Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Lateral-G Open Discussions > Project Updates
User Name
Password

Old 07-10-2018, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregWeld View Post
How big are your gaps? How much tin in the car? And on and on....

Order the stuff off Amazon --- or find it at your local race shop/store and take back the unopened tubes....
I found them on Amazon to. I'm going to order about 5 tubes and buy as needed from there.
Old 07-10-2018, 09:13 PM

Quote:
How big are your gaps? How much tin in the car? And on and on....

Order the stuff off Amazon --- or find it at your local race shop/store and take back the unopened tubes....
I have all kinds of little holes and access points in my rat trap... was always something I thought of "dealing with".

Amazon. Yep, thanks.
2004 NASA AIX Mustang LS2 #14
1964 Lincoln Continental
2014 4 tap Keezer
Old 07-16-2018, 02:10 PM
Lateral-g Supporting Member

Thanked 1,077 Times in 385 Posts
Default Reminder ----- get your bets on!

Hey --- very few of you have much confidence in your guessing skills --- WTF....

Get your $5 and plunk it down on a square!!

Just found out -- I think we're running BACKWARDS --- so that ought to open this wide up!!

http://shop.ronsuttonracetechnology....1155531&c=6106

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ +++++++++++++++++++++++
Old 07-16-2018, 03:25 PM

hey Sutton.... does Benny have any lap experience at Thunderhill running the opposite direction?
2004 NASA AIX Mustang LS2 #14
1964 Lincoln Continental
2014 4 tap Keezer
Old 07-16-2018, 03:51 PM

Quote:

Just found out -- I think we're running BACKWARDS --- so that ought to open this wide up!!

http://shop.ronsuttonracetechnology....1155531&c=6106

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ +++++++++++++++++++++++
This. Changes. Everything. I may have to pick up a few more squares and put some scientifical thought into it. I know the rearview mirror is huge but am now second guessing Ron’s “aero package”....no offense Ron but I’ve seen aero really start to unwork when the car gets turned around.
Old 07-16-2018, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Sutton View Post
Some of you may not have realized on our shake down day the car wasn't ready to race or run many laps because the interior tin wasn't sealed & the exhaust wasn't thermal barrier coated.

The cockpit needs to be fully sealed from the engine bay & fuel cell area. We use a 3M Fire Retardant Sealer good up to 2000°. The exhaust runs so close to the transmission, the gear oil would overheat in it if the exhaust was uncoated. So we Jet-Hot coat the inside & outside of the header tubes & exhaust. (Mufflers only on the outside) This knocks down the radiant heat around the transmission & driver by 40-45°.

The Mustang comes apart late this week to go to powder coat. In our Track-Warrior cars like Greg's ... the steel floor, firewall & bulkhead/rear deck sheet metal are welded to the chassis ... and get powder coated along with the chassis & cage assembly. When it goes back together for final assembly, Randy Chastain will utilize the 3M Fire Retardant Sealer on every seam under the car, at the firewall & at the rear bulkhead & decklid sheet metal. This prevents C0˛, smoke, oil, fire, etc from entering into the cockpit.

I'm outlining this important step, because many of you already have, or will, modify the sheet metal in your builds & NEED TO KNOW it's critical to seal it & what to use. It's NOT OK to leave any seam unsealed. It's unsafe.

The car will go back together later this month & get ready to go run the NASA event at Thunderhill Raceway in Willows California on Aug 4-5. Since the car wasn't built to fit a class, we will run it in the "Unlimited" class of NASA's Time Attack, known as TTU. Since it is an unlimited class, often there are Prototype race cars that run in TTU.

We won't stand a chance against any Prototype race cars, with our Trans Am style 70 Mustang. But if there are no Prototype race cars, we'll have a good shot at running up front. Our driver Benny Moon is super talented, but hasn't been in a real race car is many years, so he'll need to shake off the rust as we work up to speed.

I don't know how fast we'll get this first weekend. I plan to do only basic tuning for balance. But it would be fun to have a pool of folks betting on Benny's best lap of the weekend.

We have a betting pool ... similar to a football pool.
* 100 times between 1:50.0 & 1:59.9 lap time, a tenth of a second apart
* Pick one time or as many as your wallet can handle
* Closest time wins all the pool money & bragging rights
* Only 1 time, Best time of the weekend, counts

Pick your time(s) HERE.

I run in TTU and TT1 with my Viper's and yes indeed no normal car can hang with the prototypes. The proto's are deep into the 1'40's at Thunderhill. I wish they had their own class. I can beat all but the fastest of them, but I'm at 735rwhp, 2995 lbs and lots of aero. What is the RWHP of the mustang? You might be able to squeak into TT1 and be extremely competitive. Nasa uses a formula for the hp of your car, it's not the peak, it usually works out to about 10% less than your peak.
The Following User Says Thank You to TrackMuscle For This Useful Post:
GregWeld (07-16-2018)
Old 07-16-2018, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrackMuscle View Post
I run in TTU and TT1 with my Viper's and yes indeed no normal car can hang with the prototypes. The proto's are deep into the 1'40's at Thunderhill. I wish they had their own class. I can beat all but the fastest of them, but I'm at 735rwhp, 2995 lbs and lots of aero. What is the RWHP of the mustang? You might be able to squeak into TT1 and be extremely competitive. Nasa uses a formula for the hp of your car, it's not the peak, it usually works out to about 10% less than your peak.

Hope to see you out there!!

Are you running August 4/5th??
Old 07-16-2018, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrackMuscle View Post

Then it wouldn't be an UNLIMITED class....... I like the run what ya brung. The whole reason I built this car --- is because I hate rules. Rules just bring about cheating trying to make the class etc..... in TTU -- you run what you have and let the lap times speak for themselves. If you're not "competitive" -- then ya gotta bring more "whatever". My goal was never to win anything -- just be "up there". It's all just for fun and because......
Old 07-16-2018, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Then it wouldn't be an UNLIMITED class....... I like the run what ya brung. The whole reason I built this car --- is because I hate rules. Rules just bring about cheating trying to make the class etc..... in TTU -- you run what you have and let the lap times speak for themselves. If you're not "competitive" -- then ya gotta bring more "whatever". My goal was never to win anything -- just be "up there". It's all just for fun and because......
I hear ya! I run in both just so I can break more track records, but yeah worrying about cheaters sucks! I've got a stock ACR I run TT1 in and a 9 liter Viper I run TTU in, I've got 6 TT1 nasa records with the ACR and one in TTU with the 9 liter, I hope to add more soon. I've been following your build, been thinking about doing something similar but probably with a '69 Camaro body. I think I could end up being 350 lbs lighter than my current TTU car. Good luck at Thunderhill!
Old 07-16-2018, 06:36 PM

Quote:
This, to me, is why old school NASCAR was so much cooler than today. There's no denying the tech of today is far superior but it's boring because no one can show up with a killer combo that just blows everyone away.

This is also why road coarse racing with different classes on the track at one time is great. It allows you to see just what the difference is in the classes in real time.

Anyway, I'm rambling and need to go into the garage. Good luck, Greg. Hope you have fun and the car does well.

Current rides: 2000 BMW 540i/6 and 86 C10.

Former ride: 1979 Trans Am WS6: LT1/T56, Kore 3 C5/6 brakes, BMW 18in rims