User Name
Password

View Poll Results: What should I do?
LS3/T56 16 64.00%
Procharged SBC/TKO 600 9 36.00%
Voters: 25. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-12-2014, 05:10 PM

Default LS Swap Vs. Procharged SBC

Alright all, I know this has been done before... Many times... But I'm curious as to what you all think I should do in my particular situation.

I've been pricing out an LS3/T56 swap and, as we all know, it ain't cheap! All said and done, I'm around $21-22k with a new 480 horse LS3 and T56 Magnum, and that's with a lot of shopping around (install labor included).

The other option I've been considering is throwing an intercooled P1SC on my existing 383, at around 6psi, and putting a TKO 600 behind it. Power output would be roughly the same as the LS swap and the cost would be closer to $12-13k. Hence, the temptation to go this route, even though I love the idea of running an LS in my car.

My Camaro is not a daily driver, by any means, nor will it ever be. However, for the few months a year I'll drive it (maybe 3-4k miles) I do want to be able to start it up, beat on it a bit at the track (auto-x and drag strip), as well as drive it wherever the hell I want without issues. I also want it to have that "Wow" factor when I pop the hood at shows, which I believe either would provide.

Bottom line, if money were absolutely no issue, I'd go the LS route... However, that's not the case. While I live fairly comfortably, by no means am I rich. However, as a respected and well-to-do friend of mine once said to me, and it resonated, "you only live once and should do what makes you happy - you can always make more money." Still, I find myself going back and forth with this decision... First world problems, right?!

Anyways... Help! What do you think I should do? I can't make up my mind; help me choose a path so I can move forward with one or the other.
Old 10-12-2014, 05:49 PM

You can get 450-475hp out of a 383 all day long with no pro charger. I vote to spruce up your 383 and put a t56 magnum behind it. As it sounds like money is a consideration or you wouldn't be asking.
Old 10-12-2014, 07:52 PM
Lateral-g Supporting Member

If your 383 isn't putting about 400 to the wheels now, you need to change some parts out. I intend to build my LT1 into a 383. It should easily put over 400hp and tq to the wheels when done.

With that said, no one gives whoop about a 383 SBC. Unless it sounds like a spawn of satan is in the engine trying to get out while you idle through the parking lot, it won't draw a crowd by itself. You'll need the blower or the LS3 to do that. So do you want something that people drool over or do you want a car that sounds great and puts a smile on your face when you mash the go pedal?

My path would be to build the 383 with maybe adding the blower if you really want to get squirrelly. I think they sound better than LS engines. I'd dress it up cleanly and just enjoy the drive.

Current rides: 2000 BMW 540i/6 and 86 C10.

Former ride: 1979 Trans Am WS6: LT1/T56, Kore 3 C5/6 brakes, BMW 18in rims

Last edited by WSSix; 10-12-2014 at 07:54 PM.
Old 10-12-2014, 08:02 PM

All the cool kids are running twins these days! I've got two buddies making the switch from pro chargers to turbos. Even a single turbo would be better than the P1SC. Shooooot, my dad's making 7lbs with a $400 turbo on an old Studebaker.

Just my .02
Old 10-12-2014, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBasher View Post
All the cool kids are running twins these days! I've got two buddies making the switch from pro chargers to turbos. Even a single turbo would be better than the P1SC. Shooooot, my dad's making 7lbs with a $400 turbo on an old Studebaker.

Just my .02
Ok, way off subject, but where in Renton do you live?! I grew up there...
Old 10-12-2014, 08:16 PM

"In a van down by the River!"

I'm actually on the Cedar River just off MV hwy. The old house was near Doofer's, that wasn't going to work long term.

Don't rule out a turbo or two, just sayin.

Dan
Old 10-12-2014, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBasher View Post
"In a van down by the River!"

I'm actually on the Cedar River just off MV hwy. The old house was near Doofer's, that wasn't going to work long term.

Don't rule out a turbo or two, just sayin.

Dan
Funny, I lived very close to you for years - Right by Hazen.

Ok, back to the subject... I have built several turbo cars in the past and, while I appreciate the hell out of the power they help produce and love the sudden rush of reaching full boost, I'm shooting for something with a more consistent power band. Turbo lag always drove me nuts.
Old 10-13-2014, 07:29 AM

Thanked 1,333 Times in 496 Posts

Why does the LS3 have to be new ? Have you priced getting a takeout from a low mile car ?
Old 10-13-2014, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clill View Post
Why does the LS3 have to be new ? Have you priced getting a takeout from a low mile car ?
Yet to see one that made sence.. They are usually close to the crate motor price
Old 10-13-2014, 08:25 AM

Are you looking for the power or just the 'wow' factor? Your small block with blower Pistons, the right compression and right cam Should make a lot more then 480hp. You can also pick up a used LS cheap, put a blower on that and make 550-600 at the wheels with out much trouble and expense. I can spit out many more options.... Lol. Oh the decisions.