Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Lateral-G Open Discussions > Off Topic Forums
User Name
Password

Old 01-05-2018, 12:23 AM
Lateral-g Supporting Vendor

Have you guys been following the weed stocks? They are risky but easiest 300% return I've ever made. Thanks Greg for opening my eyes!
Old 01-05-2018, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMSOILGUY View Post
Have you guys been following the weed stocks? They are risky but easiest 300% return I've ever made. Thanks Greg for opening my eyes!
Cedar Rapids! I worked there for a while. Unfortunately, I only got to see it during the winter and dear lord that was the coldest winter I've ever seen. It was -25 in the morning for a week.

Outside of this thread I've looked into investment opportunities here, but all I've found with my little bit of research is penny stocks. Is there anything more developed than that yet?
Old 01-05-2018, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregWeld View Post
This is a fantastic question with so many answers and probably none of them right.

My personal take on it ----- some people are going to pick the right one ---- most people are going to lose their butts..... This entire field is so subject to the prevailing laws in a state - but the FEDS aren't so sure about all of it.... and then there's the whole "can't bank" issues.

My feeling was and has been this.... when we finally go all 50 states in - and the FED finally gives in and rolls with it ---- then do the big terbacky guys get in and steamroll everyone else? I have no idea - it's just a hypothetical question. They have the money - the marketing and the distribution... but do they want in and would people accept their products ----- or do people want the old "head shop" independents. I have NO IDEA. When I have no idea -- I don't put my money at risk. I just simply don't know where it's all going.
Here's the post that I remembered reading when I started looking into these stocks. It matched what I was seeing when looking at the options at the time.

Aside from direct investments, investing in the infrastructure required to get an operation up and running and/or keep it going seemed to be the safest approach at the time, but then you're back into agriculture investments (for the most part).
Old 01-05-2018, 09:26 AM
Lateral-g Supporting Member

Thanked 1,076 Times in 384 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMSOILGUY View Post

Good (lucky!) for you!

If I was going to invest in this "industry" - which it is - I'd pick a Weed ETF and let them do the homework.

I toured a grow op in Phoenix last time I was down (4 months ago) and the amount of A/C and lighting they had going was incredible.... and this was a 200,000 square foot indoor operation. Still, there's not enough of these big operations going to make a dent in lighting and HVAC.

There are infrastructure plays for the build outs -- HVAC -- Lighting etc but my view is that even if build outs tripled.... it probably wouldn't move the needle on the big publicly traded players. They would be moved up and down with home and commercial building and that's already going full tilt boogie.

AU DOC -- investing in penny stocks is the equivalent to craps in Las Vegas. If you'd have bought 10 good names when you first posted - you'd already be up 10% and have collected a couple dividends.
Old 01-05-2018, 10:21 AM

Quote:

AU DOC -- investing in penny stocks is the equivalent to craps in Las Vegas. If you'd have bought 10 good names when you first posted - you'd already be up 10% and have collected a couple dividends.

Haha! Yeah, no question there. Like 10% since Jan 1 , but that's just a short term blip. I have my money in what I consider stable investments, but I like to keep an eye out for the next industry. I'm not opposed to the occasional gamble, but it's never with any significant amount of money, and only with money I would have wasted on something else I didn't need. My retirement funds don't go into anything as risky as a penny stock. There's always some risk with investing, but it doesn't need to be like a trip to Vegas risky.

All that to say, if this industry is ever legalized at the federal level, it's going to be big. I have no doubt about that. It may take a few more presidents, but I think it will happen eventually. So I don't think it's a bad idea to keep an eye on it, and look for legitimate investment opportunities (not penny stocks).
Old 01-05-2018, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AU Doc View Post
Haha! Yeah, no question there. Like 10% since Jan 1 , but that's just a short term blip. I have my money in what I consider stable investments, but I like to keep an eye out for the next industry. I'm not opposed to the occasional gamble, but it's never with any significant amount of money, and only with money I would have wasted on something else I didn't need. My retirement funds don't go into anything as risky as a penny stock. There's always some risk with investing, but it doesn't need to be like a trip to Vegas risky.

All that to say, if this industry is ever legalized at the federal level, it's going to be big. I have no doubt about that. It may take a few more presidents, but I think it will happen eventually. So I don't think it's a bad idea to keep an eye on it, and look for legitimate investment opportunities (not penny stocks).

Completely agree! On all points.
Old 01-06-2018, 06:41 AM

Default Marijuana investing

Here's a really well done piece on how important this industry has become - vis-a-vis the political outcry about Jeff Sessions latest idiot move.

https://www.politico.com/magazine/st...ongress-216251
Old 01-06-2018, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Here's a really well done piece on how important this industry has become - vis-a-vis the political outcry about Jeff Sessions latest idiot move.

https://www.politico.com/magazine/st...ongress-216251
I didn't want to get into politics even though I did call him a rat. Seriously, he looks like one, and I need to stop before I go off on a rant. My long term hope is that congress does start passing laws to stop this executive branch wishy washy **** that changes every time the executive does. You can't continue to have the greatest economy in the world if what's legal changes every 4 or 8 years due to the whims of the asshole who holds the title of "leader" at the time.

Current rides: 2000 BMW 540i/6 and 86 C10.

Former ride: 1979 Trans Am WS6: LT1/T56, Kore 3 C5/6 brakes, BMW 18in rims
Old 01-22-2018, 02:24 PM

Interesting..... and how I personally feel as well. It’s always about EARNINGS in the end despite all the background noise.

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/goldm...123353880.html
Old 01-22-2018, 05:03 PM

Thanks for keeping this thread alive guys! I haven’t been active on forums much the past few years but this is one thread I pay attention to.