Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Lateral-G Open Discussions > Project Updates
User Name
Password

Old 04-04-2018, 12:50 AM

Default Here We Go Again: Honor Flight Camaro and the 2018 One Lap of America

It’s that time again for a bunch of “not quite right” folks to get together starting May 5 for the 33rd One Lap of America. With a full field of 85 cars and 3700 miles of driving + track time, this is shaping up to be one of the largest OLoA events in years.

As in previous years my codriver Jon Mahn and I will be flying the Honor Flight banner to help raise awareness for a very noble cause.

http://www.honorflight.org

Behind the scenes we have been preparing the car with a series of upgrades to items that were in pretty poor shape. The first was the exhaust system. Though the David Pozzi tuned ;-) headers were still in good shape the Dr. Gas crossover and both mufflers had many cracks. One muffler just about fell apart in ˝, the other was about to spit out a full end cap.

With reliability and serviceability in mind, the new system consists of all stainless components, flex joints, Magnaflow “X” crossover and mufflers, ball/socket header flanges, and full tailpipes. The mufflers are a 17” long case 3”in/out and 3” tailpipes exiting in the stock location. It’s super tight, but the driveshaft can be dropped out easily and the whole exhaust system including headers is on the ground in about 45 minutes. A big thanks goes out to Primo at JCG Restorations and Customs who turned my tack welds into something much more presentable.

Afterward the system was ceramic coated inside and out to help keep the heat in. Tunnel and over-muffler heat shielding was added as well thanks to Larry Callahan and our mutual need to overbuy stuff. Here’s the system after 15 months of track days, rain, etc.

Next up was the differential. The 12-bolt center section has been super reliable, but the outboard bearings require changing at least once a year. The adapted Ford single row deep groove ball design is fine for most applications, but one “off” on a road course curb would mean nasty noises shortly thereafter.

With an eye to future upgrades, a call to Jay at MillerBuilt started the process of doing something a bit oddball. Instead of building a traditional 9”, homage was paid to David Pozzi by using a 12-bolt housing that he donated many years ago. It needed new tubes and main caps but the center was fine.

The process started with determining what the flange-to-flange width needed to be with C7 Corvette hub assemblies. The C7 hubs are not only stronger than the Ford part, they also have very little side deflection that leads to caliper piston knockback. They also have an integrated wheel speed sensor.

The MillerBuilt kit used is a weld-on design so it was important to know how long each differential tube and floater axle needed to be with the yoke centered appropriately. Jay listened to my nutty ideas on the how and why I wanted to things in a peculiar way, suppled the fixtures to weld the ends straight to the tubes, and dealt with several unforeseen problems in a very professional and timely manner.

The 3.73:1 gears are US Gear with a REM/high polish finish mounted on an Eaton limited slip assembly. The Mark Williams main caps were milled by me in a friends Bridgeport and are seriously beefy. My concern about gear noise and durability have so far been unfounded as these are quieter than the mid-90’s vintage Richmond gears that were in the prior differential. Redline 75W140 gear oil keeps things well lubricated.

Savy 1968-1969 owners will notice one of the oddball differences in this setup vs. a traditional staggered shock caliper placement. Yep, it fits. This is a C6 RH, the other side is C6 LH. The parking brake cables are on the to-do list. The components looked a lot nicer before all of the track and autocross days.

Again Primo worked his TIG magic on the ends.

And finally, it’s all buttoned up with the differential cover also donated by Senor Pozzi. The leaf spring mounts were welded on with the proper clocking of the axle so that no angle shims were needed. The exhaust is a very tight fit around the differential, sway bar links, fuel tank, leaf springs, and quarter panel.

More to come over the next few weeks, but the April 20 ship date is looming so we have to stay on task with getting the car ready and the drivers minds tuned to each track.
Old 04-05-2018, 07:21 PM
Lateral-g Supporting Member

Good luck Carl! Safe travels, too.

Current rides: 2000 BMW 540i/6 and 86 C10.

Former ride: 1979 Trans Am WS6: LT1/T56, Kore 3 C5/6 brakes, BMW 18in rims