Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Lateral-G Open Discussions > Open Discussion
User Name
Password

Old 05-14-2018, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregWeld View Post
5 years ago we moved to a ski town -- my favorite ski town...... I grew up skiing since I was about 7.

3 years in to moving here I realize I'm really just "over" skiing.... saying that out loud in a ski town could get you killed. Saying it out loud was the hard part.

You've done your part - that hard part. The honesty of coming before your car buddies and falling on the sword.

Now.... Sell the POS and let us know what you're in to next!
I just looked up sun valley.... I'd certainly swap shoes(boots) with you come winter! snowboarding is one of the few things that gets put ahead of the car(and even the mrs) for a week or two each year. and I think it's necessary for the motivation to block the car out altogether for a period big or small.
Old 05-14-2018, 12:46 PM
Lateral-g Supporting Member

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by WSSix View Post
lol, I've seriously considered buying an E39 M5 to drive and building an E39 with an LS at the same time. Or, maybe get a CLK320/430 from the same era as the E39 and do an LS swap on it. I love those cars but they're so damn lame with the auto only.
LS Swap the world
Old 05-14-2018, 01:22 PM
Lateral-g Supporting Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash68 View Post
I'm sorry. What I should have said was, "go buy a Fox Body with an LS in it."

(760)480.0227

1969 Camaro - always broken GM Design winner
1965 Mustang - widebody fastback
2006 Coyote swapped "Rental Car"

Up next:
Steve's GT40
Old 05-14-2018, 01:57 PM

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt@BOS View Post
Hmm.. I just picked up a Fox coupe..
Old 05-14-2018, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt@BOS View Post
You're excused. And welcome back Matt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WILWAXU View Post
Hmm.. I just picked up a Fox coupe..
Such bargains.
2004 NASA AIX Mustang LS2 #14
1964 Lincoln Continental
2014 4 tap Keezer
Old 05-16-2018, 12:16 PM

Sadly I can relate all too well. I've owned my Mustang since 1995 and probably have a quarter million dollars into it by now if you include shipping fees ! I also have 20k hours into it, but those were supposed to be fun right ? I'm certainly proud of the skills I taught myself and maybe those will come in handy in the future.

But I've also burnt out hard. The car has never run or looked better, but living in a high traffic suburban environment it is still too rough, too hot, too impractical - the clutch bothers my deteriorating knee, bla bla bla. On a sunny day with low traffic, driving it around I feel like King Of the World, but after an hour even that starts getting old. And tracking it requires so much time and resources not to mention entropy and attrition of all my hard work (not to mention danger) that its not happening much anymore. I often feel pretty disappointed with myself because its never quite lived up to my expectations despite or probably because I was always reaching for the brass ring. I poured 100% of myself into this thing for 20 years and feel like I failed to reach my goals.

I'm very very discreet on the street but as I've gotten older I worry more and more about getting pinched by the cops, or something breaking and causing an accident and hurting/killing myself or someone else whether on the street or track (since it would never be a driving mistake LOL).

But the worst thing is after a life of loving hot cars, I find I have very little passion for them in general anymore. My heart no longer races when I see a Ferrari or Porsche or bitchin' Camaro. I just want to turn up the A/C and the 5000 watt stereo in my '92 Cadillac and be calm and anonymous. Whatever money comes from a sale will just buy me a newer truck.

It hurts, like breaking up with a long time lover as I caress my eyes over ever single inch of the car that I've worked and re-worked.

So its going to my body guy next week (been in the plans for months) and when it comes back I'm going to try and sell it. I suppose if I'm lucky it won't sell and I'll have it forever, but if so it will spend most of the time under the covers because it seems like everytime I take it out it ends up costing me money.

Sorry, not the encouragement you might be looking for but as people say, once it becomes a burden instead of fun its time to move on. As you can tell its a very emotional struggle for me as well.
Old 05-16-2018, 05:29 PM

I can certainly relate to some of the responses, in this thread. Change is a given in our lives, you either move forward to go backward. Staying put is not an option. If you do the same thing long enough, burnout always seems to rear its ugly head. Since I've been building hotrod cars and bikes, for almost 50yrs, I've learned to deal with some of the issue, by having more than one passion/hobby. During the Winter months, I indulge my firearms passion by building custom weaponry and hitting the range, with my wife. During the warm months, either my Elco or my custom Harley get my attention. My wife and I are both Admins for a couple of Facebook groups and I'm also a Mod for the Team Chevelle site so both of us spend way too much time, online.
Being retired does have its advantages.

Bottom line, put your project on hold, for awhile, if need be. Selling it almost always causes remorse. Lord knows, I've sold a ton of vehicles I really wish I had,back.
Old 06-09-2018, 08:15 PM

Small update
https://lateral-g.net/forums/showthre...549#post678549

Still think I'll get something else I can drive while I continue to work on the TA. We'll see.

Current rides: 2000 BMW 540i/6 and 86 C10.

Former ride: 1979 Trans Am WS6: LT1/T56, Kore 3 C5/6 brakes, BMW 18in rims