Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Technical Discussions > Race Cars and Modern Pro-Street
User Name
Password

Old 07-22-2012, 09:01 PM

Default 98 Pro Street Sonoma

This is a 98 Sonoma i recently picked up that had a blown engine (as in broke). I and stuffing M/T 33x21.5x15, 15x15 Pro Stars rear and 15x4 front. Plans are to drop in a hot SBC with an 871 huffer. I will get more pics coming. I am on a very strict budget with this build so progress will be kinda slow.

Last edited by ProStreetSonoma; 07-26-2012 at 06:43 PM.
Old 08-05-2012, 08:40 AM

Made some progress yesterday. Got the frame narrowed, still have to build gussets now to reinforce everything. Axles should be here next week. I just set the tires in place to see if everything looked in proportion. Should be back rolling by this time next week.

Old 08-05-2012, 04:47 PM

That looks really good so far, can't wait to see the finished product! Are you going to be boxing the rear frame at all? I also see the pieces of angle iron you are using in the rear to keep the frame off the ground I assume, how did you go about making sure the frame was square before you began cutting?

I am planning on boxing the rear frame of my sy soon and adding the ridetech rear 4-link. I like your idea of using the angle iron to help support it as its quick and easy to do and I won't have to waste a bunch of jack stands to keep it supported!

Good luck with the project its looking really good
'91 GMC Syclone #892
'92 GMC Typhoon #0076 Dads
'92 GMC Typhoon # Project Burnt Ty
Old 08-05-2012, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syclone892 View Post
That looks really good so far, can't wait to see the finished product! Are you going to be boxing the rear frame at all? I also see the pieces of angle iron you are using in the rear to keep the frame off the ground I assume, how did you go about making sure the frame was square before you began cutting?

I am planning on boxing the rear frame of my sy soon and adding the ridetech rear 4-link. I like your idea of using the angle iron to help support it as its quick and easy to do and I won't have to waste a bunch of jack stands to keep it supported!

Good luck with the project its looking really good
Thanks, I am excited to see the final product myself, LOL. Yes, i will be boxing and adding gussets at every angle as much as possible. I will post pics along to show you all i'm doing. I actually tack welded 4 angles, 2 at the rear and 2 just rear of where i cut the frame. Prior to all this, i measured the original frame from every possible angle i could measure it. Overkill in measuring is your best friend. Go ahead and measure things that you may think are unimportant because it just may pay off in the end. Using the vertical angle supports as i have keeps everything exactly as it was before height wise. Drop me a line if you have any questions or would like to see a specific picture of what i have done.
Old 08-12-2012, 04:28 PM

Almost have the rear end completed. Here are a couple shots as of this weekend.

Old 08-12-2012, 05:41 PM

Looks great.

just needs MOAR LOWZ

Matt
Old 08-18-2012, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by badmatt View Post
Looks great.

just needs MOAR LOWZ

Matt

I agree totally but i have 4" blocks on it now. How can i get it lower? Does someone made lowered leaf springs?