Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Technical Discussions > Transmission and Rear End
User Name
Password

Old 01-12-2012, 09:39 PM

This isn't circle track.com These are street cars and I know you have 0 miles on your set up. It may prove to be a reliable street/track setup, but time will tell.
Old 01-13-2012, 07:44 AM

Watching with interest, have been researching this subject for a few months.
Old 01-13-2012, 10:01 AM

Default I have a floater in mine

from Moser and it has been fine. Which part do you not think will not be reliable?

Not all floaters will work in our cars from the circle track world. Most have 5/8 studs and a center register that would be too long to have a center cap on your rim. There are a couple of alternatives that will work.

The two that I found to be the best was the Moser DB floater and the Speedway unit. With the Speedway unit they will re-drill the hub to run 1/2 studs instead of the 5/8's. If I remember correctly, the Speedway housing, aluminum hubs redrilled and axles was around $1600. Moser price was listed above.

Is Speed Tech working with Chicane to produce and market his floater that is in development?
Old 01-13-2012, 11:17 AM

I just don't trust anything anymore until it's been tested for a reasonable duration. I like the sealed corvette bearing setup for a bullet proof solution. I bet speedtech and chicane are working together.
Old 01-13-2012, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegas69 View Post
I just don't trust anything anymore until it's been tested for a reasonable duration. I like the sealed corvette bearing setup for a bullet proof solution. I bet speedtech and chicane are working together.
Todd,

With respect, I gotta say the circle track floater setups especially those from speedway have more hours of testing and abuse to prove the design than anything the PT community is bringing out right now. The only un-known if you will is the braking packages. However they are also unknowns on the PT specific floater packages. I would have no issue running any of the Moser, Speedway, AFCO products from the circle track world on any Street Track Car or All Out Track car for that matter. There are parts being sold to the PT community for multiple times the price you can get them for from the racing world. Not all, but some. I think as long as anyone does their research and is comfortable with their own decisions it is not an issue. But, back to topic, the "circle track" floaters are top notch. That Corvette Sealed Bearing setup as part of a floater is the least tested solution mentioned in this thread. Mark S. has the only real time on them, that i have been able to find. I certainly take his word for its performance, but that is only 1 test so far. I hope all these solutions pan out. The more choices, the better the pricing. We all win! I certainly am not trying to argue with you, just impart some of the benefit of my past research when I was a circle track racer!

68 Chevy Pickup Project
Build Thread: https://lateral-g.net/forums/showthread.php4?t=7505

THANKS TO: A&M Machine and Fabrication, CCTek (http://www.candctek.com), Hermance Design(www.hermancedesign.com), Paradise Road Rod & Custom, Harry Opfer Welding, Wegner Automotive Research, Clayton Machine Works
Old 01-13-2012, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Payton King View Post
from Moser and it has been fine. Which part do you not think will not be reliable?

Not all floaters will work in our cars from the circle track world. Most have 5/8 studs and a center register that would be too long to have a center cap on your rim. There are a couple of alternatives that will work.

The two that I found to be the best was the Moser DB floater and the Speedway unit. With the Speedway unit they will re-drill the hub to run 1/2 studs instead of the 5/8's. If I remember correctly, the Speedway housing, aluminum hubs redrilled and axles was around $1600. Moser price was listed above.

Is Speed Tech working with Chicane to produce and market his floater that is in development?
Yes would be the short answer.
This Set up is all OEM stuff, ZR1 Corvette, so i figure it has been tested already. the packaging is super tight also no special wheels the off set should not change from a standard 2.5" ford , i will need to confirm that.
Old 01-13-2012, 11:37 AM

[QUOTE=ccracin;389494]Todd,

That Corvette Sealed Bearing setup as part of a floater is the least tested solution mentioned in this thread. Mark S. has the only real time on them, that i have been able to find. I certainly take his word for its performance, but that is only 1 test so far.

Other than all the testing GM has done ofcourse.
the only part of the set up that is any different than a factory Corvette is the Billet housing end.
speedtech is excited to be able bring this product to market.
Old 01-13-2012, 11:51 AM

[QUOTE=killer69;389498]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccracin View Post
Todd,

That Corvette Sealed Bearing setup as part of a floater is the least tested solution mentioned in this thread. Mark S. has the only real time on them, that i have been able to find. I certainly take his word for its performance, but that is only 1 test so far.

Other than all the testing GM has done ofcourse.
the only part of the set up that is any different than a factory Corvette is the Billet housing end.
speedtech is excited to be able bring this product to market.
I knew the way I worded that was going to come back and bite me! You are correct, but the billet end housing is also mounted to a live axle being driven by a floating axle and not an IRS knuckle being driven by a CV stub shaft. (If that has any importance at all ) My point was that the circle track floater as an assembly minus only different brake packages has been tested and well proven for years and years. I agree with your point, but the complete assembly to Todd's point has not. Don't get me wrong Blake from what Chicane has shown I think it is a great piece and solves the down sides of the racing floaters applied to the street. That's what all this is all about. Getting better and pushing the envelope. Everyone has their own set of criteria when buying. As I also said before if you do your research and make an informed decision and you are happy, Excellent! The more choices the better. If one of Todd's criteria is testing than he needs to make choices based on that. Another guy may want the latest trick part regardless of testing, so be it. I have no doubt you will have success with this part. I just wanted to throw out that the quote"circle track" stuff is well tested and proven.

68 Chevy Pickup Project
Build Thread: https://lateral-g.net/forums/showthread.php4?t=7505

THANKS TO: A&M Machine and Fabrication, CCTek (http://www.candctek.com), Hermance Design(www.hermancedesign.com), Paradise Road Rod & Custom, Harry Opfer Welding, Wegner Automotive Research, Clayton Machine Works
Old 01-13-2012, 12:46 PM

Tested and well proven on the racetrack. Not 10,000 miles on the street. I may be dead wrong but often times RACE parts don't make for reliable street parts. A tried and tested GM ZR1 hub is tested. I agree the adaptation could cause issues. The ZR1 hub set up isn't really a floating design. If it's good enough for a ZR1 it's to good for me.
Old 01-13-2012, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegas69 View Post
Tested and well proven on the racetrack. Not 10,000 miles on the street. I may be dead wrong but often times RACE parts don't make for reliable street parts. A tried and tested GM ZR1 hub is tested. I agree the adaptation could cause issues. The ZR1 hub set up isn't really a floating design. If it's good enough for a ZR1 it's to good for me.
I was not getting defensive. and do agree that RACE parts are not always the BEST Sterrt parts, actually in alot of cases probably exactly the opposite, like say aluminum connecting rod.
The ZR1 hubs are the part of Choice due to the fact that they have 35 splines, and the larger bearing pack and thicker wheel flange compared to the standard C5 / Z06 rear hub.
another good point Todd "If it's good enough for a ZR1 it's to good for me."
but some people just have a different piont of view, and those consumers is who these products are aimed at, no doubt about it.