Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Technical Discussions > Shop & Equipment
User Name
Password

Old 02-24-2018, 12:48 PM

Looks like a perfect set up to me. What software are you using for the renderings?
Old 02-24-2018, 03:28 PM

Thanks!

It's the free trial version of Sketchup. My brother did the initial build of the building then sent it to me to mess around with.
Old 02-24-2018, 05:27 PM

Lance, I’m no HVAC expert but I’d at least talk to the folks doing the house and see what it’d cost to extend the duct down the middle of the shop. 30’ of duct, some strapping and a couple drops with diffusers...that’s two guys half a day, cheap. Plan the work while the electrical is getting done and a lift is onsite, they’ll be in and out of there before most folks roll outta bed.

Do yourself and the heat pump a favor and install a system not just a component.

Place looks great and your sketchup skills are stellar!

Last edited by DBasher; 02-26-2018 at 01:05 PM.
Old 02-24-2018, 10:24 PM

We had a similar air handler at our old commercial building in KC, with a duct running halfway across the top of the back wall of the shop with vents facing out toward the middle of the room and one vent on the end. The majority of the air went out the end of the duct across another 25' where it hit the wall and came down. The shop as a whole stayed pretty dang comfortable.

My thought is the 5 ton air handler will move a LOT of air....in a hurry... The air has to go somewhere, typically it'll keep moving until it hits something that will stop it (the wall at door end of shop). I understand there may be a 5 degree difference between one end of the shop to the other but as over sized as the handler is, it should be fine.

The other option is ductwork 16' up in the air along the ceiling, I don't think I'd like duct hanging down 6-8' below the ceiling. Problem with that is...now you are trying to condition almost twice the amount of air.

We'll see, I can always add duct work later if needed.
Old 02-26-2018, 01:04 PM

I’ve read a few books and know you’re correct about two things. That unit will move a lot of air and it is oversized.

I’m sure it’ll be just fine.
Old 03-09-2018, 11:23 AM

I've got some updated outside pics if anyone is interested?

The builder finished "their version" of the final grade a couple of days ago. It shows pretty much what the lot will lay out like. We have narrowed the landscape contractors down to two and are tweaking the final plans now. Whichever one we chose will be able to hit the ground running right after we close April 12th.

The front yard and driveway...

Area directly behind the RV Garage...

I'm having 1/2" screened rock put down behind and beside the RV garage for parking, turn around and such. The car trailer will be tucked in between the shop and fence when not in use.

The outside AC condensor for the shop will sit along the back wall between the pool heater and the garage door and a Pool Equipment wall will hide the equipment so it can't be seen from the pool area.

Future plans call for a firepit area on this side of the pool from the house. For now we are putting a BBQ island over on the side of the travertine deck closest to the fence.

I've chosen a company to finish the floors in shop and house garage, this is the process they'll use.

– Grind and Seal
-perform 30 grit diamond grind in order to expose salt and pepper aggregate
-patch minor cracks, joints and spalls using a cementitious repair mortar
-perform 80 grit finish grind
-apply clear polyaspartic sealer at approx. 4-6 mils thickness

The Polyaspartic is a clear epoxy that will protect the smoothed out concrete will making it easy to clean and also easy to repair if necessary. They plan to start the day we close as well.

Not much else has happened inside the shop in a while. Waiting on electric meter to be set so they can finish the install of the third door opener and tidy up a few other loose ends. Then one final touch up paint and it's ready.

The house is close also, carpet is down, final electric and plumb done, working on prepping for final paint and appliances. And odds and ends...LOTS of odds and ends...
Old 03-09-2018, 11:27 AM
Lateral-g Supporting Member

Thanked 1,077 Times in 385 Posts

Hey! Get some water in that pool!

I'll be down Friday the 16th -- planning to hit GoodGuys on Saturday (maybe even Friday...)

WOW --- that yard sure looks different than when I saw it last time!!
Old 03-09-2018, 12:45 PM

They will put the turbo heads in the pool next Monday...then it'll be ready for the final interior finish, then water.

So, you'll finally get to meet Barney on Sat, cool. I'm taking the RV and camping at GGs all weekend, I expect you to look me up while there. I'll have my extra helmet with me just in case...
Old 03-09-2018, 04:04 PM

Beautiful!

And I LOVE that driveway, so much nicer than concrete!

Joe

My 68 Torino
Old 03-09-2018, 04:36 PM

Thanks Joe!

I like the looks of the pavers as well. Not sure about how the upkeep on it will go though. Trying to decide if I should attempt to seal them or just let them be? Will also need to be a bit more careful with my "racer friends" and letting them park their leaky cars on it.