Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Events > Track and Driving Events
User Name
Password

Old 06-07-2005, 08:10 PM

LIFT WITH YOUR KNEES, NOT YOUR BACK!

That sucks. Didn't Charley have the same problems last year with the Mule?
Old 06-07-2005, 08:16 PM
Supporting Member

...notice they qualified for Handicap Parking spot too

Scott just called from Nashville and said everything is good after a 10 pound bag of ice each morning. Charley had the same problem last year with the SAME fuel pump

SS
Old 06-07-2005, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LVCamaro
...notice they qualified for Handicap Parking spot too

Scott just called from Nashville and said everything is good after a 10 pound bag of ice each morning. Charley had the same problem last year with the SAME fuel pump

SS
Can I guess... is it brand "A"? Are you using the PWM step-down box for low throttle/cruise to cut down on the fuel flow (and therefore heating)?

When was it acting up on them... during sustained higher speed cruising, or during extended "putt-putt" sessions in slow/creeping traffic?

The problem is frustrating, but it's great to see they came up with a quick and dirty workaround so they can drive the car between stops, rather than tow it. The problem is definately correctable. A rather simple way to cure it is an air-to-fuel cooler in front of the car, plumbed into the return line after the pressure regulator. I haven't had a vapor lock problem on my car yet, even in around-town traffic in the heat on a low tank, but should the problem ever occur a cooler on the return line will be my first step towards correcting it.

I know Mercedes years ago used to wrap the return fuel line around the low side A/C line after the evaporator for exactly this reason. Worked great... as long as you ran the A/C in hot weather.

Last edited by Blown353; 06-07-2005 at 08:48 PM.
Old 06-07-2005, 08:45 PM
Supporting Member

Why didn't they just pour the ice in the gas tank?
Old 06-07-2005, 08:50 PM
Supporting Member

Yes!!!

Yes!!!

...and that's the exact plan for revising things after tour.

Charley finally proved to be worth having around, since he had experienced the exact same problem with that in-tank "A" pump [POS].

Scott says Hot Rod magazine is doing a magazine photo shoot tomorrow on the Velle, plus they're mounting a video cam on the deck lid as Jody and Scott drive some of the tour route...look for the deck lid to stay closed tomorrow!

SS
Old 06-07-2005, 08:58 PM

Let me know what you end up using as the fuel radiator Steve, I'm thinking of adding one to my car before it leaves me stranded somewhere (hopefully in front of a Home Depot or Lowes where copper tubing and ice chests can be found.) I have a couple large B&M/GM "Stacked Plate" tranny coolers laying around, but I'm not so sure I want to use one for fuel duty (even if they are pressure tested to 200 psi).

Troy

Last edited by Blown353; 06-07-2005 at 09:04 PM.
Old 06-07-2005, 09:09 PM
Supporting Member

I think Charley outed the "A" tank pump and installed TWO Bosch external pumps to correct his Mule problems. I don't recall him saying if he went with a feul line cooler, or not. The yellow Velle will definitely get a XL cooler of some sort, in addition to moving the regulator aft. I've used tranny coolers before without problems, so I'm leaning that way presently.

SS
Old 06-07-2005, 09:41 PM

I bet Charley's system is on a pressure or RPM switch so it only runs off one pump until load dictates the other is needed. That's another way to do it.

Now that you mention it, I guess the stacked plate tranny cooler would be OK... GM uses what appears to be that exact same design of stacked plate cooler for the fuel cooler on their Duramax trucks.
Old 06-07-2005, 10:05 PM
Supporting Member

Plus, he can switch to the cool pump if the primary overheats.
Old 06-07-2005, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRO2R69
I think Scott and Jody look good in hats...LOL
I liked Scott's skirt... Didn't know he was that kind of guy...