Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Technical Discussions > Shop & Equipment
User Name
Password

Old 10-16-2018, 12:39 PM

Default MIG welding tip question

I looked for a bit to find a thread on MIG welding tips with no success so I'm starting one.

I'm having an issue with one kind of weld and I'm hoping someone may have a tip or trick to help me out.

One an overhead 90 degree joint weld, I can't seem to get the puddle to start or stay on the overhead part. I've only tacked it so far and struggled with that..so wanted to pick the experts brains before burning it in for good.

Here is the piece...

Where the stand welds to the bottom of the frame is where I'm having the issue, I can't seem to get a puddle to start on the frame before it falls on either the torch tip, top of my head, or my arms...

I'm using a Miller 211 on 120v, 024 wire, and these settings with worked well on the same stock flat on a table. Only difference is the frame itself with is about 1/8" steel I believe.

This is what my bead looked like on the table...

Appreciate any tips...probable going to fire the welder back up tomorrow and try to finish burning everything in.
Old 10-16-2018, 06:33 PM

You can always practice out of position welding by laying on the ground and welding scrap clamped to the bench upside down.
Old 10-17-2018, 05:43 AM

Yep ... practice practice practice
Old 10-17-2018, 08:10 AM

Not an expert but I would slow down the wire feed and turn up the voltage to get more heat into the weld. Start the weld on the larger piece.

Don
Old 10-17-2018, 04:10 PM

It's something you almost just need to do a bunch to get a feel for what you need to do and what the weld is doing . Try to "aim" more towards the overhead piece then kind of wash or whip aka pull the weld to the vertical piece . Higher heat settings on the welder will help . You do need to fight gravity to get a proper amount of penetration. Finally travel speed, increase your typical travel speed or else you will have a mess of grapes to grind off . If I remember I'll set one up at work tomorrow and shoot a few pics for you
Old 11-08-2018, 08:42 PM

Not an expert but I have done a lot of overhead welding and I have the same MIG welder as you. If you are finding the molten wire is tending to "blob" near the tip, your wire speed is too low. Increase your wire speed and check your weld for penetration and adjust as necessary.