Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Technical Discussions > Engine
User Name
Password

Old 03-30-2015, 06:39 PM

Default lS7 oil tank suggestion

I'm looking for suggestions on what oil tank/size to get for my LS7 swap.

Has anyone used the Peterson LS7 oil tank? http://www.petersonfluidsys.com/tank_LS7.html

All the builds I see seem to just be using their standard oil tank. Does it have something to do with having male instead of female AN fittings?

Just curious as I need to get a tank soon and I'm looking at options (A.R.E, Peterson, Stock?).

Last edited by jeds; 03-30-2015 at 07:09 PM.
Old 03-30-2015, 09:56 PM
Supporting Vendor

We use Peterson exclusively.

All of their tanks are customizable since usually they're built to order and take 4-6 weeks to get. I prefer the bolt-together tanks rather than the giant ugly v-band clamp myself..

Often we just use a 2 gallon 6" diameter tank with the male AN's on them. The 2 gallon ones are only 19.5" tall, quite a gain over the 24" 2.5 gallon. GM recommends 10.5qt which would equate to 2.5+ gallons.
We've even ran 1.5 gallon tanks in vehicles that have big space constraints too and have not had any longevity problems. In those cases you need to run an oil pan baffle from Aviaid. It's still recommended for any LS7 car though. http://aviaid.com/shopsite_sc/store/...s-z06-ls7.html

Peterson's LS7 breather can is pretty nice too, and doesn't take up a whole lot of space. I have several of those in stock if Peterson will be a while. No dry sump tanks though.

-Dale
GMachineChassis.com
LSxEngines.com
Facebook | Instagram | YouTube
Old 03-31-2015, 08:20 AM

Thanks Dale.

So would you recommend just running the stock pan with baffle for 80% street /20% track split? Is it a waste of money to move to an ATS or ARE pan?

Any reason to include (or not to include) a second scavenge stage like an Aviaid single stage scavenge pump?

I still want to keep the AC intact.

This is my first time dealing with dry sump so I am completely clueless on setup.
Old 04-05-2015, 06:02 AM

Try going to the Corvette forum and checking the C6 parts for sale section for a Z06 tank if it will fit. You should be able to buy a stocker for $200 if it will fit your build.
Old 05-14-2015, 01:47 AM

I ran a Peterson 3 gallon tank and their breather for my LS7. You can also buy a used dry sump tank from eBay off of the NASCAR parts sellers.

Be advised that the factory LS7 pump has issues with the physical cover that bolts up to the pump deflecting under high pressure and allows oil to squirt/cavitate out. On mine above 5,000rpm it wouldn't increase above 55psi when hot and out on the track beating on it. The fix is a Katech LS9 pump and billet cover they make $$$. It is also advisable to run an Aviad or similar oil pan as the factory LS7 pan has its shortcomings even when running a helper setup like you are describing.

This is the main reason I sold my LS7.... and am doing the Dailey billet system and a new engine build.

1993 Mazda FD RX-7, built LS7, T56 Magnum, Holley HP, Davis Tech TC, 8.8" 3.73 Cobra IRS diff, DSS axles, Ohlins coilovers, big brakes.
CCW 18x11 front 315/30/18's and 18x12.5 rear on 335/30/18 RA1's, 2850lbs
10.31@137mph 165mph Shift-Sector 1/2 mile speed
441ci AllPro headed motor and 200lb weigh reduction in the works....