Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Technical Discussions > Engine
User Name
Password

Old 10-01-2008, 08:53 PM

Lightbulb BBC - Carb Fuel System suggestions

I'm currently trying to figure out my fuel system before I drop the motor in. The motor is a carbureted 489 BBC with around 550-600hp going in a 69 Camaro (Resto-Mod, PT car). It is 90% a street car, that I want to be fun and reliable to drive but will see some occasion track use (both drag and roundy-round).

The motor has a carb now but in the future would like to convert to an aftermarket EFI system which is why I went with an external pump. Currently I have a Rick's sumped tank with stainless -8 an feed and return lines, I'd like to keep my options open for E85 (so close already with the tank and lines), but its not a hard requirement.

I am thinking of going with a Aeromotive A1000 pump. -10an from the tank to a 100 micron filter (-10an) to the pump to a 10 micron filter (again still -10an) to their check valve (to help buffer the fuel pump pulses and aid in starting the motor since it will keep pressure and prevent drain back). After the check valve switching to -8an all the way to the regulator and -8an all the way back to the tank. Dual -6an to feed the Holly 770cfm Carb.

The other option was pretty much the same plumbing but with Aeromotive's SS series. Just wondering if the A1000 is overkill or not (Aeromotive recommended the A1000 over the SS series for my application).

Done a bunch of searches, tried reading up on as much as I could. I am wondering what others have run in the 600hp range. Any comments or suggested changes or other suggested pumps/setups are certainly welcome.

Thanks in advance!
Old 10-05-2008, 12:15 PM

Also been looking at a fuel cooler:
http://www.barrygrant.com/bgfuel/default.aspx?page=53

As well as possibly the Aeromotive controller:
http://www.aeromotiveinc.com/products.php?prod=31

Reason being that the A1000 flows a lot of volume at idle thru the return. Seems from what I have read that can lead to some fuel heating / vapor lock issues especially if the regulator is mounted up by the carb. Reducing the volume at idle and adding a cooler seems to help big time.

Trying to figure out if that is overkill at my HP level or not. Or simply good insurance so I'm not stranded out in the boonies somewhere with vapor lock.