T-56 164 60.74%
Voters: 270. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-05-2005, 02:25 AM

real cars have 3 pedals
Old 09-05-2005, 08:14 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by streetfytr68
I had a nice lengthly response typed up. Instead, I think I'm gonna try to stay out of this one.
/Steevo
Lets hear it, Steve.

My LS7 69 Camaro
Old 09-05-2005, 08:33 AM

Auto

best part... you can chirp the tires or in your case... ROAST THEM at your whim

oh yea, not to mention the cruise factor you have with an auto compared to a stick.
Old 09-05-2005, 08:59 AM
Lateral-g Supporting Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by XcYZ
Lets hear it, Steve.
Alright,
I didn't want to come across as a biased salesman (It's hard not to since A: I'm biased, and B: I'm a salesman.) Johnny51 PM'd me for my input. I hope he doesn't mind if I post my response in total (unedited) out in the open. Sorry if I will offend anyone and feel free to argue any of my points.
/Steevo

"I know it's a tough decision. You have to compare a virtual unknown (the manumatic) to a proven solution. I suggest that you think of the paddle shifter as icing on the cake and instead focus on comparing a computer controlled automatic to a manual with the emphasis on "computer control". When you do that, it breaks down like this:

1) Reliability: 4L80E I have not seen any data showing the T56 can handle the recent popularity in big TT power. And it's really too soon to ask.
2) Timed Accel: 4L80E The '80 has the advantage in 0-60, E.T. and most important: consistency.
3) Road Race Acceleration: TIE (The manumatic allows you to pick a gear, hit your apex, and get back in the throttle at the right rpm. The manual will beat the 4L80E if you are very good at shifting.
4) Road Race Decel: Manual If you like to use compression braking when diving into corners, the manual has an advantage due to the lack of overrun clutches in 4th gear on the 4L80E. You can engage the overrun clutches by selecting 3rd instead of 4th with your 4L80E, then paddle shifting 1-2-3 only. Or keep it in 4th and just use your car's brakes to the fullest--which is what I do.
5) Commuting: 4L80E That one's obvious.
6) Installation: 4L80E Spend some time in the "manual transmission" topics and look at all the problems people are having with some T56 vendors and the installation process. Unlike fuel injection, trans controllers are extremely easy to install, will work out of the box (base calibration) and are easy (and fun) to calibrate for optimized performance.
7) "Wow-Factor" 4L80E Trust me, you may as well have Pamela Anderson sitting in your cockpit.
8) Price: 4L80E Total cost is around $3500.
9) Guarantee: 4L80E I offer a 100% satisfaction guarantee on the Shrifter--including shipping. That may be of little consequence since you still have to buy the other automatic transmission system components. I can't help you there. But it's nice to know that I stand behind the paddle shifter. And I'll stick with you throughout the install/calibration process.

So to me, the auto is the quanitifiable winner. You just have to get over some of the subjective issues like "banging gears" and "fear of the unknown". The thrill of bangin' gears DOES get offset with the novelty of triggering shifts without taking your hands off the wheel or switching to "manual mode" on the fly to carve up light traffic on the highway. It's a good feeling, but very different. Paddle shifting is almost too easy. It's a surgical, electronic feeling rather than an aggressive, mechanical sensation.

I can't really help you with fear of the unknown, except to recommend that you test drive some manumatic factory cars--but only if they offer steering wheel controls. Nudging a +/- floor shifter on a Kia is not the same.
I understand that this is new technology. It inspires lots of questions, so feel free to ask away.
And thank you for your interest
/Steevo
-END QUOTE

Ridetech.com
Old 09-05-2005, 01:03 PM

You know, I have bought and sold TWO six speeds, and one auto trying to make up my mind on this one. As I get closer to the final product design of my car I have taken a couple things into consideration. I do plan to track my car and although I love blast through any corner I find, I have no real world experience. Although I REALLY want a 6 speed for mpg, I am leaning more towards the auto and Shrifter for the '68 for a couple reasons.

A. F1-paddle shift - just cool
B. Grand AM C6 Corvettes- paddleshift - win almost every race
C. auto for big HP realiability
D. easier to use on the track
E. Less likely my wife will break it

With gas looming around $3.00/gal, mileage is everything right now as I do plan to put miles on my car. Auto will have a little less mileage than a manual with everything else equal. Hope this helps. I am sure Steevo is happy he is about to win over another "gear bangin" wanna be.

Mike
Old 09-05-2005, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Musclerodz
I am sure Steevo is happy he is about to win over another "gear bangin" wanna be.
Mike
Yeah, I have no delusions of converting everyone. Actually, I'm impressed that the polling results are as close as they are. The vote of confidence is encouraging to say the least. My only goal is to try and educate people as best I can. What ever happens after that is up to the consumer.
Thanks for initiating the poll Jon
/Steevo

Ridetech.com
Old 09-05-2005, 06:28 PM

just to add to the debate i will throw in my $.02 about deciding on auto/manual.

IF i was to build a mostly street driven cruiser, i would lean towards the auto. reasoning should be pretty obvious.... but if it was meant to be a street driven cruiser... why would we be doing TT set-up and shooting for the 800hp mark?

IF i planned on building the ultimate weekend thrasher...800hp TT... and planned on tearing up the dragstrip and seldom looking for the road track... i would also be looking towards the auto.

here is the major reason why i would choose a manual, my personal interests have more to do with road racing, drag racing is cool...but more of a "just cuz i can" thing... i come from road racing bikes, my personal driving style is where the manual trans comes into play..... engine braking is part of it.... but mostly of being able to engine brake to a point.... clutch and select the right gear for accelerating out of the corner.... usually its a downshift beyond where i was for braking. granted.... if i was willing to LEARN to drive the paddle shifted auto.... this could be easy to duplicate... and faster downshift at exactly the right moment to get it back in the power for accelerating out.... but im set in my ways of burning the clutch earlier in the exits keeping the tires on the edge of staying stuck.

i personally wont pony up for something i dunno if i will really like.... for my driving style. i will stick with what i know and like, but thats just me.

i honestly cant see any reason why someone who doesnt have personal preferance to the way they max effort drive... would not be willing to go paddle shifted auto.

btw.. all my vehicles except my bagged crew cab dually have been road raced at some point..... even my daily driver sts has been to an autocross event.(front wheel drive V8/auto...talk about ugly )
Old 09-06-2005, 01:45 PM

Default real men

Real men drive manuals.
On the other hand I wish I was secure enough in my masculinity to let my gears be shifted automatically.

All kidding aside if you are on the fence you will be happy with either choice. The Shrifter is a great product..Perhaps the best of both worlds.
However for me I prefer bangin the gears!!!
Scott
G Force Design Concepts #004
Pro Touring 1965 Ford Mustang Fastback
FRPP 347c.i./450hp
SSBC 4WDB,Budnik M5's
G Force T5 etc..
FOR SALE
Old 09-06-2005, 05:59 PM
Lateral-g Moderator

Default Car

I have a car with a manumatic setup (E55) and I rarely use it. It's nice that the tranny shifts itself. There is a fun factor with the shifting, but If I don't have to I prefer not to.

Manual tranny's have to be shifted, no choice. Most driving, besides racing, is much easier and less hassle when the tranny shifts itself.

My point is that manual HAS to be shifted, Manumatics have a choice.

I must be getting old, but a great auto setup is just as good or better than manual for overall use, IMO.
Old 09-06-2005, 08:19 PM

I see a lot of "bangin gears" feedback. I can't do anything to emulate or replace the visceral "rowing" sensation or the heel/toe tapdance. Although paddle shifting is stimulating (much more so than a floor shifted auto, I guess I'm trying to eliminate that sensation with the Shrifter:

1) Complete each shift as quickly and/or efficiently as possible--and with a high degree of repeatability.
2) Concentrate on steering wheel control, throttle control and brake application.
3) Reduce the likelihood of driver error during downshifts.
4) Support the Pro-Touring mantra, by bringing previously untapped technology to the world of hot rodding.

I guess it can be summed up by comparing a hammer to a nail gun. Sure you'll vent more frustration with a hammer, but you'll probably get more accomplished with the nail gun.
/Steevo

Ridetech.com