Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Lateral-G Open Discussions > Open Discussion
User Name
Password

Old 01-19-2019, 06:28 PM

Default Engine debate New or salvaged

Hey folks,
In your honest opinion, do you think its worth while to buy a complete ready to run engine from Georgia's grave yards out of a ZL1, engine 6060 trans, all the bells and whistles.... OR a brand new crate 6.2 LSA engine with the pulley's, and crate 6060? I think most of the stuff you get when you buy a ready to run engine out of a wreck, you wouldn't use anyways when you are LS'ing a pro touring Camaro? Thanks in advance

Nick

1968 Pro touring Camaro
ALL DSE Suspension
2017 6.2L made of steel balls
Old 01-19-2019, 09:24 PM

I usually buy the pullouts. They're usually a better deal, and it leaves some $ left over for improvement (cam/heads, etc).

The new ones are good if you need the warranty, but honestly we've never had a warranty on any block in the 2yr/24,000 miles GM gives you on crate engines.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
NickBurns (01-19-2019)
Old 01-19-2019, 10:03 PM

That’s what I was thinking but I’m looking at 16K for a pull out vs 14K brand new ..... 16K gives you the rest of the pieces from the car ...... 14K gives you two crates pulleys through trans- no wiring etc-

1968 Pro touring Camaro
ALL DSE Suspension
Old 01-19-2019, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickBurns View Post
That’s what I was thinking but I’m looking at 16K for a pull out vs 14K brand new ..... 16K gives you the rest of the pieces from the car ...... 14K gives you two crates pulleys through trans- no wiring etc-

In my experience, the Crates don't come with starter, flywheel (flexplate only), wiring, the right oil pan, headers/manifolds, and no intake snorkel or ECM. The pullouts do. And pullouts are negotiable. Tell him you've got 14k, see if he bites.

Old 01-19-2019, 10:12 PM

That’s exactly what I will do - I’ve been looking for a private seller, salvage companies don’t seem to want to move on the price...... fingers crossed. Thanks for the follow up.

1968 Pro touring Camaro
ALL DSE Suspension
Old 01-19-2019, 10:39 PM

Quote:
That’s exactly what I will do - I’ve been looking for a private seller, salvage companies don’t seem to want to move on the price...... fingers crossed. Thanks for the follow up.

For the prices you're talking, you might also check with the sales ads here on LatG or even buying a core.

I have a 4.8 bored into a 5.7L that was built for road race boost that cost me 9800$. With a trans and harness/ECM you'd be in the same ball park. Especially if you're not long full tilt, like my block was.

A block with full ARP studding and forged pistons with balanced OEM crank and rods is good to close to 1000hp, and would have the cylinders and rocker issues fixed. Ported heads with stainless valves would still keep you under 9k for the assembled block. New in box trans can be had for 2500$. Then you just have to get mounts, exhaust, wiring and intake snorkel/MAF

Old 01-19-2019, 11:21 PM

Quote:

We're way away in CA, but there's a highly reputable shop here that builds engines and every once in a while, someone gives up on one.

Or I shop around for a cheap block core.

Try car-part.com. Might find a good deal on what you're looking for (they sell pullouts) Shipping is usually less than 1k even to go cross country.

Old 01-19-2019, 11:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjsgarage View Post
We're way away in CA, but there's a highly reputable shop here that builds engines and every once in a while, someone gives up on one.

Or I shop around for a cheap block core.

Try car-part.com. Might find a good deal on what you're looking for (they sell pullouts) Shipping is usually less than 1k even to go cross country.

I found some results nearby for you. Looked up a 2011 Vette without drysump with manual trans.

Old 01-20-2019, 12:19 PM

LSAs have recently gone down in price slightly since more and more people are using the latest and greatest LT4. I got my pullout LSA and TR6060 from eBay for $14k with like 10k miles on it. If I had to do it again I would definitely buy from a forum member. I’m not sure if he’s on latg. But he’s definitely on protouring. His name is loyaltyisking. Send him a PM he has great prices on pullouts. I think he was asking 12-13k for LSA TR6060. This is his Facebook if you want to contact them directly.

https://m.facebook.com/pages/categor...3162204134635/

In my opinion it’s not worth it to buy new because then you need to buy tranny, clutch, accessories, wire harness, PCM, oil pan. With pullout you’ll just need oil pan and wire harness, get PCM reflashed and that’s it. Also with pullout you can ask for the heat exchanger, heat exchanger Pump and fuel pump for free.
The Following User Says Thank You to joeko23 For This Useful Post:
NickBurns (01-20-2019)
Old 01-20-2019, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeko23 View Post
LSAs have recently gone down in price slightly since more and more people are using the latest and greatest LT4. I got my pullout LSA and TR6060 from eBay for $14k with like 10k miles on it. If I had to do it again I would definitely buy from a forum member. I’m not sure if he’s on latg. But he’s definitely on protouring. His name is loyaltyisking. Send him a PM he has great prices on pullouts. I think he was asking 12-13k for LSA TR6060. This is his Facebook if you want to contact them directly.

https://m.facebook.com/pages/categor...3162204134635/

In my opinion it’s not worth it to buy new because then you need to buy tranny, clutch, accessories, wire harness, PCM, oil pan. With pullout you’ll just need oil pan and wire harness, get PCM reflashed and that’s it. Also with pullout you can ask for the heat exchanger, heat exchanger Pump and fuel pump for free.

In will totally reach out today and thank you ! That’s all I was looking for. It seems an eBay we are roped into these commercial junk yards . You do make sense with all of the extras needed.

1968 Pro touring Camaro
ALL DSE Suspension