Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Lateral-G Open Discussions > Project Updates
User Name
Password

Old 03-06-2019, 08:44 PM
Lateral-g Supporting Member

Thanks for updating us, Terry! Glad you guys were still working on this one.

How is chainsaw massacre coming?

Current rides: 2000 BMW 540i/6 and 86 C10.

Former ride: 1979 Trans Am WS6: LT1/T56, Kore 3 C5/6 brakes, BMW 18in rims
Old 03-08-2019, 07:25 PM

Thanks for posting an update, it looks amazing!
Old 03-11-2019, 09:32 PM

Wow is all I can say!

Old 08-08-2019, 11:54 AM

Would you sell a pair of the 3" hose to defroster slot boxes?

They'd be perfect for my track camaro with a flat aluminum dash.

Thanks,
Jason
Old 08-09-2019, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WSSix View Post
Thanks for updating us, Terry! Glad you guys were still working on this one.

How is chainsaw massacre coming?

The "Chainsaw Massacre" widebody BMW M3 with the Horsepower Research 468" LS7 has been tuned, run on track, dyno tested again, and about to go out for more track time.

Way behind on that build thread but catching up - I just posted an update on that build thread here on Lateral-G, showing work from 2018. The HPR 468" dyno'd at 636 whp (SAE) on 93 octane, but we still have some tweaking to the Motec tune in store to unleash a bit more. It scoots around the track pretty well with that.

I'm working on a 69 Camaro forum build thread update next...

Last edited by Fair; 08-09-2019 at 11:29 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Fair For This Useful Post:
CCS (08-13-2019)
Old 08-13-2019, 03:30 PM

amazing works!!

1972 Chevy Nova
4 door sedan
350 sbc, TH350
Still stock rearend and suspension.
15" Ridler wheels

Old 08-13-2019, 09:02 PM

Thanks Terry!

Current rides: 2000 BMW 540i/6 and 86 C10.

Former ride: 1979 Trans Am WS6: LT1/T56, Kore 3 C5/6 brakes, BMW 18in rims
Old 05-16-2020, 02:13 PM

I have a big fat update on this build, but the Lateral-G forum seems to be glitching and counting my images "twice", and with a very limited "15 images per post" limit (which is very small), it means I'd have to break up my "2 part" update into 50+ parts.

Can a moderator ask the admin to open up the limits for pics to 50 per post?

Thanks!

Last edited by Fair; 05-17-2020 at 01:11 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Fair For This Useful Post:
slimjim (05-17-2020)
Old 05-17-2020, 11:48 AM
Administrator

Thanked 1,443 Times in 625 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fair View Post
I have a big fat update on this build, but the Lateral-G forum seems to be glitching and counting my images "twice", and with a very limited "15 images per post" limit (which is very small), it means I'd have to break up my "2 part" update into 50+ parts.

Can a moderator ask the admin to open up the limits for pics to 50 per post?

Thanks!
Done.

PAST CAR PROJECTS

Like Lateral-G on Facebook!

Follow Lateral-G on Instagram!

SPECIAL THANKS TO:
Jacob Ehlers and Amsoil for the lubricants and degreasers for my 70 Chevelle project
Shannon at Modo Innovations for the cool billet DBW bracket
Roadster Shop for their Chevelle SPEC Chassis
Dakota Digital for their Chevelle HDX Gauge Package
Painless Performance for their wiring harness

Ron Davis Radiators for their radiator and fan assembly.
Baer Brakes for their front and rear brakes

Texas Speed and Performance for their 427 LS Stroker
American Powertrain for their ProFit Magnum T56 kit
Currie Enterprises for their 9" Third Member
Forgeline for their GF3 Wheels
McLeod Racing for their RXT street twin clutch
Ididit for their steering column
Holley for their EFI and engine parts
Lokar and Clayton Machine for their pedals and door and window handles
Morris Classic Concepts for their 3 point belts and side mirrors
Thermotec for their heat sleeve and sound deadening products
Restomod Air for their Tru Mod A/C kit
Mightymouse Solutions for their catch can
Magnaflow for their 3" exhaust system
Aeromotive for their dual Phantom fuel system
Vintage Air for their new Mid Mount LS front drive
Hydratech Braking for their hydroboost system
Borgeson for their stainless steering shaft and u joints
Eddie Motorsports for their hood and trunk hinges and misc parts
TMI Products for their seats, door panels, and dash pad
Rock Valley Antique Auto Parts for their stainless fuel tank
The Following User Says Thank You to camcojb For This Useful Post:
Fair (05-17-2020)
Old 05-17-2020, 12:54 PM

Project Update for May 7th 2020: We have been working during quarantine, and with no racing going on, my weekends opened up - so I have been writing Forum Build Thread updates. We even have two new builds since the last update here (a '67 Mustang and a '04 CTS-V, both dedicated road race cars). These new builds are coming in as we wrap up some long term projects - like this '69 Camaro. Then I took a little time build a new PC, which is why I posted this 10 days later on Lateral-G. Thanks to camcojb for updating the max pics per post limit!

This tube framed '69 Camaro is one of the most labor intensive projects we have ever undertaken, and it's in the final stretch. I have been taking a more hands on role in this build, and I go out into the shop 20+ times a day to look over all of our customer and shop builds. I now take virtually all of the pictures you see here, write all of the service invoices, send regular, detailed "build update" emails to the customers (that look a lot like these build threads), and help steer every aspect of each project - more than ever before. This prevents any surprises - if they occur, it's on me.

This update will cover work we did to this Camaro in 2019, including a few hurdles that took some time. We have made serious progress and the build is nearing completion. As I write this, the engine runs great, the transmission shifts well, it can move under its own power, and we only lack a few parts purchases and last minute tweaks to get this Camaro onto a road course. The global pandemic shut down some of our suppliers, which has delayed some recent work.

In this round we show work completed such as the wiring, plumbing, lighting, ECM install, and initial tuning. We will also cover the final interior panels and some other fab work.

WIRING

Wiring is boring, tedious work to watch on any build, but I show our clients every step of every work invoice. There are likely 200 pictures of wiring work done on this car. I'm not going to bore you with most of that, but I will talk about some of the options on a build like this - for the chassis harness, connectors, EFI system/engine harness, and more.

CHASSIS WIRING

We decided to keep it simple on this build and chose a 26 circuit Painless wiring harness we have used on previous builds where we had to do a complete re-wire. I'm using the exact same chassis harness on our Team Vorshlag E46 endurance road race build as well as my personal 2015 Mustang LS swap race car. We have used this harness for several completed race car builds and it works.

Now I'm not advocating for ditching the entire chassis wiring harness on a modern car (less than 20 years old), but if you have nothing to start with or are starting with a car more than 20 years old (where there are likely old / brittle / broken connectors and bad grounds) this isn't a bad idea. Some of you might turn your nose up at Painless Wiring harness being used on this chassis, but know this: we have had FAR fewer problems with these harness kits than some of the $25K+ Wiring jobs I've seen done on high end builds - with Power Distribution Modules to wire and program, Raychem harnesses that can never be serviced, etc.

There is nothing wrong with spending that kind of money on Professional Motorsport level wiring if you have the budget and it suits the purpose - I just think it is unnecessary to go to that extreme expense for the cars we build and that our customers use. We aren't running 24 hour LeMans races with the cars we build here, and we don't have customers with unlimited budgets. These Painless harnesses are color coded using GM schemes, well built, cost effective (sub $250), easy to finish out, and use modern fuses, relays, and connectors. Everything is brand new - no junk yard damage or old age rot.

Finishing out the connections, routing, mounting and such can take dozens of hours, so plan for that. We have mounted the fuse box under the dash and have almost every single system wired and routed now.

We built this car using Deutsch DT series connectors, which are costly but worthwhile. We keep a variety of DT connectors and pins on hand from 2 to 26 pins, which keeps us going on builds like these. These are not inexpensive connectors so we keep track of what was used on any given build in the My Shop Assist hour tracking system. Keeps us from guessing or under/over charging any customer.

There is a bit of planning and paperwork involved with a proper wiring job as well, and we have to keep records of how we terminated various systems to manage all of the circuits (a copy of which goes with the owner). Soldering, heat shrink, harness covering... it is all tedious but necessary. Evan and Brad do all of the wiring work on projects in our shop and they both do excellent work.

This is still a work in progress, and as systems are completed and tested we go back and make sure the harnesses are wrapped and secured properly. I will show the final wiring on this chassis when everything is wrapped and tucked, which should happen after the first track test and after paint.

BATTERY UPGRADE + KILL SWITCH

For many years my obsession for weight loss on cars drove me to use ultra lightweight motorcycle batteries, like the Odyssey PC680, which weighs 14.7 pounds. But after years of fighting with their lack of battery reserve - and pushing cars that should be driven - I've conceded that a little more mass in a battery is very worthwhile.

This build started off with a PC680 but during some testing we kept killing the battery, then recharging, and it finally died. So I got to "buy" that one back while we upgraded to this PC925, which is a 21 pound battery. It has more reserve, and more girth - which required a new battery tray and enlarged base mount.

With that larger battery in place it was time to mount the CarTek Electronics battery isolator or "kill switch". We chose the CarTek GT unit for this build, which works with OEM style ECMs. This is an FIA rated, non-sparking, solid state kill switch. It comes with two buttons, and works by dropping the entire ground circuit for the chassis as shown in the animated gif above.

To mount that I wanted to make a new bracket behind the passenger seat, in a tubing junction between a diagonal and the main hoop. I sketched out what I wanted and Myles turned it into a CNC cut piece that Evan then cleaned up and TIG welded to the roll cage.

continued below

Last edited by Fair; 05-17-2020 at 01:11 PM.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Fair For This Useful Post:
572Camaro (05-19-2020), camcojb (05-17-2020), Goosesdad (05-18-2020)