Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Technical Discussions > Engine
User Name
Password

Old 07-13-2018, 12:41 AM
Lateral-g Supporting Member

Default Fuel line routing?

Hello my pro-touring brothers and sisters I am here for the wisdom of the collective! I had a slow leak in my fuel line that was driving me nuts. I have the kit to check hose and tubing integrity, but could never find the leak sometimes it would take 2-3 days to deflate but it was still deflating. Fuel leak NO GOOD!
I found it was tubing that I must have adjusted the tubing cutter too tight too quickly. I trimmed it back but the tubing was all dinged up so I had to go further to get a good seal of the Swagelok fitting. Before I made the second cut I tried my last piece of HS 79 hose and it was going to make it, but the second tubing cut changed that. When I tried the hose for length the way I wanted to run it damn 1-1/2" short! I have one option to run it and have enough hose but not sure about the routing.
The pictures below show the two different routing opotions. Opinions welcome.
The way it's too short will take a 4' piece and not use it all of expensive hose.

This how it used to be

This is how far back I had to cut it back.

This is where I was going to run it. 3" exhaust going in here too.

Here's where it gets questionable.

I think this is where they figure you should run it.

The last picture is where I go short a new piece would be $130 I already have the fittings. I don't want to risk the safety of passengers or the car. I also thought a small piece of stainless tubing to get the connection to the other side of the tank strap and secure it to the tank where Rick's provides, I just don't want to jerry rig it with too many connections..
Let me know what you think.

Thanks in advance.

Old 07-13-2018, 10:10 AM

Where there is line rubbing on line .Either reroute it slightly and or two Adel clamps to separate them.
Old 07-15-2018, 11:36 AM

WaynieZ,

1. Your decision to use Swagelok fittings and tubing for a pro touring fuel system is brilliant. Not cheap, but brilliant.
2. I have worked 26 years in the nuclear world where we use Swagelok extensively due to the double ferrule design of the fitting. We run 2235 +/- 15 psig on these fittings connected directly to the reactor vessel seal table!
3. I used Swagelok extensively on my 68 Camaro including the entire fuel system. I even had Swagelok make two custom fittings for my fuel filter.
4. All the above being said, I have three comments.

A. Run your exhaust first. At least mock it up so you can ensure the fuel lines are at least two inches away.
B. Swagelok has custom length hoses that you pick both end designs, not too expensive, and killer quality. Stay with Swagelok throughout. Don't know what hose you are running in the pictures you provided but it does not appear to be Swagelok.
C. When you cut Swagelok tubing, progress only 1/8 turn on your tubing cutter, then make two "rounds", then progress with another 1/8 turn and so forth. This is per Swagelok technical.

I cannot comment on your issue you asked about simply because I do not fully understand, but if it would help, I could send pics of my 68 Camaro undercarriage which would include DSE quadralink with DSE fuel tank, 3" exhaust, and FULL Swagelok throughout. It's up to you..,

Hang in there and let me know if I need to jack the car and send pics..
No worries, either way.
The Following User Says Thank You to 572Camaro For This Useful Post:
RdHuggr68 (07-15-2018)
Old 07-15-2018, 12:30 PM

I agree, it's all speculation until you get exhaust on it.
Old 07-15-2018, 02:24 PM
Lateral-g Supporting Member

Thanked 1,076 Times in 384 Posts

I have only ONE suggestion ----

Screw the COST when it comes to routing fluids --------- do it correctly ONCE.

Okay -- Carry on.