the passenger side windshield pillar. Seems like a strange place to drill holes. Maybe it was metal termites. . I welded up all the holes when I repaired the cowl.

Name:  IMG_0210.jpg
Views: 659
Size:  27.7 KB

Name:  IMG_0211.jpg
Views: 657
Size:  31.6 KB

Name:  IMG_0213.jpg
Views: 658
Size:  48.7 KB

Name:  IMG_0219.jpg
Views: 655
Size:  37.9 KB

Name:  IMG_0214.jpg
Views: 657
Size:  64.3 KB

Last edited by MX145; 02-09-2014 at 04:28 PM.
Old 06-16-2013, 02:10 AM

Whoever packed this for Amazon wasn't thinking. A gallon of body filler shipped on its side. What a sticky mess! UPS gave it the usual treatment. I called Amazon for the first time and didn't know what to expect. As soon as I told the customer service rep why I was calling he apologized and placed a new order. Didn't ask another question. Great customer service!
Attached Images

Old 06-16-2013, 02:26 AM

Seems like I fit the quarters, tail pan, deck filler, and roof 20 times! Things were lining up pretty well so I welded the drip rails in for good.

Cut out the old trunk floor center section because It had some pin holes and a couple bad spots. I'm glad I went that far so I could clean up the gas tank supports and inside support for the tail pan.

The trunk patch from Classic Industries fit well but was a little thinner than the factory 18ga. Not a big deal but the AMD stuff was as thick or thicker on every piece I've touched so far. Unfortunately AMD doesn't have this piece. The center floor section patch works really well when installing a DSE like rear crossmember. I kept the factory side edges so the weld would be hidden inside the frame rail from below.

Since I had to primer the tank reinforcements and frame rails before they got covered up I decided to make a patch for the bottom cowl box and epoxy it along with the firewall.

*Coming back to look at my build thread I realize I should have posted more pics showing each area of the car as it was fully prepped before painting. I didn't just paint over the rusty gas tank supports below. Haha.
Attached Images

Last edited by MX145; 02-02-2014 at 10:50 PM.
Old 06-16-2013, 02:39 AM

The cowl was rusty around the bottom of the windshield where the top of the dash held water. The rest of the cowl is good so I'll come back to it later. The upper dash piece was a throw away. The cowl isn't too bad but I want to get as much rust out of the car as possible.

The floors from the seat pan back are good. Both the driver and passenger side foot area is rotten. The rest of the main structure cleaned up nice.

The passenger cowl box had too much rust to realistically make a patch for. I decided it was a better use of my time to replace the whole thing. Also gave me an opportunity to clean up the inside kick panel area. Both sides are now treated and prepped for epoxy.
Attached Images

Old 06-16-2013, 02:54 AM

I think I measured a dozen times before cutting the floor and frame for the mini tubs. I didn't think it would be a big deal since I've had to cut so much else of the car for rust repair but I guess this was a little more intimidating. I laid my lines out in tape which seemed to help me cut straight as I went over all the various elevations.

Pair of 1st gen air shocks. Not quite Ridetech so they're going to go!

Also started laying out the crossmember. It was nice to see it fit as I kinda guessed on the front length when I had the industrial supply bend it for me. I'll trim the bottom side flush with the floor later.

I used the DSE templates to cut the frame but I decided to make my own closeouts as I wanted to tie as much of what I had in front of me together. Not sure how the various years differ exactly but I wanted maximum strength and least amount of water possible.
Attached Images

Old 06-16-2013, 03:09 AM

First part to not fit well. I'm guessing it's not an AMD part based on the high quality of everything else I've fit so far and it came in a generic box. The passenger side cowl box wasn't close to fitting so I cut a pie out of both sides and filled them.

I also decided to fix the toe board at the bottom of the firewall.

Jumped back to the crossmember and mini-tubs. I started welding in the crossmember now that it fit how I wanted.

Fit the drivers side closeouts to tie everything together on that side as well.

Welded the new trunk dropouts in and finished welding the trunk floor to the crossmember.

Also got the drivers side drip rail on.
Attached Images

Old 06-16-2013, 03:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubbed69 View Post
Jody good luck with this project,it does not have to be a high end build for us to follow along and enjoy with you,keep pics coming.
Thanks tubbed69. I have about 6 months of pictures that I'm going though. It would have been way easier to start this sooner. Haha