Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Technical Discussions > Chassis and Suspension
User Name
Password

View Poll Results: What rim size to run in the rear of my 69 Camaro?
19x12: Make it work, who cares about running only one type of tire for the rest of your life!? 33 34.38%
18x12: They might not be as cool as 19x12, but come on here be more practicle! 63 65.63%
Voters: 96. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-15-2006, 08:56 AM

Default tire size

Damn True-

I agree 100% that tire size did not have an effect on the numbers the corvette pulled. I was eluding to the fact that tire technology has really advanced and it is possible to be great performance out of the bigger sizes. I believe that Dave Hill, head engineer for the corvette, stated that new tire tech has helped the corvette achieve its current results.

Steve-

What the hell? Tell me you are not going to change the rims on Penny.
Old 02-15-2006, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve1969LS1
True, BUT that doesn't mean you shouldn't know what's going on. Making INFORMED decisions is what this is all about.

The worse thing in the world is for someone to slap on huge wheels and think it's the same as the smaller deal, just bigger.
I wasn't meaning you in general steve.....and I agree 100% with what you said...first time I had seen those links also, looks like you have been preparing for this question.....lol since it is asked so frequently
Old 02-15-2006, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve1969LS1
I might have four of those for sale.. lol

Steve you mentioned somewhere that you have Forgeline wheels. I am trying to order a set of Forgeline SP3P wheels in 18x12 with 5.5" backspacing and they say they can't do it. The best he can do is 18x11.5 with 3" backspacing which is not the look i am going for.

What kind of wheels do you have? Size and BS?

Trev
Old 02-15-2006, 11:26 PM

I will be running 345/19's on my '68. My answer to the inertia problem is just bigger brakes! I also plan on 285's up front. The ONLY thing that scares me about running these sizes is standing water. I don't like the idea of becoming one large ski. I say go for the 19's.

Mike
Old 02-16-2006, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Musclerodz
I will be running 345/19's on my '68. My answer to the inertia problem is just bigger brakes! I also plan on 285's up front. The ONLY thing that scares me about running these sizes is standing water. I don't like the idea of becoming one large ski. I say go for the 19's.

Mike
How will you handle the problem of only one tire available in that size?
Old 02-16-2006, 06:19 PM

I'll offer my two cents, on two topics. One, if you are going to run the car on the street and truly want to enjoy the ride, I'd go with as large a sidewall as possible while still hitting the look you are after width-wise. Two, the most importnat thing you can do to make your car truly awesome in the rear is to install a Lateral D three link setup!

Okay, so I'm biased... Honestly though, tires are SO good these days, you probably wouldn't notice the difference in performance between an 18, 17, and maybe other rim sizes, stressing performance. In terms of ride quality, the more sidewall you have, in general (depends a ton on tire construction), the better of you'll be.

One truly hard thing to do is to find a really good, huge tire for the bigger cars, like the 68 GTX we're doing, like yours, there are few choices for tires on this one. Aaack.

Mark
Old 02-16-2006, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nutsy
How will you handle the problem of only one tire available in that size?
Current production Viper tire so I don't think they will quit making them anytime soon.

As far as sidewalls, 345/30-19 has 3.5 inches of sidewall. More than most any 18" tire anyone else is running so I feel comfortable with the ride quality I will have.

Mike
Old 02-18-2006, 09:54 AM

Quote:
As far as sidewalls, 345/30-19 has 3.5 inches of sidewall. More than most any 18" tire anyone else is running so I feel comfortable with the ride quality I will have.
Good call, that is exactly the size tire I have settled on for the back of the GTX, plenty of meat all around. And they're cheap too.....NOT! Gulp, oh well, price of playing I guess. I saw Pilot sports, but haven't seen a whole lot of other options, including any R-compund tires which I'd prefer, big time. Anyone know of a set? Hoosier slicks come next, not sure the local law enforcement would let that go though!
M
Old 02-18-2006, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Payton King
Steve-

What the hell? Tell me you are not going to change the rims on Penny.
Hell no! the wheels are one reason I bought the car.. lol

Just changing the tires to a stickier variety..

See Bad Penny run the cones: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8GUPPIX-92U

1971 Chevelle Wagon - Roadster Shop Chassis ProCharged Shafiroff LS and lots of yada yada

1968 Camaro - Project Track Rat - 440 RHS LS
Old 02-18-2006, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mean 69
Good call, that is exactly the size tire I have settled on for the back of the GTX, plenty of meat all around. And they're cheap too.....NOT! Gulp, oh well, price of playing I guess. I saw Pilot sports, but haven't seen a whole lot of other options, including any R-compund tires which I'd prefer, big time. Anyone know of a set? Hoosier slicks come next, not sure the local law enforcement would let that go though!
M
I just ordered 335/30/18 in the Toyo competition tire.. oh, are you going with 19's? If so then your screwed.. I havent found R's in anything bigger than a 18..

See Bad Penny run the cones: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8GUPPIX-92U

1971 Chevelle Wagon - Roadster Shop Chassis ProCharged Shafiroff LS and lots of yada yada

1968 Camaro - Project Track Rat - 440 RHS LS