Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Events > Track and Driving Events
User Name
Password

Old 07-13-2010, 01:23 PM

Default Good to see you here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLDFLM View Post
You KNOW I LOVE it!!! Would like to see specs; drivetrain, wheels etc. on it too! And more pics of course!
Ty,
Glad to see your chime in. Bob's car was killer. I was next to it for 4 hours and really had a great discussion with him. Great work by him. Congrats are in order. We should have spent time comparing gaps, but that did not seem important. Captain Manning is coming home from Iraq next month. Philly Cheese steak?? Michael
Old 07-13-2010, 01:35 PM

Default To sum it up

Forget the "gaps" issue. It is not about that. It is about our community, friendships, and passion for our sport. For those who I spoke with at GG and who had seen the car, you know the quality of the craftsmanship in the car.

Each of the cars in the final 5 is an expression and an artistic art form. Mine was one of minimalistic function different from any others in the room. I have the utmost respect for every builder in that room and many who probably should have made it. As a builder of automotive electrical systems, there is no room for “gaps”. You don’t move unless I am right on. All my work gets hidden. However, as far as executing the concept, I am far less talented in this area than those who can critique the finished product. Hence I put my faith in DSE to complete the concept that I wanted. For me, they succeeded. Suffice it to say that I was honored to be amongst the final 5.

Defining the criteria for judging is a difficult task both for the GG staff and the builders, To point at politics and the "good old boy network" is unfair. I too am not interested in a stack of awards and was certainly not selected because I display a vendor both at Goodguys events. I left the restoration network years ago to avoid the criticism of the color of the grade 8 bolts on my hood hinge or the angle of the ink stamps on the heater control box. (I always liked the left handed line workers).

The bar has been raised so far that there must be a different set of criteria used to set apart the truly exceptional cars. We all recognize this. However, trailer queens are another category. That is not ours as we use and abuse our cars. Many of you know me an acknowledged the fact that my car was on the track at Gingerman after an initial 3 hours of wheel time. The ride back from Warren Dune State park alone qualified as its own autocross. It was built to perform and did just that. Is this the criteria or is it a Pro Street look with a minimum 12 second pass? Perhaps the weight of chrome on the car or the yards of carbon fiber are the test. Maybe we need to redefine the pack and subdivide the classes. Maybe it is just not that important.

The bottom line is that we are all big boys able to accept the criticism and revel in the accolades. The judges are human. I did not win the big prize. Kudos to Roger Burman and all the best to Karen Leisinger. Enjoy that car every day!!

Tell people what you want them to hear... Write down what you want them to remember.

So much for my $0.02
Old 07-13-2010, 01:51 PM
Lateral-g Supporting Member

Thanked 1,542 Times in 850 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyd View Post
another note , did everyone see the roadster shop built 55 subburban . that was my favorite vehicle in the show !
6 seats , a/c , 700 hp ls ,will kick a corvette a$$ at a stoplight ..... plenty of room for a beer cooler . what else can anyone want .
The last thing you need is a beer cooler in your truck. Heck didn't you look down at your "K"ankle and you did that jumping off a lift sober.

You need one of these

here is the link just in case you can't find it on your own

Projects - Syborg TT 4.3l v6 Mini-Truck, 2nd Chance Camaro & SLP575 Bumble Bee - 4Sale

Last edited by syborg tt; 08-29-2014 at 08:55 AM.
Old 07-13-2010, 01:58 PM
Lateral-G Supporting Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hdesign View Post
Thanks for jumping in Jason. I was straining my eyes to see the credit board and who the builder was. Please relay to Bob that his car absolutely stunning. I'm a huge, HUGE fan of early 2nd gens and have wanted a 72 forever. Those subtle mods are EXACTLY my style of build. It's refreshing to see a nicely done red muscle car again. Charcoal trim was cool too, not overly understated and worked well as an accent.

I really like the one piece nose...the factory gap between the upper and lower section is insane on those. Hats off to you guys!
Thanks Ben. Glad everyone liked the car but especially when it's a fellow designer. It's amazing those cars aren't more popular because it is a great starting point and has tons of style out of the box. Maybe Bob and Ty will start something big.

Quote:
You KNOW I LOVE it!!! Would like to see specs; drivetrain, wheels etc. on it too! And more pics of course!
You'll have to wait for the full PHR feature for every little bit of tech but I can tell you it has DSE front and rear, 19x10s and 12" true 3 piece Rushforth Night Trains with 345/30 in back and a MAST Motorsports LS motor backed by a Bowler automatic but not sure what size and HP output.
Old 07-13-2010, 02:08 PM
Lateral-g Supporting Member

Thanked 1,542 Times in 850 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayR View Post
Thanks Ben. Glad everyone liked the car but especially when it's a fellow designer. It's amazing those cars aren't more popular because it is a great starting point and has tons of style out of the box. Maybe Bob and Ty will start something big.

You'll have to wait for the full PHR feature for every little bit of tech but I can tell you it has DSE front and rear, 19x10s and 12" true 3 piece Rushforth Night Trains with 345/30 in back and a MAST Motorsports LS motor backed by a Bowler automatic but not sure what size and HP output.
-- he has a website, i just can't remember the link

Projects - Syborg TT 4.3l v6 Mini-Truck, 2nd Chance Camaro & SLP575 Bumble Bee - 4Sale
Old 07-13-2010, 04:12 PM

I have some of my pictures uploaded and I am working on uploading more. Of the pictures that I took, I think this one is my favorite.

Only have about 240 pictures posted, so far I have been having trouble posting up more.
http://profile.imageshack.us/user/diognes56/

There were some disappointments for me (mostly caused by the rain), but I still had a great time . It was nice meeting you Syborg tt, the truck looks great . Wish I could have met more of the members here.

G-Force 'Cuda being there was a pleasant suprize (yes I have the toy). There were several people that I heard (while I was taking pictures) asking why it wasn't in the Pro's Pick area, I explained to a couple of them that it had already won SMOY .

David

Last edited by Diognes56; 07-14-2010 at 06:31 AM.
Old 07-13-2010, 05:11 PM

[QUOTE=Smittys67;295772] George Poteet's truck that Troy built was not in the top 5 so its not about your name or who built it its about what they like. [QUOTE]

Just info, Troy didn't build the Poteet truck. Rad Rides did the paint and some machining work. The designer and builder is Brian Stinger and George contracted Rads for the above stuff. Brian stayed in a hotel by Troy's and assembled the truck at their shop while the parts and panels were finishing paint - which explains his being in the Rads pics on their site.

http://stingershotrodshop.com/index_home.htm

Brian is a super guy and a great artist on canvas and sheetmetal

The paint and machine work was awesome Rads stuff as per their usual build standards

Jim

https://lateral-g.net/forums/showthread.php4?t=5109

Last edited by Garage Dog 65; 07-13-2010 at 05:28 PM.
Old 07-13-2010, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Can't help with specs but.....

Hope that covers your fix! (can you tell I am building a Firebird???)

I have a couple more but they get a little redundant.

Chris
Old 07-13-2010, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulldogchevy View Post
THE OWNER OF THE OTHER 69 CAMARO, WITH THE BAD GAPS I didn't want to defend my car but I feel I need to. First, I built this car in my garage by myself on nights and weekends with the sole intention of selling it. When I arrived at G.G. and parked in the upper lot a G.G. rep told me to bring the car down to the SMOY lot. I knew I couldn't compete and didn't want to compete with these cars but knew it would be good exposure to help sell it. I didn't know that anyone would have the time to take measurements, write them down and then go home and post them on the forum. I know I have some gaps that I need address. In the final assembly I could not duplicate from the first mock up. As far as the other cars go in my opinion there were some amazing builds there. Good luck with your car gaps AJ.
S.C.
P.S thanks Matt for the kind words
Dude your tire placement was SPOT on in my opinion. I really liked where you placed them width wise... probably the best of the bunch. Nice work you should be proud of what you have built!

Chris
Old 07-13-2010, 06:13 PM
Supporting Vendor

RoadsterShop.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyd View Post
another note , did everyone see the roadster shop built 55 subburban . that was my favorite vehicle in the show !
6 seats , a/c , 700 hp ls ,will kick a corvette a$$ at a stoplight ..... plenty of room for a beer cooler . what else can anyone want .
Thanks Kenny.
We just got everything unloaded from the trailers and I shot a few pics for the owner. We were all unsure at first when the owner wanted to turn a 2 door burban into a 4 door, slam it and put 700 + HP under the hood, but it turned out bretty bad a$$ in the end.