Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Lateral-G Open Discussions > Open Discussion
User Name
Password

Old 05-09-2018, 08:37 AM
Lateral-g Supporting Member

Trey,

I'm sorry to hear that. Like other have said/posted, if you can hang on to it, do it. Especially if you don't have any debt on the car. Selling it means you'd be losing a lot $$, and you may regret it.

I've been in your situation. My car was running perfectly until I tore it apart last October for a 6spd swap. It's been on a pro-jack stand status since then. I've thought about giving up, since it's taking too long; plus me working out of town didn't help things.

I have thought about selling the Firebird, and get a 5th-gen Camaro SS/1LE, but nothing cooler than driving an older muscle car.

Good luck.

Last edited by rickpaw; 05-09-2018 at 08:40 AM.
Old 05-09-2018, 09:00 AM

I'm in the same boat. I've got three years into my Mustang build and now that it's 99% complete I'm ready to send it on its way. For me it's family time that I'm tired of taking away from to focus on the Mustang.

We all have different priorities and obligations in life. At the end of the day it's a car and it can be replaced down the road.

If you're looking for something you can hop in and drive it's hard to beat the new stuff, Porsche GT4, 1LE, GT350, Vette pick your poison.

The older M3's are definitely fun but could wind you back up in the same situation always changing / working on things as the car if 15 years old already.
Old 05-09-2018, 05:37 PM

Default Agree!

Trey, I agree with everyone on here!

The BEST decision I've made about cars in a long time was to buy the 2015 Mustang GT with the Performance Pack! Independent rear suspension, magnaride shocks, electric assisted steering, 3.73 torsen diff with cooler, and it's a 6-speed daily driver that makes me smile every day! Especially when I catch that last stop light on my way into work! I wasn't at all upset that I had to replace the rear tires at 12,000 miles... dang Pirelli's must be defective or something! LOL

Get something fun you can enjoy and just jump in and drive but KEEP YOUR CAR so you can tinker when time allows... it takes some of the "emotion" out of it and you can prioritize what you want to do to the "project car" when time allows.
Hoodpins.com, Inland Empire Driveline, Billet Accessories Direct, Modo Innovations, AutoRad Radiators, Morris Classic Concepts, Marquez Design, Anvil Auto, Fesler Billet, US Collision (DOOM), AGR, Pro-touringF-body.com, Phoenix Transmission Products, Shiftworks, ACC Carpet, Hedman Hedders, BMR Fabrication, American Autowire, MityMounts, TIN INDIAN Performance, Kauffman Racing Equipment, Pypes, RobbMc Performance, WMC, Holley, NOS, PST

Last edited by OLDFLM; 05-09-2018 at 05:40 PM.
Old 05-09-2018, 09:27 PM

I spent 9 years working on my camaro and it's not done yet, but it's drive-able so that has made it worth it.

Many times I got to a point where it was a burden and just tired of it, but i owed nothing on it, so i just put it to the side, took a breather (sometimes 6+ mo) and just got back to it when it was of interest again. The longer a project goes the easier it is to become discouraged. Put it to the side, re-align your priorities and what you feel you've been missing. Car wont be going anywhere. If you sell it, you'll likely end up regretting it!!!
2018 GMC Denali HD
Old 05-09-2018, 10:32 PM

Trey,
My .02
I've been working on two cars for several years, started both of them with my Daughter Kasey. We had hoped they would both be done long ago, she will soon be done with college, and is getting married in August.

I just turned 62 a few weeks ago and a think we started the 63 Fairlane when Kasey was 13. There are a lot of great memories invested in that car and I haven't touched it in 5 years. I am looking forward to starting it again and it may be 5 more.

These cars aren't meant to be a full time job, but a place to go, to relax, reflect on life, have fun with a loved one, a friend, go post a problem "or" success on a forum like Lat-G, and to get away from the stresses of everyday life.

I guess my point is most of us can go plunk down a down payment and get that second fun car, but we cant "buy-back" that car we sold we were frustrated with.

I've enjoyed your build posts, reply's to mine, and the forum banter. This sport is supposed to be a "get-away-from-the-BS that life throws at us" at least it is to me. Hopefully you keep your project and get something fun and "get back to the project" when you are ready.

signed from a guy that let a few too many go.
Joe

My 68 Torino
Old 05-10-2018, 08:31 AM

Trey, I love your car and the fabulous journey with it you have posted here. I realize how small me saying that is in comparison to the amount of work an endeavor like that is.

I don't have any words of advice for you, I wish I did. I can only say that this is a very pertinent thread/topic for me right now as well. I am so tired of working on cars right now! As several have said, when a hobby becomes a burden it's no longer fun, very apt saying.

My wife was diagnosed with breast cancer that had metastasized in her liver the beginning of January, just after my son and I had completely disassembled our Trans Am - it was a shell. We set into some winter changed to install the T56 in it and thought that wouldn't be difficult and are very guilty of the snowball effect. Well that was a happy thought but proved to not be so true. I'm a self taught mechanic and have a regular job to provide for my family and that doesn't leave a lot of discretionary fund left over. Since January and dealing with the cancer every friggin' car I have has broken down!!!!! My wife's daily, my daily, my son's daily twice! It seems every week there is something else broken in addition to keeping some kind of happiness in the family and my wife's spirits up- Those are my tales of woe, I tell them only to demonstrate that we all go through rough times and have to ask "what am I doing". I don't have my own answer but I know that my current pace and path are not what I want or going the direction I want to go.

I finally did get the TA put together and driving. I drove it for a week, went to an autocross and loved how it felt- for the 4 laps that we got from it before it overheated and puked a bunch of oil out and probably blew a head gasket. If I were on my own, or just me and my wife I would probably look to selling the TA. I've built the TA into part of our family though and my son and I get to spend a lot of time together in the garage working together, dreaming together, engaging with on another, he's 18 now and wants to spend time with me and that's why it's not up for sale. I still have to figure what to do with the other stuff because I need to spend more time with my wife and I need to more life than just the inside of a hood.

'78 Trans Am - Y88-R LS3/T56,
Holley EFI, UMI Performance
Old 05-12-2018, 06:01 AM

I appreciate the replies everyone. It means a lot to me. I'll keep y'all posted on what I do.

Current rides: 2000 BMW 540i/6 and 86 C10.

Former ride: 1979 Trans Am WS6: LT1/T56, Kore 3 C5/6 brakes, BMW 18in rims
Old 05-12-2018, 11:08 AM

Thanked 2,233 Times in 1,357 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by WSSix View Post
I appreciate the replies everyone. It means a lot to me. I'll keep y'all posted on what I do.
Simple way to come out on top in this situation Trey...do not make a move without consulting this board first!

Skip
Old 05-12-2018, 03:46 PM

lol, Thanks, Skip.

Current rides: 2000 BMW 540i/6 and 86 C10.

Former ride: 1979 Trans Am WS6: LT1/T56, Kore 3 C5/6 brakes, BMW 18in rims
Old 05-12-2018, 04:05 PM

Thanked 1,077 Times in 385 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmo mentis View Post
Simple way to come out on top in this situation Trey...do not make a move without consulting this board first!

FACT!! We are here for you! We would love to throw you in the pool and hold you underwater until you order more parts!! LOL

Or --- fly over here and I'll let you take the Porsche out in Launch Mode......