Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Lateral-G Open Discussions > Project Updates
User Name
Password

Old 10-28-2018, 03:37 PM

Looks to be handling very well! Now it’s time for some HP. Ha
Old 10-28-2018, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jarhead View Post
Very cool Lance Damn that looks like a workout!

How many gears do you use 1 through 3?

Thank you for sharing
You are welcome...always enjoy sharing our fun on course!! We typically get into 2nd gear and leave it there for these types of courses.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegas69 View Post
Looks to be handling very well! Now it’s time for some HP. Ha
Thanks! Wait until I post the faster videos after we tuned on it for a bit.

I read your reply to my wife and she politely disagreed with you.
The Following User Says Thank You to SSLance For This Useful Post:
jarhead (10-28-2018)
Old 10-28-2018, 07:32 PM

After our first initial runs, Mike and I debriefed about what changes we thought it needed. Because we were co-driving in the same heat in run group 2 and run group 3, shock changes were really all we had time to do between runs.

The back was hopping in the two sweepers and we wanted to work on that first. Basically the inside rear tire was lifting which de-cambered the outside rear which would slip and loose grip setting the inside rear on the ground again where it would then lift again, rinse and repeat. It wasn't step out and spin loose but it was unsettling especially to Mike since he'd never driven the car and wasn't sure what it was going to do.

We started by taking 4 clicks of rebound out of the rear shocks and each made a run. It was better, maybe 60-70% better... After the next runs I took 2 more clicks of rebound out of the rears making it very comfortable.

Here were my fastest timed run and Mike's fastest time run.

We then decided that it was pushing a bit if we didn't get completley off of the brakes before turning in after the one big braking zone...so we took 2 clicks of compression out of the front shocks and that helped some. In hindsight, I should have put more rear brake in as well...that would have helped to keep from locking the inside front tire up. Will try that next event.

Here are my fastest Time only run as well as Mike's. I didn't get a time on that run and that was disappointing because I felt it was a good one. Mike's was the fastest of all of our runs and later on I'll lay them side by side in a video just to see if I was close to his blazing fast time.

Overall the car did great. Mike's last run was a half second faster than Tommy's Camaro which regularly is 1 - 1.5 seconds faster than me. I was only a few tenths off Tommy in the fastest scored run and possibly faster in my run with no time.

I can't wait to tune on it a bit more at one more local event before hitting Good Guys and then changing everything to try to make it work on that style of course. I know this...it won't have the body roll that it had there last spring, that's for sure...
Old 10-31-2018, 04:30 PM

Default New and rebuilt parts

Great vids, Lance. The car definitely looks a lot flatter in the vids and it's nice to see the shock adjustments, though small, made a difference. Looks like you made a big move in the right direction, especially after making a lot of changes at once!

2002 S-10, Daily Driver and autoX
1966 Chevelle MALIBU ( mine since 1971) Drag car converting to a track car!
Old 11-12-2018, 01:05 PM

So, at SEMA a week or so ago...I stumbled across these and had to have them.

They are Ridetech's new R-Joint cartridges that press into the axle housing ears on my 9" (which still had rubber bushings in them. I'm not sure why I never upgraded the axle bushings but now is as good of a time as any I guess.

Here is a picture showing the rubber bushing on the left and R-Joint on the right.

I must say that after putting these in the rear end articulates MUCH easier than with the the rubber bushings. It HAS to be better now right?

Ridetech also has a new rear sway bar setup for A-Body cars with this slick adjusting collar to let you dial the bar rate in easier.

Bret mentioned it would also work on a G-Body with a few adjustments so they made me up one and it's on the way to me now. I should have it in time to get it installed before heading to Good Guys on Thursday.

When I've run rear bars in the past (tried several times) I had a lot of trouble with the bar picking the inside rear tire up in turns. This had a LOT to do with the outside front tire compressing so much and the resulting diagonal roll lifting the inside rear. Now that I have basically doubled the front sway bar rate, the inside rear has way less tendency to want to lift the tire which has me wanting to try a rear bar once again. This means that I'll have to soften the rear spring rate considerably as well.

I'll have a trunk full of parts and tools with me to make changes at the track if needed, but I think we have a pretty good idea of where to start with the setup. Worst case I can quickly put it back to where I know it works by changing springs and disconnecting the rear bar...but I hope that won't be necessary and I can just work on fine tuning the new setup with way more ways to adjust it now.

Hope to see a bunch of you there at the Duel in the Desert...should be a hoot...
The Following User Says Thank You to SSLance For This Useful Post:
syborg tt (11-22-2018)
Old 11-19-2018, 11:45 AM

So I've had a day or so to decompress after the Goodguys 21st Southwest Nationals and thought I'd share my feelings. Last spring I attended my very first Good Guys autocross and loved it, but I knew I had to make some changes to my car so it would handle this kind of course better. With a much stiffer front sway bar to control the roll better, bump stops to limit front suspension travel to keep front tires off the fenders, and steering stops to keep the front tires off the frame...I felt we were ready. After watching the first run, Chris Smith suggested a major shock change, then we made another major shock change after the 2nd run...picking up almost a second on each subsequent run. Before the 4th run we made one more major change going to the stiffer front bar setting and it woke the car up. That run got me within 0.162 seconds of making the top 32 spots and the Duel in the Desert and I'm pretty happy with that. I'm certain that if I had a few more runs in the heat with that last change, I could have gotten into the show.

I have to talk a bit about my StopTech big brake kit on the car. I still run a 1985 master cylinder and booster along with a 1985 disc\drum distribution valve aided only by an add on rear brake proportioning valve and the Stoptech brakes. With the rest of the car now very sorted, I can adjust the front to rear bias with about a turn and a half on the prop valve, going from locking the fronts first to locking the rears first...or somewhere in between. And this brake pad\rotor combination works perfectly...ice cold to last lap on a 20 minute road course track session including low dust street driving. I've had them on the car for a year now with a LOT of events under my belt and the pads and rotors still look almost brand new. Stoptech is adding more and more muscle car application brackets to adapt their big brake kits to the cars we love...and I highly recommend them as a fantastic all around brake package.

The new R-Joints from RideTech in the rear suspension really helped tame the back down. I had zero issues with lifting the rear tire last weekend. In fact, I never touched an adjustment on the rear of the car all weekend...it just flat out worked. The new valving in the Ridetech shocks worked out great as well. I now have a base setting to make them perform great on both big SCCA style courses as well as tight tough Good Guys style courses...with just a slight twist of a couple knobs.

The rest of the car just did what it does...horsepower is good, all systems held up to the abuse, FORGELINE wheels look awesome, and the car seemed to be right in line time wise with the rest of the owner\driver cars in a stacked field of competitors from across the Country. The driver actually needs more work now than the car does in order to really be competitive.

Here's a video of my fast lap of the weekend.

Thanks to Allison for taking the picture below, can't wait for a few more on track pics to make their way to the web for viewing since I know there were several great photogs there snapping pics.

Now I'm on to getting ready for the next event...once I rest up..
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SSLance For This Useful Post:
syborg tt (11-22-2018), vthornhill (03-24-2019)
Old 11-22-2018, 06:24 AM
Lateral-g Supporting Member

Thanked 1,542 Times in 850 Posts
Default 1985 Monte Carlo SS known as Barney

Great update and I'm looking forward to driving my car with the new R-Joints.

Thank you for sharing the info on the Stop Tech brakes.

Keep the updates coming and I love watching the videos and I love the fact that you did a little clap at the end.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Projects - Syborg TT 4.3l v6 Mini-Truck, 2nd Chance Camaro & SLP575 Bumble Bee - 4Sale

Last edited by syborg tt; 11-22-2018 at 06:27 AM.
Old 11-22-2018, 07:59 PM

X2 on what Marty said!

Great write up on your GG weekend and the upgrade results! Good to see things worked to your advantage, but just missing the cut is a bummer. See you this Sunday at AZSolo?

2002 S-10, Daily Driver and autoX
1966 Chevelle MALIBU ( mine since 1971) Drag car converting to a track car!

Last edited by rixtrix1; 11-22-2018 at 11:30 PM.
Old 11-23-2018, 09:55 PM

It's taken me a few days but I just got caught up on this thread. Which btw is one of the best ones I've read and it's reassuring people still update posts!! Ive learned a lot and the hardest thing for me is knowing when it's me or the car misbehaving and then knowing what to adjust AND how much.
My car has similar mods and similar problems. Like quick performance 9" and ran it without seals and leaked fluid one side only!! But no issues with sealed bearings. I have rotted frame and body mounts... (Still need to fix that) and loose on corner exit.
Old 11-24-2018, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by syborg tt View Post
Great update and I'm looking forward to driving my car with the new R-Joints.

Thank you for sharing the info on the Stop Tech brakes.

Keep the updates coming and I love watching the videos and I love the fact that you did a little clap at the end.
Thanks Marty...I was pretty stoked at the pickup in time...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rixtrix1 View Post
X2 on what Marty said!

Great write up on your GG weekend and the upgrade results! Good to see things worked to your advantage, but just missing the cut is a bummer. See you this Sunday at AZSolo?
Yep, I'll be there...hope the school is going well today.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PunisherGTO View Post
It's taken me a few days but I just got caught up on this thread. Which btw is one of the best ones I've read and it's reassuring people still update posts!! Ive learned a lot and the hardest thing for me is knowing when it's me or the car misbehaving and then knowing what to adjust AND how much.
My car has similar mods and similar problems. Like quick performance 9" and ran it without seals and leaked fluid one side only!! But no issues with sealed bearings. I have rotted frame and body mounts... (Still need to fix that) and loose on corner exit.
Thanks!! I can't believe you read the whole thing!! It's been a journey for sure. Any questions just ask away, our cars aren't that much different.