Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Lateral-G Open Discussions > Open Discussion
User Name
Password

Old 07-23-2017, 09:00 AM

Default T56 shifter seal correct fit

Hey folks after reading numerous posts about T56 leaks I opened mine prior to final install... and whattya know the seal had a rip... So Tremec sent me a new one.... now my question is what's the correct fit? Some pics show the seal in the groove others above the groove
Attached Images

Old 07-23-2017, 10:45 PM

After 6k of driving my car with a T56 magnum, my trans started leaking, too. I took my shifter apart and the fluid was leaking past the seal, filled up the upper area, and was dribbling down the side of the transmission case. No tear in the seal, though. The fluid had just worked it way past. After disassembling the shifter I cleaned it and applied silicone rtv gasket maker on the shaft and reinstalled the seal, and applied more silicone on the bottom side as well. So far so good.

To answer your question- my seal was located up higher like shown in your lower pic.

Supposedly, with the magnum transmission the position you place the shifter in the trans can affect how much it leaks, or how soon it will leak. From what I've read the larger gear inside throws the fluid around more, and if the shifter is directly above this gear, it's more likely to leak. Having the shifter in the rear spot helps keep the shifter away from being in the fluids direct path. Though, mine was like this and it still leaked so I'm not so convinced.
Old 07-25-2017, 01:17 PM

Like many others, the Magnum shifter started to leak after a few months of use. It was the seal as shown above tearing at the shaft interface.

The seal is not replaceable. Tremec sent a new shifter, and after inspection, the seal is stretched too far. The high stress in the seal caused premature failure once exposed to heat and oil. This same type of seal failure also occurred on another aftermarket shifter that also had too much seal stretch. The seal on that shifter was much smaller, hence making the problem worse. The Tremec seal is far superior, but with an excessive interference fit on the seal.

The fix was to machine the groove where the seal seats to a smaller diameter. It's been over a year so far with, visually, good results. There is no oil on the top or around the top boot, whereas before it was making a big mess.
Old 07-25-2017, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlC View Post
Like many others, the Magnum shifter started to leak after a few months of use. It was the seal as shown above tearing at the shaft interface.

The seal is not replaceable. Tremec sent a new shifter, and after inspection, the seal is stretched too far. The high stress in the seal caused premature failure once exposed to heat and oil. This same type of seal failure also occurred on another aftermarket shifter that also had too much seal stretch. The seal on that shifter was much smaller, hence making the problem worse. The Tremec seal is far superior, but with an excessive interference fit on the seal.

The fix was to machine the groove where the seal seats to a smaller diameter. It's been over a year so far with, visually, good results. There is no oil on the top or around the top boot, whereas before it was making a big mess.
Carl do I understand that the seal goes in the higher position and wat you did is machine a grove in there to kind "lock" the lip of the seal into the groove? Also are you in the front position over the gear or the rear?
Old 07-28-2017, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by XLexusTech View Post
Hey folks after reading numerous posts about T56 leaks I opened mine prior to final install... and whattya know the seal had a rip... So Tremec sent me a new one.... now my question is what's the correct fit? Some pics show the seal in the groove others above the groove
Depending on the application you are using your Tremec with, we offer a wide variety of shifters that can not only relocate the shifter location, but provide a seal that will not leak. If you have any additional questions, or if you would like a personalized recommendation for your car, feel free to give us a call at 707-544-4761.