Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Technical Discussions > Engine
User Name
Password

Old 11-09-2014, 06:54 PM

Default Coyote vs SBF

Hey guys,

I'm slowly getting back to working on my 69 fastback. And it's getting close to time edging a mock up motor and trans. But I'm not real sure what I want to run. I'm only looking to make 600-650 hp but I want the lightest motor possible while still being reliable. Just wondering if anybody has any input?

Thanks
Kody

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1969 mustang fastback - Lots of secret surprises to keep under wraps.

2012 boss 302 - BMR lower control arms, relocation brackets and pan hard bar, cortex racing coilovers, enkei 18x10.5's front and rear with 315/30/18's, offroad x pipe, lethal performance over axel pipes, SLP loudmouths.

"Your boss's exhaust when you floor it sounds like Jesus stepped on a lego in the middle of the night while going to the bathroom!"
Old 11-14-2014, 09:23 PM

I don't have any specific info, other than to say I wish I didn't have my SBF as far along as I do. I have too much money into it now to change directions. If I could, Coyote all day long. It's a regret for sure, but what can I do now.

If I were in your shoes I know exactly what I would do…..

1955 Chevy BelAir
1951 Chevy 3100
1987 Chevy R10

Glenn
Old 11-14-2014, 09:59 PM
Lateral-g Supporting Vendor

I don't think you're going to get more than 550 crank out of a Naturally aspirated Coyote, unless you spend a lot of money on it. Power delivery is smooth though, and they're very easy to drive fast as long as you move up and down through the gears to stay in the power band.
Old 11-15-2014, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss 5.0 View Post
I don't have any specific info, other than to say I wish I didn't have my SBF as far along as I do. I have too much money into it now to change directions. If I could, Coyote all day long. It's a regret for sure, but what can I do now.

If I were in your shoes I know exactly what I would do…..
I'm leaning towards the coyote for sure. Just worried a little on weight. I know the SBF has been lightened to the extreme and is able to live but MMR has only lightened a coyote a few times and are still learning their limits when lightened.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt.A View Post
I don't think you're going to get more than 550 crank out of a Naturally aspirated Coyote, unless you spend a lot of money on it. Power delivery is smooth though, and they're very easy to drive fast as long as you move up and down through the gears to stay in the power band.
I love the coyote (roadrunner) in my boss the power is so smooth and never stops pulling and pulls HARD everywhere. I've seen 500 to the wheels on a stock headed boss so I think it could be doable... If not I know the coyotes love boost...

2012 boss 302 - BMR lower control arms, relocation brackets and pan hard bar, cortex racing coilovers, enkei 18x10.5's front and rear with 315/30/18's, offroad x pipe, lethal performance over axel pipes, SLP loudmouths.

"Your boss's exhaust when you floor it sounds like Jesus stepped on a lego in the middle of the night while going to the bathroom!"
Old 12-08-2014, 05:02 PM

Just thought I'd add a little more to this. I'm talking to the guys at MMR about a N/A coyote and they have told me that 650hp to the wheels is doable, and doesn't seem to be that hard from the parts list they've given me.

Old 12-08-2014, 05:46 PM

I'm doing this same research for my project. I can't see the Coyote being a vaiable option at this point for me. To get the steam out of one that a stroked Windsor can make, it's just not worth the money. It seems like it's gonna take $15-$18k to get one fired and tuned all said and done. I was looking at an Aluminator with a Maggie on it and shooting for 600rw. You can buy a miriad of Windsors that make the same power for half that money. I don't care about cams, weight or any of those insignificant issues. It's a hot rod, not a McLaren for crying out loud. The other issue is packaging. A coyote is huge and tough to package. I'll have to make headers, a crazy cooling system, the accessories are a pain, etc etc.

The SBC to LS jump for the GM gang is a far easier and economical swap when compared to the above. It's hard to compare when guys with junkyard 5.3s and S475s are making 4 digit horsepower.

Smithcraft Collision and Restoration
Newcastle , CA
Old 12-08-2014, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOPANTS68 View Post
It's a hot rod, not a McLaren for crying out loud.
Dave. I like you.

2004 NASA AIX Mustang LS2 #14
1964 Lincoln Continental
2014 4 tap Keezer
Old 12-08-2014, 10:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash68 View Post
Dave. I like you.

LOL thanks Flashy

Smithcraft Collision and Restoration
Newcastle , CA