Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Events > Track and Driving Events
User Name
Password

Old 06-18-2015, 10:56 PM

Interesting that this same discussion, or at least similar, is going on over at the camaro5 forum. Not racing so much as track days.
Old 06-18-2015, 11:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by syborg tt View Post
Another thing people should seriously consider is a Hans Device.

Seriously I have no clue how to embed the video.

So just click the link please

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g40YatgE_CE

I agree 110%..
You'd be amazed at the arguments i hear for not wearing a head and neck restraint I believe it should be mandatory just like helmets and seat belts/harneses

Accelerating is optional...........stopping is mandatory. Your car WILL stop one way or another.
Old 06-19-2015, 08:41 AM
Lateral-g Supporting Member

Not to go too far off topic here, but in the "dirt biking" relm, i've seen a ton of injuries (head and body) by guys "just tooling around the camp" or "just gonna go for a "test" run". Seems thats when things do go wrong.

I read an insurance stat one time that said 95% of all auto accident occur within a mile or so from the home, probably true since statistically thats where your at most the time....

Point being, theres a 1 in 1 chance/probability your gonna die. You just dont know when. Ya ain't immortal (even for those of us that do believe in an afterlife). AND yes, i'd like to WALK (not wheel) my daughter down the aisle some day, and even see grand kids....

I've always been a "safety first" guy, I built my car with this intent, Its my lack of experience in this genre that while my intentions where righteous, I'll fell short of a "proper cage", "no cell", minimal fire equipement. Thats called experience or maturity......

My two cents...
Old 06-19-2015, 09:05 AM

Didnt even open the link to see what happened. As a matter of fact I refuse to look at any sort of wreck anybody ever posts. This **** can happen to anybody and I refuse to give it any energy.
Old 06-19-2015, 09:53 AM

well the last crash was on the track....and I put this one up because it was on the speed stop challenge ....just to show how fast it can go wrong, for no reason...Ken had just shifted to third and swung the car wide (left) to go into a right hander and dropped a tire off the track and it was done after that....the car picked up speed in the grass runoff..sailed across another (closed off) section of track hit a small rumble strip that popped the car about a foot in the air and into a barrier wall...that was at about 75-80 miles an hour ....just freeway speed......so next time someone says "I'm not going to track the car" I don't need all that safety stuff....remember thats why cars today have air bags, crumple zones, collapsible steering columns, impact absorbing crash bumpers, traction control and ABS, and WERE NOT TRACKING THOSE EITHER, thats just your daily driver
Bangshift Stories
I’m not the smartest guy at the track … but when he goes home … I’m still there testing, tuning, learning & getting faster.
Old 06-19-2015, 10:09 AM

The part about it being during the Speed Stop was the most eye opening...as the majority of us drivers there were wearing shorts and T-shirts, no fire suits or HANS devices required for that event.

Granted, that was a bit different Speed Stop course than the norm...while VERY fun...also had an element of danger to it as witnessed above.

Certainly something to think about at all future events.
Old 06-19-2015, 10:35 AM
Lateral-g Supporting Member

It happens while AutoX'ing too. Just this past year, I've seen it four times (once as a driver). End of the course, either a sweeper or a slalom toward the finish line. We all speed up to get the best time we can, tires cannot keep up with driver inputs and break loose. Fortunately, with one exception cones and egos were the only casualties.

Good lesson to for me to keep in mind when K-rails are present.

Old 06-21-2015, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by glassman View Post
Not to go too far off topic here, but in the "dirt biking" relm, i've seen a ton of injuries (head and body) by guys "just tooling around the camp" or "just gonna go for a "test" run". Seems thats when things do go wrong.
I'm guilty of that. Toss on a helmet and taking a test ride through a couple dunes after just unloading the bike.

Along these lines, thats alwasy why nervous on the first session after the lunch break. People get a little too frisky after letting the bikes/tires cool for an extended period and drop like flies in front of you.
Old 07-18-2015, 10:29 PM

On my commute Thursday -one of the worst ever- there were 5 separate wrecks. All worse than the original posted video. It can happen anywhere not just on the track. Am I going to stop driving to work? Of course not.

Regards

CurtiSS 69
Old 07-18-2015, 11:12 PM

This is one of the reasons I sold mine. I couldn't afford to burn it to the ground and walk away. I came to the realization that I was a flippin moron for running my 130,000 street car down a straightaway at 130 mph lap after lap. Safety, ha, the 4 point would have kept my body in one piece for the casket.

Do yourself a favor, build a safe race car or get a good life insurance policy. That way the old lady doesn't end up with a piece of charcoal and the kids.