Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Lateral-G Open Discussions > Project Updates
User Name
Password

Old 04-17-2018, 08:07 PM

So, as I mentioned before, one of the goals of this build was to fix some of the issues I could never seem to get lined out on the car and ultimately have a reliable, fun driver that would stop, go fast, corner like a beast, have the perfect stance, etc...overall, I wanted to challenge myself as much as I could, not overstep my abilities and turn out the closest thing to my dreams that my budget would allow.
One of the biggest problems I've fought over the years was simply getting the car to stop. Sounds simple but way back when, I put factory style manual front discs on the car and they worked perfectly. Then, after a time, I wanted to put rear disc brakes (still manual) on the car for both the cool factor and function. That was my biggest mistake ever! Not just the brakes, but the supplier I chose. I won't name names but for ease of reference, I'll just refer to them as a "Small ****ty Brake Company" or SSBC for short. It was hard to determine which was worse, the brake kit or the customer service. Anyway, for years, I battled trying to get the brakes to stop, stop dragging, and everything else...too stubborn to just put the drums back on and eventually it just made it so miserable and frustrating to drive that the car sat almost year around for several years.
With that said, one area I was not going to compromise on was my brake system. I determined that among many great mfg's out there, I would go with Baer and I'd make every effort to use only one supplier's parts to hopefully get the best outcome.
After I ordered the brakes and the Quadralink, the more I thought about it, the more I knew I'd never be completely satisfied with my original subframe and if I was gonna spend money upgrading my subframe, then I might as well just spend the difference and buy what I felt would be a subframe I could grow into that would also check the "handling" and "steering" boxes while simultaneously lending a hand in the "braking" area! That's where this thing of beauty comes in...Name:  image.jpg
Views: 0
Size:  120.0 KB
Old 04-17-2018, 08:16 PM

While waiting what seemed like an eternity for parts to start showing up, I had the body shop start cutting and replacing what few panels were still original to the car...I never thought I could enjoy seeing my car cut up that much but knowing I had a plan, parts on the way and people I trusted doing the work made all the difference!
Attached Images

Old 04-17-2018, 08:19 PM

Trunk pan installed...mini tubs are next...
Attached Images

Old 04-17-2018, 08:20 PM

Driver and passenger toe panels installed...
Attached Images

Old 04-17-2018, 08:27 PM

Trunk area complete...ready to install the DSE Quadralink parts...will have to have the rear tail panel murdered out to cover up where the paint lifted from welding the trunk pan to the rear tail panel. Always liked that look anyway but had to bring the paint line down lower than what it would've been from the factory...at least it's still hidden by the bumper.
Attached Images

Old 04-17-2018, 08:30 PM

Quadralink pockets and rear coil-over crossmember installed...
Attached Images

Old 04-17-2018, 08:33 PM

Finally got the call from the body shop that it was ready to bring home...now it's my turn to take the ball and run!
Attached Images

Old 04-17-2018, 08:37 PM

Got it home, jacked up and began stripping all the stuff off that I wouldn't be using again....which was basically everything!
Attached Images

Old 04-17-2018, 09:13 PM
Lateral-g Supporting Member

Awesome looks like you have a great start and some nice parts. Keep the updates coming.
Old 04-17-2018, 09:34 PM

Love this pic for some reason! This is the same place/position this thing would stay in for the next 6 months...to this very day, actually, although not for much longer but I'll get to that part later.

One thing I didn't mention yet was the importance of this build to me on an emotional level. As I said, I've had this car for 26 years...it's been wrecked by me, painted by me, disassembled more times than I care to count, stolen from my driveway by a couple of D-bags and totaled out while running from the cops. It's also been loved by me, hated by me and enjoyed by me, my wife and two young boys. But it was by necessity that I decided to turn this car into the car I'd always dreamed it would be. Shortly after my wife and I were engaged, she was diagnosed with breast cancer at age 25. After surgery and some treatment, we were able to move forward with life, got married, had two wonderful boys 11 months apart (that's a whole other story), and went about living. It was 7 years later that her cancer came back and had spread to her lungs, so again we went thru various treatments and therapies and we stayed positive and kept the faith and stayed focused on living. By age 37, it had spread to her brain and by age 38 she had won her battle and was resting in her eternal home.

I only mention this because I learned many things in those years we were together (20 in all)...many things about myself, about my faith in Christ and about how amazing and selfless a gift she was to me. Among those things I've learned and tried to instill in my boys is that at the end of this life, having watched my best friend take her last breaths, our legacy is the only thing we leave behind in this world that can continue to make an impact once we're gone. How we treat people, how we deal with people both personally and professionally is what we leave as a testament to our character.

So after being on the back burner for a long time, this project was born from a necessity to keep my mind focused on something productive as much as it was a desire to make it a project of bringing the boys and I together to build something we could enjoy while at the same time teaching them the same skills my Dad taught me...

I promise I won't rain on the parade again! But sometimes the back story is the main story!
Attached Images

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Gmachine1911 For This Useful Post:
jarhead (10-19-2018), orangevert (03-05-2019), Roscoe03 (06-24-2022), syborg tt (12-29-2018)