Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Technical Discussions > Engine
User Name
Password

Old 05-06-2015, 10:37 AM

Default LS7 Oil Line Plumbing

Which of the two dry sump ports on a stock LS7 Pan does what?

I've tried to find information online and there is very little out there. The part that is even more confusing is that one of the posts on a forum gave the opposite answer as a website that I found. My engine builder must be out of town because he hasn't returned my phone call and I'm looking to make the lines tonight. On one forum I was reading, a guy mentioned that there are letters embossed in the pan "IN" AND "OUT" but I am not seeing that.

I'm using the stock LS7 Pan with the Peterson AN adapter, Peterson LS7 Tank and making custom lines with Earls Hose and fittings.

So, is the front port on the pan the scavenge line which connects to the top of the dry sump tank (Peterson LS7 Tank) and the Rear port on the Pan is the feed line from the bottom of the tank?

Just looking to hear from guys who have the same setup and maybe if there are some accurate replys then when other people google "LS7 OIL LINE PLUMBING" Or LS7 Oil flow they will actually find information that helps them.

And before anyone comments, yes I know that there are 3 Male AN Fittings on the tank and the very top fitting on the Peterson Tank is for the breather.

I'm completely paranoid about hooking up the lines backwards and I'm hoping that between advice here and a few emails I have sent that I will be able to confirm the proper direction to plumb these lines.

Thank you
Old 05-06-2015, 11:52 AM

http://www.chevrolet.com/content/dam...19244098-1.pdf

Support your local hot rod shop!
Old 05-06-2015, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dontlifttoshift View Post
Thanks Donny! I've searched for many hours but never came across that information. I didn't think to look up crate engine instructions. I just have the engine controller instructions from my builder.
Old 05-07-2015, 05:51 PM

Front port is the discharge into dry sump tank from scavenge stage of the oil pump (front section of the pump) should connect to top of aftermarket dry sump tank, the rear port is to the inlet to pressure side of the oil pump (rear section of the pump) connection should come from bottom of the dry sump tank also, the drain plug for the dry sump tank on the LS3/7/9 dry sump pan (output of pump pressure stage is to the block of course.) I port and deburr all my LS oil passages on motors that will see extended high RPM operations.....GM does a HORRIBLE job of drilling oil passages and deburring oil entries into oil filter mounting area.....just DAMN AWFUL! I have hand ported GM pumps and Katech CNC ports their high volume oil pump offerings.

Here is a link to some LS7 stuff: http://www.camarohomepage.com/ls7/

Last edited by Solid LT1; 05-07-2015 at 06:19 PM.