Password

Old 05-14-2018, 09:59 PM

glad to help and to hear it fixed your issue
Old 05-23-2018, 09:17 PM
Lateral-g Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by carbuff View Post
Tu,

Thought I replied to this again, but apparently not...

I followed the method in the video that was posted on Pro-Touring.com about using the vacuum source to suck out the air. It sounds like that didn't work for you, but wow it did for me. I was really surprised how much air I was able to pull out, and the pedal works perfectly now!

It took a couple of tries to find the best adapter to use to plug up the hose and create vacuum. Once I found the right one, I was able to put about 28" of vacuum on the line and let it sit. Bubble after bubble came up, although it sucked out some fluid also (I used the canister to catch as opposed to what they showed of just connecting the Mitivac without a canister). I also used the pedal to just barely push the piston and push out the little bubbles that can be trapped in the MC.

It's not a 'quick' process, but a heck of a lot easier than trying to push air out through the bleeder, at least with my setup. So I'm really glad you started this thread!
Quote:
Originally Posted by randy View Post
glad to help and to hear it fixed your issue
Bryan,

Glad it helped you out.

A quick update. So I tried the vacuum method - did not work (although now thinking back I did not let it sit with vacuum). Decided to pull the mc out, thinking I overstroked it, and damaged the seals. Spent 1hr getting it out, mounted it in the vice (with reservoir intact and the line plugged), and tried pushing the rod - the rod became rock hard. I couldn't move the rod. It was rock solid.

So, I mounted the mc back in the car, with the line still plugged. The pedal is rock solid. All good right? So I unplugged the line, and connected it in the slave and started pumping the pedal (found a procedure posted by Tick Perf on LS1tech). The pedal progressively got firm, except for the 1st 1 inch of pedal travel. I tried pumping just the 1st inch of pedal travel but still was not getting a complete firm pedal.

This was before I went on vacation for a week, so have not had a chance to work with it some more.

Open to additional ideas.
Old 05-24-2018, 01:35 PM

The first inch or so of my pedal is not the same as the rest. I assume there is some travel in the pedal required where the rod is not moving much, but I haven't gotten under the dash to look.

Did you see the part of the video where they showed pushing on the rod to remove the last bit of air that's trapped in the MC around the seals? I did that with vacuum applied also, and I did see small air bubbles come out of the system. Perhaps apply pressure and try just touching the pedal to engage that first bit of movement and watch for more air to escape?
Old 05-25-2018, 07:30 AM

Hey check out this video sounds like you have this problem. All our MC are angled so there will always be some trapped air unless you bench bleed the mc
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=s6cVYgzCU18
Old 05-25-2018, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeko23 View Post
Hey check out this video sounds like you have this problem. All our MC are angled so there will always be some trapped air unless you bench bleed the mc
Great video, helps to explain the fix.
Old 05-25-2018, 01:18 PM
Lateral-g Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeko23 View Post
Hi Joeko23,

I did bench bleed the m/c (sort of). As I mentioned in previous posts, I plugged the line from the m/c, removed the mc (as a unit with reservoir/line). The push rod was rock solid. I couldn't move it at all.

I knew when I unplugged the line and connect to the slave, there will air reintroduced into system. Guess I'll keep bleeding it.