Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Technical Discussions > Interior and Electrical
User Name
Password

Old 10-04-2011, 04:42 PM

Default What's goin on with ISIS

I was just curious what is going on with ISIS. For a while it seemed like the end all be all of automotive aftermarket wiring and now I've neither heard nor seen anything about them. Why aren't builders using them in their projects. I see quite a few using AAW and Ron Francis, but no ISIS. Any particular reasons? I was thinking about running it in my project but am having reservations due to the lack of others running it (meaning to me it may have some insurmountable flaws).
Old 10-05-2011, 02:56 PM

Good timing....I was just watching the video on ISIS's website and am in the market for a harness. It would be great to hear from some of the builders here.

Bump
Old 10-05-2011, 03:25 PM
Lateral-g Supporting Member

Jay Harris has always answered my questions. I have a setup for my car and have three friends that have them in there's no problems as of yet . You can't believe what this setup can do its endless. You should also ask over at PT.com thay have guys that have this setup,thats where the original group purchased first started. But if you have any questions Jay will be happy two answer them for you. ISIS isn't a fly by night company I believe there owned by BUSS..
Old 10-05-2011, 03:42 PM

Thanked 1,077 Times in 385 Posts

I've looked at this system a couple of times... and here was my "take away". It really didn't seem to save any "wiring" or time for installs... and what it really added was being able to fade the interior lights etc...or keep your stereo on after you've turned the ignition off / until you open the door to exit etc.

So if that's not what you have in mind - i.e., bringing your project up to modern day features - then why bother... but if you think those things make your car cooler or it's just because you want stuff to work that way - then this is the ticket.
Old 10-05-2011, 03:50 PM

Thanked 1,077 Times in 385 Posts

PS -- Apparently I'm using it in my next build....
Old 10-05-2011, 03:58 PM

I have no personal exerience with it, but checked it out @ SEMA last year. It seems exteremly expandable and electronic control options are almost without limit. Having said that, you could also piece together a multi-vendor system that will do most of what GW mentioned above.

John Parsons did one I believe. It was a long install, but he was generally favorable about the product. Gandalf/Gregg is doing one now - he's an IT guy and this system is right up his alley. All is right in his world...

Personally, unless something changes my mind I'm going AAW for ease of install and the fact that I don't need that many options. I'm building a hotrod, not a Dub showcar.

There's a rumor of an impending GP over on PT...

Old 10-05-2011, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregWeld View Post
PS -- Apparently I'm using it in my next build....
Don't let that tall guy push you around Greg!

Old 10-05-2011, 04:17 PM

What does it actually offer that is going to matter for the majority of people? Some of their biggest points were that it somehow sped up installation, that it made identifying and tracking down problems easier, and that it allows customization of how the system operates.

On the first point it has seemed to me unlikely that it would be any faster. Even comparing universal kit to ISIS it seems like I'm missing something that would make it faster and easier to install. Compared to a direct fit AAW type kit, it seems like an even more ridiculous comparison.

Identifying problems sounds good but it seems like many of the potential issues would come from the fact ISIS is a universal wiring kit and you might screw things up because it won't have instructions for your vehicle.

Customization sounds nice also but how many people are going to use any of it?

There are certainly situations where I imagine it's great, I mean if I had a car that had no direct fit kit for it, I would certainly consider it, but I think once the shine of it being a fancy thing wore off, people maybe realized that the half the cost AAW kit was a wiser move.
Old 10-05-2011, 04:23 PM

I have a system I bought for my project but have not yet installed it. I bought it for several reasons. It can handle anything electronic I can think up. It has a kind of anti-theft built into it. To me it's a much simpler way to wire a car and it can be added on to with ease.

ISIS' claim that it uses less wires is based I think on how much wiring you would need if you wanted a lof of the ISIS features and had to wire them in the traditional manner. If you're just wiring up the most common components you won't use any less wire. The ISIS system really is a much simpler and efficient way to get things done electrically though, once you get your mind around how it works.

69 Camaro
Several other things with wheels and engines

https://lateral-g.net/forums/showthread.php4?t=27133
Old 10-05-2011, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregWeld View Post
I've looked at this system a couple of times... and here was my "take away". It really didn't seem to save any "wiring" or time for installs... and what it really added was being able to fade the interior lights etc...or keep your stereo on after you've turned the ignition off / until you open the door to exit etc.

So if that's not what you have in mind - i.e., bringing your project up to modern day features - then why bother... but if you think those things make your car cooler or it's just because you want stuff to work that way - then this is the ticket.
Friggin buzz kill Weld..........