Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Lateral-G Open Discussions > Open Discussion
User Name
Password

Old 07-09-2017, 10:32 PM

Does anyone have more info about the single seater vette?
Old 07-10-2017, 04:47 PM

I was seeing tons of stuff on fb and ig, just curious why it was so quiet on here. It is usually a big discussion on here.
Old 07-10-2017, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Musclerodz View Post
I was seeing tons of stuff on fb and ig, just curious why it was so quiet on here. It is usually a big discussion on here.

I wonder if the award is not what it once was. I know a lot of people who no longer make the trip to Columbus that used to. It seems people used to build cars to unveil for the award and that seems to happen for SEMA more now.

Or are less people building cars to that level and more cars you can beat on. Less show and more go.

When they let a truck and 2 tri-5s compete for an award that they would not let a Tri-5 complete for last year. The X-Box 55 was told it was not a street machine last year. And this year they have 2 tri-5s in the top 10 or twelve.

Just a thought a discussion I heard from friends who attended.
Old 07-10-2017, 06:13 PM

Hey Mike,

I was there. I'm not a photo taker.

The vent was packed. Maybe not all time high packed, but pretty packed with people & cars. The rain cleared out some folks on Friday afternoon. But Saturday was busy & full looking all day.
Old 07-10-2017, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironworks View Post
I wonder if the award is not what it once was. I know a lot of people who no longer make the trip to Columbus that used to. It seems people used to build cars to unveil for the award and that seems to happen for SEMA more now.

Or are less people building cars to that level and more cars you can beat on. Less show and more go.

When they let a truck and 2 tri-5s compete for an award that they would not let a Tri-5 complete for last year. The X-Box 55 was told it was not a street machine last year. And this year they have 2 tri-5s in the top 10 or twelve.

Just a thought a discussion I heard from friends who attended.
The politics get old and there was just as much controversy last year on the street rod side as well with Ida. My question was more towards the lack of interest shown on this forum about it. Used to people was dying for pics, whose going, whose not going. I didn't see any chatter except for vendors about it.

I still consider the show a bucket list show for anyone that has never been. 6-7k cars can be sensory overload to some people.Even though I am there 3 days, I have been enough I can look at everything in 1 day. See a couple hundred of the right cars, see friends I see twice a year, which is just as important, and have a great time. (Except the year the asphalt was melting it was so damn hot)
Old 07-11-2017, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Musclerodz View Post
The politics get old and there was just as much controversy last year on the street rod side as well with Ida. My question was more towards the lack of interest shown on this forum about it. Used to people was dying for pics, whose going, whose not going. I didn't see any chatter except for vendors about it.

I still consider the show a bucket list show for anyone that has never been. 6-7k cars can be sensory overload to some people.Even though I am there 3 days, I have been enough I can look at everything in 1 day. See a couple hundred of the right cars, see friends I see twice a year, which is just as important, and have a great time. (Except the year the asphalt was melting it was so damn hot)
I agree on the bucket list show. But I'm just saying I dont see people make the trip every year like it used to. You said you stayed home to work as did I and I think I felt more like I had to go years ago.

But I just either SEMA is taking over as a bigger place to go and unveil new cars. People used to debut new cars at Columbus and now it seems like its done at SEMA and then the cars are taken to Columbus in the first year of showing the car and I'm sure that has an impact on people just saying oh I can see that car at SEMA or I saw it at SEMA last year.
Old 07-11-2017, 09:05 AM

Thanked 1,474 Times in 1,106 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Sutton View Post
Hey Mike,

I was there. I'm not a photo taker.

The vent was packed. Maybe not all time high packed, but pretty packed with people & cars. The rain cleared out some folks on Friday afternoon. But Saturday was busy & full looking all day.
Same here! Nice to meet you in person Ron!

Friday was OK, Saturday was good, Sunday was slow.
Old 07-11-2017, 09:29 AM

went 12yrs in a row before this year. Just couldn't make it. oh well there is next year. like was said earlier, not the same buzz it used to have but still far and away the best car show to go to.
1950 international l110
1993 mustang gt
Old 07-11-2017, 09:46 AM
Lateral-g Supporting Member

The politics part of it sucks, especially to the casual observer like me that doesn't know all the background on why decisions are made... I know the top cars are just that, the best of the best, and it comes down to really nit picking to find a winner. I also know style and trends are subjective.

There was a particular car that I looked at in the Nashville GG show that has been a runner up several times this season... completely baffling to me how the other cars won out. The worst of it is the car owners, they have years of time and money invested in a particular award and to have their incredible piece of craftsmanship soured by a questionable decision... such a shame.

Jeff-
Old 07-11-2017, 10:15 AM
Lateral-g Supporting Member

Thanked 2,254 Times in 1,369 Posts

LSA, DSE...

Skip