Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Technical Discussions > Race Cars and Modern Pro-Street
User Name
Password

Old 07-12-2011, 05:55 PM

Default Going from Pro-Street to Modern Pro-Street

New here so please take it easy on me. I've had my Pro-street car finished since 2005 (husband built it). Shown it in indoor shows, outdoor shows, drive it to work on nice days, go to cruise-ins, beat on it, been in several magazines and just to show it wasn't an all show, no go, test & tuned it at 3 local tracks and ended up on Pinks Allout so now it's been on tv proving it's a true 10.5 car. Basically been everywhere and done everything. We've been very lucky.

That being said, my MS makes it so racing isn't something we want to continue with. Besides the fact that it's darn expensive to be competitive. So, we've decided to go back to showing. Since it's been so overexposed in it's current build I want to put new wheels and tires on it (among a few other updates) to change the look. We're looking at Bonspeed Huntington wheels - 18x6 in front and 20x15 rear. Our problem is we're having a hard time picturing it on the car. It's a 69 Camaro and I've seen a couple done with 20's in rear that look like the ride height/stance is much higher than we want and currently have.

Any ideas on where I can find pics of some that are nice and low (without airbags and not tube chassis cars) or find a way to see what those size wheels would look like on my car?

Thanks for any input!
Tracy in WA

P.S. Attached a couple pics of my car. Husband has a '41 Willys of his own with a big block. Mine's the baby car.
Attached Images

Old 07-20-2011, 04:59 PM

Sweet car i deffantly would change wheels but not to modern pro street that look has come and gone already!
Keep the killer race look and look into a set of holeshot racing wheels or billet specialties new line of wheels.
Old 07-26-2011, 11:02 PM

You have a really beautifull car. I grew up with pro streets and i never out grew them. New wheels would be nice but keep your old ones. You can allways change them back and never get tired of one look.
Old 07-27-2011, 06:24 PM

Thank you both for taking the time to reply. I'll look into the holeshot and billet specialties wheels. The modern pro-street never got up here to WA so I think it may(?) still be a viable option. Since 20's seem to be more and more normal as they are available on stock from the factory cars (my new Camaro for instance) people seem to be getting used to seeing them. They still seem to be a rariety here in the Northwest. Pretty sure we may be behind the times here. LOL!

I would keep my old wheels but when we switch over we'll need to switch out brakes which my husband says will make it so the old wheels/tires probably won't work with the new wheels/tires set up. Currently have disc brakes in front and drums in back which is why we went with the Convo-pros to begin with as we didn't have pretty brakes all around. Actually have two sets of those wheels - one with drag slicks and the other with radials. Guess we'll be selling all those.

Thank you both for the compliments on my car. We have truly enjoyed having it and using it!

Tracy
NW Washington
Old 08-19-2011, 11:14 AM

That car is to nice to mess with. Leave it old school

Accelerating is optional...........stopping is mandatory. Your car WILL stop one way or another.
Old 10-16-2011, 08:25 PM

Like G Body said, came and now gone and we dont miss it a bit.... 20's in a low profile Pro touring way (345-25-20 for ex), yes, but not with the big 33x22x20 mickey's and their ugly/ weird thread....

Billet Specialities has a KILLER line of polished rim Black centers wheels that would fit your car soooo well. I've seen that car over the net so many times and also its burn out in front of a garage too. If i did something real fast, i'd remove the old school scoop on the blower, now! I'd put it on injection if you are looking to update it.

Looking good btw.

Lead

New for summer '13. My latest find!!

48k miles, 100% original, 1969 Camaro coupe. Untouched, never apart and squeaky clean!!! 327/th350, A/C car. Gold on black w/vinyl top. Only add ons; Fast ratio box and SS396 wheels.

FINALLY!!! A car without rust repairs ever!!! None before, none coming!!! Cant come to modifying it tough....

...So, '67 Camaro project with my laying around stuff out of my black 'vert. 468 BB and YSI blower, braked th400, 12 bolt/spool, 35 splines etc. Complete Calvert suspension front and rear. 30x13.5 ET Streets, caged, lightened, slammed and running low 9's "Street car"
Old 10-19-2011, 03:28 PM

Wondering where you saw the black center Billet Specialties wheels??
Checked their website and found nothing???
Old 10-19-2011, 09:22 PM

Just type it, use google image or somtin....

New for summer '13. My latest find!!

48k miles, 100% original, 1969 Camaro coupe. Untouched, never apart and squeaky clean!!! 327/th350, A/C car. Gold on black w/vinyl top. Only add ons; Fast ratio box and SS396 wheels.

FINALLY!!! A car without rust repairs ever!!! None before, none coming!!! Cant come to modifying it tough....

...So, '67 Camaro project with my laying around stuff out of my black 'vert. 468 BB and YSI blower, braked th400, 12 bolt/spool, 35 splines etc. Complete Calvert suspension front and rear. 30x13.5 ET Streets, caged, lightened, slammed and running low 9's "Street car"
Old 07-07-2012, 10:17 AM

Default Tire size

This is easily done with Photo shop or some other photo program on your computer. I use CorelDraw which is easy to use. Basically you need to take a good side view image of the car. The bring that and scale the image up to the actual size of the vehicle or at least a size that you could measure the size of the wheel diameters. Now get an image of the wheel you want perferable a good straight on view and crop the image so the wheel is the only part you can see. Then overaly it on the vehicle image.

One thing you need to remember is that if you increase the size of the wheel and you keep the same aspect ratio of the tires the car will look more "Jacked up" or sit higher because you have the same series tire. You will need to go to a lower series of tire like a 45 , 40 or even a 35 series tire to achieve the same overall height of the tires. Not sure what you have now but it is easy to figure out. If you send me the spec i can give you the information, heck I'll even do the wheel overlay for you if you want. It is easy for me since i have all the tools. Just email me a good side view with the dimensions of the wheels and overall height of the tires.

Hope this helps, I love the prostreet look
Old 07-09-2012, 02:20 PM

Work got slow, then company sold and then layoff so no rebuild last year. Maybe this year? Tried to attach a photo of the look I was maybe going to go for with next build. Maybe this winter? Almost have a nice new job. Final interview this week with job offer contigent on drug test and since I don't do drugs that's easy. Only two and a half month layoff - not bad.

Hope this picture comes through - it's off the contact page on Newstagia wheels site but they are Bonspeed Huntington wheels that aren't sold on Newstalgia anymore but can buy direct from Bonspeed.

Tracy
Federal Way, WA
Attached Images