Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Lateral-G Open Discussions > Open Discussion
User Name
Password

Old 05-05-2018, 07:52 PM

We've all been there building these damn cars. As has been said, take a breather and let it soak in.

I got sick and tired of working on mine and that's part of the reason I sold it. These cars are really never done because they are high maintenance. Mine was worse than most. I like to work on stuff, but I crossed the line by a mile and I was toast when I sold it. That's why I always say these day, I'd build a real factory type car with modern GM stuff or a race car. In between leaves you with a bunch of bastard parts and maintenance.
Old 05-05-2018, 09:30 PM
Lateral-g Supporting Member

Thanks everyone. All good points. I appreciate the responses.

For me, it's time not money. I'd rather be spending my time elsewhere really. I intend to hold on to the car for a bit even if or after I get something else. I enjoy working on the car when it's on my terms. It feels like a burden right now though.

I'm looking at E39 M5's, 02 or 03 preferably. I think that'll give me the driving enjoyment I want. I consider them quite affordable now, too. As Mike mentioned concerning his Camaro compared to the Porsche, it's a hammer. My TA is the same way. I chuckle when reading people talk about the M5 as a beast. I have no doubt it's a fun drive, I haven't driven one yet, but beast is not an apt description in my opinion. It's a modern car though. It'll do everything I want my TA to do better even if it's not as powerful. I imagine it'll be powerful enough and that's what matters. I guess I'm wanting to hit the easy button now is all.

Sorry to hear about your losses, Ahmad. I totally agree that cars/hobbies don't take priority over family and life.

Thanks everyone.

Current rides: 2000 BMW 540i/6 and 86 C10.

Former ride: 1979 Trans Am WS6: LT1/T56, Kore 3 C5/6 brakes, BMW 18in rims
Old 05-05-2018, 09:35 PM

What Todd said - just take a breather. I have been working on the same car for 43 years, and it's still not finished. I work on it hard for months at a time, then life gets in the way. So I just park it out of the way (storage building, far dark corner of the garage, wherever). I usually find a new toy or work on another project that is not so all-consuming, but when I get back to the old girl I am generally surprised how much I have accomplished and it is a pleasure to get back to work. It has evolved from a driver to modified street/track car to a full blown race car. It took a lot of years, but work finally slowed down some, kids are grown, and money is okay so I am back on the project full time with renewed energy to get-er-done.

Pappy
Old 05-06-2018, 11:01 AM
Lateral-g Supporting Member

Thanked 2,229 Times in 1,355 Posts

Trey,

Let us know when ‘the dream’ reaches 20 years...Bruh.

Skip
Old 05-06-2018, 11:52 AM

Done in small amounts is a good way to go about the process. This way, the performance of the thing, in a mostly working state, can remind you why you like to do "jobs" now and then. It's like the BB King mode of music, what he called performing the "economy way:" play guitar, then sing. Don't do both at the same time. The rest of life (which includes riding mountain bikes and drinking beer) is the best antidote to the car obsession pissing you off.

My experience with the Falcon gets me a working car that I feel like ripping apart again after a few months of perfectly reasonable performance. This is what someone above called "the sickness." This is also why it's good to have an extra car that both clicks performance boxes and doesn't require full attention (or aggression) to drive. This has helped my limited sanity (in relation to the knucklebusting obsession).

You're on the right track with the BMW idea, but be watchful of the M5 concept. You might be happier with a more basic (reliable) engine package. Dynamically, the M5 is not necessary in terms of having a very nice handling, braking, and accelerating sports sedan. My 530i M-sport package hits the spot without excess technical weirdness (which is becoming yet another domain of my Falcon).
Old 05-06-2018, 02:26 PM

Trey I’ve been there before with different hobbies, and it felt right to me to get out when I did, so I have no regrets. Only you know what’s best to do here.
I just finished a build for my brother that we started in 2000...18 years ago. He would throw a cover over it when he couldn’t do more, due to family obligations. As long as the cover was on it, it was out of site and he wouldn’t consider selling. If he stared at it uncovered in the shop, and he couldn’t do anything to it for a while, it would bring depression.
Throw a cover over it for a while, and do what feels right in other areas. It will be waiting for you when your ready. If getting rid of it now seems best, do it. If the bug comes back, find another one later.
70 velle' on custom chassis w/custom RideTech coilovers, RED sleeved 434” with Mamo 265’s, F-body Magnum, 12 bolt 3:73, wilwood 6/4's, bla, bla, bla...build. thread https://lateral-g.net/forums/showthread.php4?t=39631
New 434” engine build here https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...ved-block.html

Thanks Dad!!

My Chevelle is old school... It has a belt driven power steering pump.
They're 17's, but I keep em clean!
Old 05-06-2018, 09:40 PM
Lateral-g Moderator

Common for all. Grab some balance, then answers will appear.
Old 05-07-2018, 09:41 AM

WSSix,

Please don't sell your car.
Please don't sell your dream.
Please listen carefully.

I have been in your EXACT situation.
My Camaro build took 10.5 years.
I got really discouraged several times.

And then On top of that, I got cancer before my build was finished.
I had surgery, radiation therapy, and yes to chemo as well.
I honestly had a four month period where I couldn't even look at my car, much less make any progress.

Here's my point, hire a shop that you trust to finish your car.
I contacted Tony's Rod and Custom and then Tony actually drove across state lines and came to me where we actually finished my 68 Camaro together.
With a great trustworthy shop, you could make your TA dream come true.

Hang in there.
Get help like I got.
Trust me.
You shall be glad you did.

572Camaro.
Old 05-07-2018, 10:27 PM

Like everyone else, I have been there in your situation. My 68 Camaro sat in my mom's garage for nearly 30 years after I got tired of working on it. Nearly every car friend I ever knew from the 70's and 80's also got tired of their cars at some point and sold them for one reason or another.

True story!
Shortly after I started my build of "Dust Off", by chance I re-connected with one of my car buddies from my hometown high school on f***book. When he saw pics of "Dust Off" on-line he immediately started recalling car stories from the late 70's that he hadn't thought about in 40+ years. We communicated back and forth for about 4 years as I was building "Dust Off" and he told me stories about his 69 Vette and my 68 Camaro, some of which I had never heard before. But the one thing he talked about constantly was how many times over the years he regretted selling that car and how lucky I was that I had never sold mine. Recently, he stopped answering my messages and I was not sure why. Then one of his kids, now with a family of his own, came on-line and informed me that his dad had passed. I was stunned, he had never indicated he was even sick. His son told me that toward the end he had started telling his family stories of our cars and about some of the dumb car guy stuff we used to do when we were younger. Apparently, the family was confused why he had started reliving is car days until they read our emails. His son, who I have never met, thanked me for making his dad feel young again in spirit. Fact of the matter is, it was just a couple old car guys remembering good times.

The moral of the story is that once you sell your car it's gone and all you have are memories. Be sure you are OK with memories before you sell!
Speed has never killed anyone. Suddenly becoming stationary, that's what gets you!
"Jeremy Clarkson"

Last edited by TheJDMan; 05-07-2018 at 10:42 PM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TheJDMan For This Useful Post:
69hugger (05-09-2018), jarhead (05-09-2018)
Old 05-08-2018, 03:15 PM

Great story Steve.
2004 NASA AIX Mustang LS2 #14
1964 Lincoln Continental
2014 4 tap Keezer