User Name
Password

Old 08-26-2010, 10:01 PM
Lateral-g Supporting Member

Thanked 1,076 Times in 384 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66 II View Post
GregWeld,

I am looking for information on how the eight stack works without an IAC valve (new to fuel injection). How is idle quality and how does the engine react when the AC is switched on?

I saw your post on FAST where you described a problem you were experiencing recently and you mentioned not having an IAC. The FAST tech seemed confused (I assume these are the same folks giving tech support for the Inglese system with the FAST controller...)

Thanks!
Todd
Todd,

I don't have an IAC - don't need it. Motor was built with EFI in mind - to wit - we did a custom Crane cam with a wide LSA (114* I think) to get some vacuum and smooth the idle a bit. Another thing with 8 stacks that people don't understand is that you have ZERO "reversion" (pulses inside a normal open/common plenum manifold)... so an 8 stack will "eat" a bigger cam and tame it a bit.

The problem I was experiencing was I couldn't get it to idle down.... and this was AFTER I had it running super! But it - as most of these things seem to be - was OPERATOR ERROR.... I had gotten the stacks out of sync! From side to side they were off.... IT was completely my fault. I had disconnected the side to side linkage - and adjusted the idle in the meantime - and then failed to reconnect the side to side linkage = and then the more I messed with it the worse it got! UNTIL -- in the middle of the night -- I had an AH HA moment! Re-sync'd the TB's --- with the manometer -- and all was smooth as glass once again.

NOW for your other questions RE: A/C -- This isn't much of a load on a motor that is making a bunch of TQ and idles at 950 rpms.... I also have a "loose" TQ converter... 2800 stall -- so when I drop in gear - there is no discernible RPM loss. This motor made an AVERAGE of 478 foot pounds of TQ from 3200 rpms to 6000... so I think that's why the load of the A/C compressor just isn't a factor. I also run electric fans so there's no load there either. I get a bigger rpm "reaction" when I turn the stereo on! I'm serious! That puts a momentary load on the high output alternator. I use a SPAL PWM fan controller - and that is designed to not turn the fans on when you switch the A/C on... it waits about 20 seconds or until the trinary switch reaches a preset head pressure. I think this also takes that A/C load off the motor... as most hammer the alternator with the fan load (radiator and the cooling speed fan).

I drove to Portland on Wednesday just because it was supposed to be 90+ degrees.... this EZ EFI works so dang well -- it's just amazing. This morning when I got up (down there) I decided to change the cruising A/F ratio from the 14:7 I was trying out -- trying to see how it'd run a bit "lean"... and simply plugged the little hand held in -- changed the cruise number and drove off.... The motor seems to "like" a bit fatter A/F and the torque seemed a bit flat with the 14:7 I tried on the way down. The beauty of this is that there are only 3 numbers -- Idle -- Cruise -- WOT. Just pick one -- and the rest is all done for you. No tables to mess with... nothing. GAWD -- the thing is so simple and it just works!

BTW -- My idle doesn't vary 25 rpms.... watching the dash tach -- it doesn't move. Watching the hand held programmer -- it varies 50 at most.
Old 08-26-2010, 10:14 PM
Lateral-g Supporting Member

Thanked 1,076 Times in 384 Posts

Forgot to add some other detail info:

My intake manifold is the new INGLESE version that has a huge built in common plenum... The intake runners are individual - but they have a (approx) 1/2" hole leading to the common plenum (they would have little if any reversion thru these). The EZ EFI is also BATCH FIRED. It doesn't require the dual sync distributor (a HUGE PLUS IN MY BOOK)... it just runs a normal distributor... so once you set your timing - just like you would with a carb - you're done. That is assuming you know what you're doing -- and have the advance curve - initial timing - and total timing dialed in. We did this on the engine dyno before I stuck the motor in. Every motor is different -- but this one took 32* total to make best power.... normally I'd have been up at 36* and trying to go more... but the new heads etc just liked 32!

I really like this new manifold because it gives you a good vacuum source for PCV - or power brakes - and for the vac referenced regulator that is REQUIRED. 8 stacks are NOT good sources of vacuum.... since they normally lack the common plenum. If you don't have a common plenum you have to fab one up with some plumbing etc to get a signal from the individual stacks to a common source. That's usually "ugly" and just another source of leaks down the road etc. I really like this new intake! Super simple "fix" for a common (pun intended) problem.
Old 08-27-2010, 07:30 AM

Thanks a ton for this info! I am saving this as a reference!

I really like the eight stack unit and since I am new to the FI world, wanted to start with the EZ kit. The car is still in progress but has electric fans as well with plans for PS, Hydroboost, and AC. The cam I am considering for the 406 is a Comp XFI grind with 113* LSA.

The fan controller makes sense to lessen the "shock" of the engine when the AC is powered. I will look into that as well.

Thanks again for the detailed reply!
Todd