Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Lateral-G Open Discussions > Open Discussion
User Name
Password

Old 07-11-2017, 01:22 PM
Lateral-g Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketzer View Post
The politics part of it sucks, especially to the casual observer like me that doesn't know all the background on why decisions are made... I know the top cars are just that, the best of the best, and it comes down to really nit picking to find a winner. I also know style and trends are subjective.

There was a particular car that I looked at in the Nashville GG show that has been a runner up several times this season... completely baffling to me how the other cars won out. The worst of it is the car owners, they have years of time and money invested in a particular award and to have their incredible piece of craftsmanship soured by a questionable decision... such a shame.

Jeff-
Jeff politics for sure that's part of it. I also think most people who know the players are tired of seeing the same guys . It's the same with NHRA , I used to eat sleep and drink drag racing now its the FORCE SHUMACHER Show . I have zero interest . As soon as I seen who the players were this year I knew exactly who was going to be in the top five and who was going to win SMOTY. There were a lot of nice cars there that were very well done, but as nice as they were the off the shelf parts, as nice as they are can't compete with CNC built cars. But like with everything else the everyday guy is not going to be able to build a million dollar CNC masterpiece so I think peoples interest just goes away after time , Just my thought not saying anything bad about any one builder.
Old 07-11-2017, 01:42 PM

to me it seems overall most of the forum topics are getting less and less attention and input. It is much easier to post pictures and get help via facebook groups now a days.
Old 07-11-2017, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOOM View Post
Jeff politics for sure that's part of it. I also think most people who know the players are tired of seeing the same guys . It's the same with NHRA , I used to eat sleep and drink drag racing now its the FORCE SHUMACHER Show . I have zero interest . As soon as I seen who the players were this year I knew exactly who was going to be in the top five and who was going to win SMOTY. There were a lot of nice cars there that were very well done, but as nice as they were the off the shelf parts, as nice as they are can't compete with CNC built cars. But like with everything else the everyday guy is not going to be able to build a million dollar CNC masterpiece so I think peoples interest just goes away after time , Just my thought not saying anything bad about any one builder.
^^^ What he said!!! ^^^
Hoodpins.com, Inland Empire Driveline, Billet Accessories Direct, Modo Innovations, AutoRad Radiators, Morris Classic Concepts, Marquez Design, Anvil Auto, Fesler Billet, US Collision (DOOM), AGR, Pro-touringF-body.com, Phoenix Transmission Products, Shiftworks, ACC Carpet, Hedman Hedders, BMR Fabrication, American Autowire, MityMounts, TIN INDIAN Performance, Kauffman Racing Equipment, Pypes, RobbMc Performance, WMC, Holley, NOS, PST
Old 07-13-2017, 08:20 AM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironworks View Post
I wonder if the award is not what it once was. I know a lot of people who no longer make the trip to Columbus that used to. It seems people used to build cars to unveil for the award and that seems to happen for SEMA more now.

Or are less people building cars to that level and more cars you can beat on. Less show and more go.

When they let a truck and 2 tri-5s compete for an award that they would not let a Tri-5 complete for last year. The X-Box 55 was told it was not a street machine last year. And this year they have 2 tri-5s in the top 10 or twelve.

Just a thought a discussion I heard from friends who attended.
That is strange considering a Tri-5 has won the event before.

Definitely not as many contenders this year. Truck should not of been allowed to compete IMO. Will half the field be trucks next year?

Last edited by MarkM66; 07-13-2017 at 08:24 AM.
Old 07-13-2017, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkM66 View Post
That is strange considering a Tri-5 has won the event before.

Definitely not as many contenders this year. Truck should not of been allowed to compete IMO. Will half the field be trucks next year?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOOM View Post
You want to know what's even more strange? The owner of X-Box that Rodger mentioned is the same guy that won SMOY with 56 Shoebox you are talking about. I was involved with X-Box and was there with the car last year. He was told they don't consider a shoe box a street machine. (After the awards) He even told them, I've won SMOY with a shoe box???? So basically it wasn't even considered. X-Box had many many handmade and cnc'd one off parts as Mario mentioned. I'm not throwing stones at any builder or owner, but there were more one off pieces in X-Box than a couple of the top 5 last year. SMOY may be losing it's luster.

68 Chevy Pickup Project
Build Thread: https://lateral-g.net/forums/showthread.php4?t=7505

THANKS TO: A&M Machine and Fabrication, CCTek (http://www.candctek.com), Hermance Design(www.hermancedesign.com), Paradise Road Rod & Custom, Harry Opfer Welding, Wegner Automotive Research, Clayton Machine Works
Old 07-13-2017, 08:30 PM

That brown Camaro is gorgeous!

Current rides: 2000 BMW 540i/6 and 86 C10.

Former ride: 1979 Trans Am WS6: LT1/T56, Kore 3 C5/6 brakes, BMW 18in rims
Old 07-13-2017, 08:54 PM

Default First GoodGuys

I attended with my 16 year old son, both first-time GG show attendees. I thought it was fantastic, got many great ideas and met some really nice people. Chris Fesler was especially nice, and I enjoyed talking to him for 2+ hours between the Friday and Saturday shows. Really enjoyed the AutoX as well. Looking forward to the GG show in Charlotte in October.
Old 07-14-2017, 09:49 AM

Thanked 1,474 Times in 1,106 Posts

Charlotte will be our next GG - We will have room to bring a car or two! From Columbus, our rig went to Minneapolis Street Machine Nationals & then on to Joliet for the NMRA/NMCA
Old 07-15-2017, 09:52 PM

Politics have ruined the prestige of Sroy and SmoY, its nothing more than Goodguys way to reward there sponsors and donors, and they build nice cars so its not there fault they have no control over who Goodguys picks, its all on Goodguys, Poteet's sedan is super nice but the Graham was 10x's the car, But Poteet is in the Goodguys elite circle so there is your winner, like I said nothing against George he just built a car came to try like the others, but Goodguys takes care of there own,

Maybe some day the awards will go back to the cars and picking the best one over who built or who owns them,
Old 07-16-2017, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccracin View Post
You want to know what's even more strange? The owner of X-Box that Rodger mentioned is the same guy that won SMOY with 56 Shoebox you are talking about. I was involved with X-Box and was there with the car last year. He was told they don't consider a shoe box a street machine. (After the awards) He even told them, I've won SMOY with a shoe box???? So basically it wasn't even considered. X-Box had many many handmade and cnc'd one off parts as Mario mentioned. I'm not throwing stones at any builder or owner, but there were more one off pieces in X-Box than a couple of the top 5 last year. SMOY may be losing it's luster.
Chad that was my year and I don't recall that happening. Very interesting.