Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Technical Discussions > Transmission and Rear End
User Name
Password

Old 04-23-2012, 06:13 PM
Lateral-g Supporting Member

Well as I mentioned I am going with a speedway full floater which they normally spec with 31 spine inner count.

https://lateral-g.net/forums/show...10645&page=171

Old 04-23-2012, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FETorino View Post
Well as I mentioned I am going with a speedway full floater which they normally spec with 31 spine inner count.
Better update you sig line then...

Which floater did you choose, the GN? I was down there a couple of weeks ago and they have lots of options, even 35 spline...

Old 04-23-2012, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt.A View Post
What makes you think a Tru Trac with 31 spline axles wouldn't get it done right the first time. I'm not saying you're making the wrong decision, just don't want people to feel they need to steer clear of 31 spline axles or Tru Tracs. Hell, I think I put the most stress on my car back when it had 400 at the wheels. In my opinion, none of our cars can launch hard enough, or run sticky enough tires to worry about that part of the drive train. With my car making mid 500s at the wheels, I'm really not concerned about breaking these parts in question. I haven't shied away from running my car hard, and plan on running it harder in the future. Who knows, maybe I will eat my words. That would suck though, I'm really tired of replacing parts already.

Matt
I launch my drag mustang at 6200rpm with the wheels up on 11" slicks with 31 spline mose axles. No issues.
Old 04-23-2012, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in SoCal View Post
Better update you sig line then...

Which floater did you choose, the GN? I was down there a couple of weeks ago and they have lots of options, even 35 spline...
Yea when the chassis get a little farther along and I've gone all in on some of the decisions I'll put a detailed list on my build thread.

I have a couple cars with 31 spline 9 inch rears so the idea of sticking with 31 spline and being able to try out a couple of my gear combos before building the final product appeals to me.

I'm not going to be doing any 5000rpm clutch dumps with slicks so I don't know if 35 spline is necessary. Ken at Speedway was steering me to the Mod Lite. I need to talk to Phil next week about which housing they usually use in their builds. I like the idea of less unsprung weight of the ModLite vs the GN.

https://lateral-g.net/forums/show...10645&page=171

Old 04-23-2012, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6D9 Matt View Post
Im going with a Moser 9" with 35-spline wavetrac (vs a 31-spline truetrac). Gonna get it done right the first time and not have to worry. Plus the lifetime warranty is nice.

Your T56 would snap before you broke a trutrac and axle.

33 would be fine if you want the extra safety. Just trying to save you some $$$

65 Fastback "Maddo" @ Meanstreets Performance. Ridetech, crate 306/T5, tubbed, Forgeline
Old 04-23-2012, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FETorino View Post
Yea when the chassis get a little farther along and I've gone all in on some of the decisions I'll put a detailed list on my build thread.

I have a couple cars with 31 spline 9 inch rears so the idea of sticking with 31 spline and being able to try out a couple of my gear combos before building the final product appeals to me.

I'm not going to be doing any 5000rpm clutch dumps with slicks so I don't know if 35 spline is necessary. Ken at Speedway was steering me to the Mod Lite. I need to talk to Phil next week about which housing they usually use in their builds. I like the idea of less unsprung weight of the ModLite vs the GN.
Yeah I hear you, those things are heavy! I spoke to Frank @ Speedway...very knowledgable guy. I could be wrong, but I think the ModLte was 26 spline at the axle end?

Old 04-23-2012, 07:59 PM

If you guys figure out a way to launch a pro touring car well enough to break a 31 spline axle or true trac, please clue me in because I want to join you.

The best 60 foot times I've seen on a pro touring car is in the mid 1.7 second range and that was bad penny on drag radials. Hell it might have been 1.8's. That's pitiful in the drag world.
Old 04-23-2012, 10:54 PM
Lateral-g Supporting Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegas69 View Post
If you guys figure out a way to launch a pro touring car well enough to break a 31 spline axle or true trac, please clue me in because I want to join you.

The best 60 foot times I've seen on a pro touring car is in the mid 1.7 second range and that was bad penny on drag radials. Hell it might have been 1.8's. That's pitiful in the drag world.
... Don't forget, Steve did that by using a special torque management device called a clutch. I just remember that image of his car launching pouring smoke from under the car, instead of behind it. Still, I'd say a burnt up clutch was worth the Wally he won.

Anyway, Steve said he is going to be getting Penny ready for a little drag strip action. One of the cool things about the Lateral Dynamics three link is that the upper control arm has a few different mounting settings so he can get more anti-squat out of it than he had when running at Fontana last year when he set those times.

Matt
Old 04-23-2012, 11:01 PM

I wouldn't borrow that guy a rock and 2x4. He'd bring them back broke.
Old 04-24-2012, 09:16 AM

I called into Moser this morning and they are saying that a 33 spline 12 bolt is rated at 600-650hp for a high rpm launch. The axles are rated higher but the carrier is the weak link. With a spool it will go 800hp. He noted that non of the posi carriers are made for high rpm drag launches. Unless you can launch at high rpm on a drag strip, it's not a variable. So, 35 spline axles are overkill.

Last edited by Vegas69; 04-24-2012 at 09:20 AM.