Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Technical Discussions > Interior and Electrical
User Name
Password

Old 03-04-2005, 08:53 AM
Supporting Member

Default Planning out stereo, wish I were a ricer and knew this stuff. Okay not really!

Okay, I really dont know anything about stereos, I know the basic components I will need, but other than that, I just want a decent CD player, and dont need a whole lot of other stuff.
My hope is to get a nice system in my 69' without having to cut up any panels or anything. I have the Covan Dash which has a blank spot to put the head unit in, I can get an amp under the dash, a seat, or the trunk, wherever need be. And then how many speakers can you get in, four?
I have been looking around and there is a crazy amount of options, and for crazy amounts of money. I just want a decent CD player head unit, decent speakers, and I don't need subs or any of the other stuff. Just something for long cruises to shows an such.
What have you guys used in your cars? What companies do you recommend? What is the proper amount of equipment I am going to need?
This is gonna be stereo 101 for me, I wish I had friends who drove hondas!

BTW: I am at work, playing online talking about the stereo they are slowly paying for. This is one nice campus job!

Thanks
Tim
Old 03-04-2005, 09:26 AM

Default Stereo

Just depends on how big of a music listener that you are. I love music so my stereo in my 69 is going to be good...but not over the top.

Put a head unit in the stock location. I got last years model of the Pioneer Premier series DEH-p650. It has 50watts a channel and has good controls for the subs. I am going to run 2 4 inch speaker in the dash where the factory speaker went and use the radio power to run those. I am putting 2 6.5 in the kick panels where Steilow did his in the Mule and I am doing them the same way. If you are not running vintage air, you can get a 5.25 to fit where the stock kick panel speakers fit. Running 2 6 by 9's in the rear and 2 10 inch subs in the trunk. Using the small Memphis Belle amp. 50 watts by 4 channel for the 6.5's and 6 by 9's. It has a sub channel that I am gong to run on a 1 ohm load on the 2 10's and that will be 400 watts.

If you do not want to go that elaborate run 4 or 5.25 in the kick panels and 6 by 9's in the rear with a 4 channel amp. You can get a "Bazooka Tube" with its own power for the trunk...you really need a sub. www.crutchfield.com you can pick up some good deals.

Hope this helps.
Old 03-04-2005, 11:50 AM
Lateral-g Supporting Member

I agree with Payton you need a sub, it lets you "feel" the music.The pioneer Head units have a million different adjustments and are good for the money.If you are going to run four speakers and a sub do yourself a favor and get one 5 or 6 channel amp,phoenix gold makes some nice ones.It will give you some good power without stepping into multiple amps.To save cash a space you can one run 12" sub in mono.I like like JL sub they have a nice hit Good luck

Last edited by jonny51; 03-04-2005 at 11:53 AM.
Old 03-04-2005, 12:07 PM

Tim,

I am in the same process as you and like you dont know much about it either. However, I just bought the Alphine CDA-9831. Has detachable face, tilt, XM contols (still need tuner),plays mp3's, cdr & rw's, remote, hookups for amps, download updates from Alphine to head unit, several colors for display etc. Retails for over $400. Circuit City has them for $269. Lowest price I've found.

Let us know what you decide on etc.

Jay
Old 03-04-2005, 12:11 PM

Default Speakers

Sorry, I forgot to say what my speakers were/ or the ones that I like. I am hip to the JL Audio speakers as well.
Old 03-04-2005, 01:12 PM
Supporting Member

Thanks, that really helps. I think I will do the 4 speakers, one amp, and sub. I checked out that site Payton, good deals it seemed, thanks.
As far as what I will choose, I will probably go for the midline of some of the good companies, something midlevel from alpine. A $270 head unit is just too much for me, and I know there are quality ones cheaper.

As far as the 2 speakers in the kicker, does the panel need to be cut, or is there a placement there for them?

I will do some pricing around this weekend and see what types of things I can find...cheap is the goal, but I dont want crap, and I dont need the extreme, so nice product right in the middle.

Thanks
Tim
Old 03-04-2005, 01:18 PM
Supporting Member

Okay, here is where stupid questions start. I just looked..5 channel amps are upward of 500$! It almost seems cheaper to get 2, 3 channel amps, but I dont really know the benefits or whatnot of the amps. Whats the necessity, what does it add...I am getting dumber by the word here.

Thanks
Tim
Old 03-04-2005, 01:51 PM
Supporting Member

It sounds like you need to just get a head unit with 35 to 50 watts per channel to run your kick panel and rear speakers (four total). You can get a simple amplified subwoofer much like the Bazooka and others to mount behind the back seat.

This will give you good clean rich sound that should meet the needs you are after.

Believe it or not, you should be able to find all these components at your local Walmart or K-mart in the performance and price range you are after.
Old 03-04-2005, 07:54 PM

stereo is as far as you want to go. you can tie a whole lot into it or just do some simple stuff. mine got extreme fast but its done really well. i have all rockford fostgate parts in my car and really like them, plus they look really cool. here is my back deck with the port for the box in the truck threw it...
Old 03-04-2005, 08:02 PM
Supporting Member

slownova...that is cool, and I have said it before, but your car is awesome!

I think setups like than can be cool and look good, but its just something I dont need.
Quote:
It sounds like you need to just get a head unit with 35 to 50 watts per channel to run your kick panel and rear speakers (four total). You can get a simple amplified subwoofer much like the Bazooka and others to mount behind the back seat.
I think that is right. I talked to a buddy of mine and figured out I really don't need alot. He kept mentioning that without an amp you cant really crank it too loud..but I dont blast music, I just want a solid setup for cruising. I was concerned about it vs. the exhaust note (I love it), but at speed it resonates a bit inside. So I think a 4 speaker setup with head unit at like 50x4 would work right now, even with the exhaust, and if I can find a relatively cheap sub, then that too. If I get more into the stereo side of things I can add more in time.

Now to find a good headunit and speakers that match the interior!

Thanks
Tim