...

Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Lateral-G Open Discussions > Project Updates
User Name
Password



Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1161  
Old 08-15-2018, 03:48 PM
glassman's Avatar
glassman glassman is offline
Lateral-g Supporting Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Livermore
Posts: 2,440
Thanks: 96
Thanked 63 Times in 48 Posts
Default

Sorry to hear about you putting it back together, i was hoping to pick it up for 20 cents on the dollar

Love this car alot, one of my favorite 69's, from the color to the rims to the "performance" (stuff happens,,,,right?)

I think i read it right, a 454 LS right?

Anyways, best, mike
__________________
Mike
Reply With Quote
  #1162  
Old 08-16-2018, 10:40 AM
Matt@BOS's Avatar
Matt@BOS Matt@BOS is offline
Lateral-g Supporting Vendor
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 2,028
Thanks: 2
Thanked 28 Times in 22 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by glassman View Post
Sorry to hear about you putting it back together, i was hoping to pick it up for 20 cents on the dollar

Love this car alot, one of my favorite 69's, from the color to the rims to the "performance" (stuff happens,,,,right?)

I think i read it right, a 454 LS right?

Anyways, best, mike
Mike, Iím sorry you didnít buy it for 20 cents on the dollar too. Youíre honestly way better off waiting for me to dump a ton of money into it, sort out all the issues and then sell it for 50 cents on the dollar.

...and yes 454 all aluminum LS7, well technically it might be a 457.
__________________
http://bestofshowcoachworks.com

(760)480.0227

1969 Camaro - always broken GM Design winner
1965 Mustang - widebody fastback
2006 Coyote swapped "Rental Car"

Up next:
Steve's GT40
Reply With Quote
  #1163  
Old 08-16-2018, 11:59 AM
rustomatic rustomatic is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: ATL
Posts: 734
Thanks: 11
Thanked 51 Times in 30 Posts
Default

With all this talk of special builder-specific LS stuff going wrong (I think I remember the big-time builder you mentioned at Sonoma), can we at least hear that the crate motor in your awesome white Mustang still works correctly?

Your (expensive) experience reminds me of why I gave up on both machine shops and automatic transmission rebuilders in the late 1990s: They always seemed to require unnecessary return trips, sometimes including court.

Here's looking forward to seeing the IRS go into this car!
Reply With Quote
  #1164  
Old 08-16-2018, 02:05 PM
Matt@BOS's Avatar
Matt@BOS Matt@BOS is offline
Lateral-g Supporting Vendor
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 2,028
Thanks: 2
Thanked 28 Times in 22 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustomatic View Post
With all this talk of special builder-specific LS stuff going wrong (I think I remember the big-time builder you mentioned at Sonoma), can we at least hear that the crate motor in your awesome white Mustang still works correctly?

Your (expensive) experience reminds me of why I gave up on both machine shops and automatic transmission rebuilders in the late 1990s: They always seemed to require unnecessary return trips, sometimes including court.

Here's looking forward to seeing the IRS go into this car!
Yeah, the Mustang's engine is still running strong (knock on wood)! There isn't anything too radical with it though. All of the aftermarket parts on it have undergone factory durability testing. At the end of the day, I think you're always choosing between reliability and power. I know after two to three years, I'll probably refreshing the engine in my Camaro again.
__________________
http://bestofshowcoachworks.com

(760)480.0227

1969 Camaro - always broken GM Design winner
1965 Mustang - widebody fastback
2006 Coyote swapped "Rental Car"

Up next:
Steve's GT40
Reply With Quote
  #1165  
Old 08-16-2018, 02:15 PM
WILWAXU WILWAXU is offline
Lateral-g Supporting Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 960
Thanks: 533
Thanked 84 Times in 62 Posts
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt@BOS View Post
Yeah, the Mustang's engine is still running strong (knock on wood)! There isn't anything too radical with it though. All of the aftermarket parts on it have undergone factory durability testing. At the end of the day, I think you're always choosing between reliability and power. I know after two to three years, I'll probably refreshing the engine in my Camaro again.
Well.. you keep the Mustang's RPM's so low.. it should live forever
__________________
John Brown
1971 Nova - Project Car
1990 Silverado - Ridetech StreetGRIP
2017 Camaro SS 1LE
A 'few' Fox Body Mustangs
Instagram @wilwaxu
Facebook @wilwaxu
Reply With Quote
  #1166  
Old 08-18-2018, 01:25 PM
Matt@BOS's Avatar
Matt@BOS Matt@BOS is offline
Lateral-g Supporting Vendor
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 2,028
Thanks: 2
Thanked 28 Times in 22 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by WILWAXU View Post
Well.. you keep the Mustang's RPM's so low.. it should live forever
I should probably raise the rev limiter. its set so low I keep bouncing off of it.

I'm working on getting the major stuff on the Camaro done this weekend so we can hopefully fire it this coming week!
__________________
http://bestofshowcoachworks.com

(760)480.0227

1969 Camaro - always broken GM Design winner
1965 Mustang - widebody fastback
2006 Coyote swapped "Rental Car"

Up next:
Steve's GT40
Reply With Quote
  #1167  
Old 08-18-2018, 10:22 PM
WILWAXU WILWAXU is offline
Lateral-g Supporting Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 960
Thanks: 533
Thanked 84 Times in 62 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt@BOS View Post
I should probably raise the rev limiter. its set so low I keep bouncing off of it.
where it set now?
__________________
John Brown
1971 Nova - Project Car
1990 Silverado - Ridetech StreetGRIP
2017 Camaro SS 1LE
A 'few' Fox Body Mustangs
Instagram @wilwaxu
Facebook @wilwaxu
Reply With Quote
  #1168  
Old 08-19-2018, 03:02 PM
Matt@BOS's Avatar
Matt@BOS Matt@BOS is offline
Lateral-g Supporting Vendor
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 2,028
Thanks: 2
Thanked 28 Times in 22 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by WILWAXU View Post
where it set now?
Itís set at 8k, which is safe, and gives some room for over revs on shifts. The rotating assembly is balanced up to 8400rpm and nobody really seems to talk about when the valvetrain starts to to get unhappy.
__________________
http://bestofshowcoachworks.com

(760)480.0227

1969 Camaro - always broken GM Design winner
1965 Mustang - widebody fastback
2006 Coyote swapped "Rental Car"

Up next:
Steve's GT40
Reply With Quote
  #1169  
Old 08-30-2018, 06:19 PM
Matt@BOS's Avatar
Matt@BOS Matt@BOS is offline
Lateral-g Supporting Vendor
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 2,028
Thanks: 2
Thanked 28 Times in 22 Posts
Default

Okay, time for a few photos, and some tech! If you're building a car, or sorting one out, hopefully this info might be of use.

The Art Morrison front Subframe bolted right into the car. To run the Dailey dry sump we had to notch one of the motor mount stands on the AME subframe. We also machined a set of offset aluminum bushings for the rack in order to drop it down a little and get its lines to clear underneath the dry sump pump. We may decide to go with a Woodward unit in the future. I had a DSE 20:1 rack. Its been very reliable, but it feels like there is a little squishyness to it (maybe bushings are partly to blame). I installed an AGR 15:1 unit before running LS Fest West, which was the final event in the car before rebuilding it. Steering was noticeably faster and more "direct" feeling. Maybe its just me, but the initial turn in on the 20:1 rack is vague and difficult to feel. Once it is turned in, it seems much more precise when adding steering input. Before you guys tell me that its bushings or slip angle in the tires, I tested back to back.

Next up on the suspension, would be the billet 1" drop spindles from Lateral Dynamics, along with prototype adjustable A arms. These arms allow for fine tuning camber, caster and track width.

I also put together a splined Speedway engineering swabar and drop down mounts so that the bar will not interfere with, or limit steering angle. After a bunch of testing and measuring, we found that the tie rods would be the first thing to hit at full lock. With a pair of rack limiters, I think we would be able to run a 12" wheel up front, and be in board enough to turn the tires at a low ride height without hitting the fenders.

I also redid part of my exhaust for ground clearance. At some point I'm going to change header flanges.









[IMG]https://lateral-g.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=66784&stc=1&d=15356622 58[?IMG]

__________________
http://bestofshowcoachworks.com

(760)480.0227

1969 Camaro - always broken GM Design winner
1965 Mustang - widebody fastback
2006 Coyote swapped "Rental Car"

Up next:
Steve's GT40
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:45 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Copyright Lateral-g.net