Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Lateral-G Open Discussions > Project Updates
User Name
Password

Old 07-03-2020, 07:04 PM

Most of it is probably from balancing the clutch.

2nd tune got it much closer. Its still asking for more fuel 3500-5000 rpm at WOT...which is good because that means its making more power there.

All else still great. I'll nut and bolt everything tomorrow and drop another tune in it...then maybe take some video.

Oh, and now my injectors vibrate my dash instead of my floor...
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to SSLance For This Useful Post:
camcojb (07-03-2020), mfain (07-07-2020), rixtrix1 (07-04-2020)
Old 07-19-2020, 10:25 AM

I have about 100 miles on the new build so far, tuning has gone well and the new install bugs all seem to be worked out. Very happy with it so far. It is much smoother now thanks to the great balance and it winds up a bit faster than before.

Old 07-19-2020, 12:27 PM

Same cam right? Are you guys 'helping' the tuning or are the changes from the self learn functionality of the set-up?
Old 07-19-2020, 05:15 PM

Same cam... Bit more compression, bit more dwell because of rod length change and revs faster because of better balance.

The learn table initially asked for some stuff that was pretty strange. We chased it for a while and figured out we were going the wrong way. We found a couple of little things that were contributing to the "strangeness", fixed those and now we are back on the right track getting it real close once again. It's been pretty close all along, we are just fine tuning it trying to make it as good as it can be.

The process basically is to drive the car letting it learn and compensate live, then we look at the learn table once back in the garage and decide how to make permanent changes to the base fuel table etc.
The Following User Says Thank You to SSLance For This Useful Post:
ScotI (07-19-2020)
Old 07-19-2020, 08:27 PM

Car sounds really good Lance.
70 velle' on custom chassis w/custom RideTech coilovers, RED sleeved 434” with Mamo 265’s, F-body Magnum, 12 bolt 3:73, wilwood 6/4's, bla, bla, bla...build. thread https://lateral-g.net/forums/showthread.php4?t=39631
New 434” engine build here https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...ved-block.html

Thanks Dad!!

My Chevelle is old school... It has a belt driven power steering pump.
They're 17's, but I keep em clean!
Old 09-10-2020, 01:09 PM

I had my car out on the road yesterday. Weather finally broke and we had mid 70s yesterday morning. I have to say, the new engine LOVED the cooler weather.

After the drive I sent my tuner Andrew the GCF and in true Andrew fashion, he liked what he saw but wanted to "try" a few things differently. He monkeyed around with the air temp enrichment, the AE vs TPS table and some stuff via teamviewer live on the idle. It was fun to mess with it again, been too long since weather was good enough to enjoy tinkering on it.

Today the plan is to pull the oil filter and run it over to the builder so he can cut open and analyze. Hopefully it's all good and I can put a new filter on, top off the Valvoline VR1 20W50 racing oil and go racing next weekend. I'm registered to run local SCCA event on Sept 20.
Old 09-10-2020, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSLance View Post
I had my car out on the road yesterday. Weather finally broke and we had mid 70s yesterday morning. I have to say, the new engine LOVED the cooler weather.

After the drive I sent my tuner Andrew the GCF and in true Andrew fashion, he liked what he saw but wanted to "try" a few things differently. He monkeyed around with the air temp enrichment, the AE vs TPS table and some stuff via teamviewer live on the idle. It was fun to mess with it again, been too long since weather was good enough to enjoy tinkering on it.

Today the plan is to pull the oil filter and run it over to the builder so he can cut open and analyze. Hopefully it's all good and I can put a new filter on, top off the Valvoline VR1 20W50 racing oil and go racing next weekend. I'm registered to run local SCCA event on Sept 20.
Lance,

NASA is running at Inde in late Oct. I went to a Proautosports event there last weekend and the weather was pretty good - should be great in Oct. Also went to the new track at Maricopa - Apex. Nice and close, and I will be looking for events there. I'll keep you posted.

Pappy
Old 09-10-2020, 03:51 PM

Yes please, let me know Pappy. Friends of mine were up at Inde last weekend, the heat and a scheduling conflict kept me from making it.

Plus, well...I'm just not ready to treat this new engine the way I treated the old one. Yet...

Can't afford to do this again any time soon...
Old 09-10-2020, 06:20 PM
Lateral-g Supporting Member

You planning to dyno the new engine once you get some miles on her, Lance? Glad it's worked out so well for you.

Current rides: 2000 BMW 540i/6 and 86 C10.

Former ride: 1979 Trans Am WS6: LT1/T56, Kore 3 C5/6 brakes, BMW 18in rims
Old 09-22-2020, 12:11 PM

Finally got back out on course Sunday after a 7 month long break. Had a blast running our "modified" event, was a bummer to not get too see those that ran the afternoon session but hopefully by next event the restrictions will be lifted.

Here are the results... http://www.azsolo.com/backup/index.p...s-info/results

I was 17th raw time, 18th pax and finished 0.16 seconds out of first place in a packed CAM T class. Pretty happy with that, had a blast racing with James all day for the class win, congrats to him on that.

I've watched all the videos back, multiple times and spent some time talking with others about the course and times and watching other videos. I think I could have got a bit more out of the car with better line choice (keeping the course shorter) and maybe been more aggressive on the start. That said, I still think it did pretty dang well.

The new engine and more importantly the tune fixes REALLY helped increase the mid range power as well as making it pretty manageable to put down. Other than aerating the power steering fluid on my first run, the powertrain performed flawlessly all day.

The only suspension adjustment I made to the car during the run group was to add one round of rear brake bias and then back a half round back out after 1 run. It is amazing to me how just one turn on the knob can change it enough to lock the back brakes up first before the fronts.

Here is my fastest run of the day with the Solostorm data overlayed.

The new version of Solostorm took some getting used to but in the end is MUCH easier to deal with than the older version I was running. I just need to get more of our Region's drivers to start using it so we can compare to each other's runs and all get better. It's an invaluable tool...
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to SSLance For This Useful Post:
camcojb (09-22-2020), Goosesdad (09-22-2020), mfain (09-22-2020), syborg tt (09-23-2020)