Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Technical Discussions > Engine
User Name
Password

Old 05-28-2014, 08:14 AM

Default headers to suit D port heads in 69

Im about to fit a new 383 SBC into my 69 Camaro.
However my old headers won't fit the exhaust port's as they're Edelbrock D port heads.
Does anyone know a decent 3/4 " primary, equal length header that will fit a 69 Camaro with PS. ???
Australia
Old 05-28-2014, 07:25 PM
Lateral-g Supporting Member

Have you verified they won't work and cover the port? I ask because LT1/4 cars are D-port exhaust from the factory and yet 1-3/4" round primary headers cover the port just fine. This used to come up all the time with people new to LT1/4 cars and D-port exhaust. If you've checked and they indeed won't work, I don't have any suggestion, sorry. Good luck!

Current rides: 2000 BMW 540i/6 and 86 C10.

Former ride: 1979 Trans Am WS6: LT1/T56, Kore 3 C5/6 brakes, BMW 18in rims
Old 05-28-2014, 08:39 PM

I believe I used this set for the LT1 swap in my '71 Camaro. They are listed as fitting first gens as well. Although they have a 1-5/8 primary.

http://www.jegs.com/i/Hedman/500/66609/10002/-1

Summit Racing has a large selection of headers under the Gen II small block engine family.
Old 05-28-2014, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angry View Post
Im about to fit a new 383 SBC into my 69 Camaro.
However my old headers won't fit the exhaust port's as they're Edelbrock D port heads.
Does anyone know a decent 3/4 " primary, equal length header that will fit a 69 Camaro with PS. ???
Depending on the particular heads in question, round "stock port" headers can indeed seal over a D-ports, but GM D-port heads (and aftermarket ones that mimic their exhaust port geometry closely) will exhibit shrouding at the roof of the port, in most cases, when such headers are installed on them. LT1 and LT4 heads feature exhaust ports that are raised .100" from stock and the exhaust ports of the GM Fastburn heads are raised .200". For a flange/gasket match that is ensured to seal and prevent shrouding, you really need a set of headers with a "D" port flange configuration (like what is shown in the attached photo). I work for a manufacturer that is about to release exactly the type of header you are inquiring about for your application, but I can't tell you who that is without the site administrator thinking I'm trying to sell you something (even though I don't work in sales at the company in question). If you want to send me a PM, I'll be glad to give you any fitment or technical info you want on the headers without having any interest if you buy them or not. Good luck in your search [IMG][/IMG]
Old 05-28-2014, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3_z28camaro View Post
I believe I used this set for the LT1 swap in my '71 Camaro. They are listed as fitting first gens as well. Although they have a 1-5/8 primary.

http://www.jegs.com/i/Hedman/500/66609/10002/-1

Summit Racing has a large selection of headers under the Gen II small block engine family.
Yep, those appear to be a proper D-port design although they are a mid-length header that will be sufficient for some and not for others.
Old 05-29-2014, 12:01 AM

Doug's makes a 1-3/4" primary SAP-port part #D368 that I used with my AFR heads on my '69.

This appears to be the Gen 2 version. The SAP port design didn't create any interference on the AFR ports.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/do...t/model/camaro

Old 05-30-2014, 05:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sieg View Post
Doug's makes a 1-3/4" primary SAP-port part #D368 that I used with my AFR heads on my '69.

This appears to be the Gen 2 version. The SAP port design didn't create any interference on the AFR ports.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/do...t/model/camaro

The folks at AFR were thinking clearly when they designed the large sealing surface into that cylinder head as it greatly helps minimize the sealing issues that arise when you put stock port headers on D-port GM heads. Because the machined sealing land is raised off of the cast surface of the heads and have a narrow margin, stock port design headers/gaskets commonly leak and/or blow out at the bottom of the ports. D-Port specific headers eliminate the leak/sealing issues on the GM L98/LT4/LT1 and Fastburn heads and also remove the step that forms at the top of the ports on those heads when stock port headers are used on them.
Old 05-30-2014, 10:45 AM

Ive over laid the gaskits & the old headers will NOT seal the new ports,
Theyre bordrr line now with std oval ports.
Australia