Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Technical Discussions > EFI and Forced Induction
User Name
Password

Old 09-04-2006, 11:19 AM
Banned

Default Who needs 1000hp?

I've noticed a big trend lately with everyone wanting 1000hp or close too it. I know with the twin turbo deal it is fairly easy these days. But why? What do you do with 1000hp??? Unless you are drag racing I don't see the reason. I'm guessing its for the wow/bragging rights factor? I'm not knocking it. I'm sure I would be plenty stoked to have that much hp, but realistally it seems silly. You have all that extra weight from the turbos, extra plumbing and complications, and a ton of extra heat, let alone you will never harness all that power, and when you do it will probably start breaking stuff.

Now let me say, that I have worked/tuned on a grand national that was putting out 20PSi on pump gas and had power for days, and it was a BLAST to drive, but this thing might of had 500hp. Even then it would burn rubber when the boost hit in almost any gear.

I am going to guess and say it is just the same as having the bear 6 piston brakes, 10 point roll cage, and 335 rubber on the back. It is just part of the fun of building a car, and its fun to have overkill. But to be honest, when I see cars with all this stuff, I kinda as I figure that it is all just to be cool (which it is, who wouldn't want any of that!!)

So not that I think there is anything wrong with it, but is there anything you could actually use all that power for?
Old 09-04-2006, 12:43 PM

In my case, I like to drag race. Money has kept me from racing this year with only one income and the sort, but I love to go to the dragstrip. I make a little over 1000 hp, but rarely use it on the street, but it is there if I ever want or need it. With turbos it does not effect driveability at all. Whether I drive around with the boost at 10 psi or 25 psi, it still drives the same untill it is floored. It is mostly just a side effect of turbos that they make massive power. My last motor was a 427" fuel injected N/A small block, made 650 hp and went 11.0 @123, but it was not a "driver" motor. I also wanted to go 9's as I drive it on the street. I wanted a street motor that was more reliable and was super cheap to build and no maintenance to drive, so I built a twin turbo LS1. Does that answer your question??
Old 09-04-2006, 12:56 PM
Banned

Yes, but what about the guys who don't drag race?
Old 09-04-2006, 01:14 PM

Well, Then It Is Just For Bragging And Completely Usless.

With a racing tire and an auto it is somewhat harnessable. I my car I have the boost level change per gear to help hook. 1st is 9psi,2nd is 12 psi, and 3rd is 18.5 psi, if I do a huge burnout, It will hook decent like this off the trans brake only, foot brake does'nt hit the tires and they go up in smoke about 5 feet out.

Last edited by nitrorocket; 09-04-2006 at 01:19 PM.
Old 09-04-2006, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatlife
Yes, but what about the guys who don't drag race?
on the streets and on the cirquit race track 550/600 hp is ALL you need ....
Old 09-04-2006, 01:47 PM

Also, on my ride in particular, I went from a tall deck small block (220 lb block) to the aluminum LS1. The turbo setup added about 80 lbs I would guess(I need to rescale it again to find out for sure), but I lost that or more with the LS1 swap.
Old 09-04-2006, 01:48 PM

Yody your too funny.
Mini tub/AIR Ride
RMS Suspension
CURRENTLY FOR SALE !!!
Old 09-04-2006, 01:49 PM
Banned

I think its great to have all that extra stuff, even said I wasn't knocking it. Its definetly cool, but my question was about having 1000hp in a street driven car. I'm not asking in a negative way, just actually curious, and thought it would make for a good conversation. Not in anyway saying that it is wrong, just have been seeing it a lot lately and am wondering what people are going to do with it? I think it could make for an intersting/informative discussion. Hey Yody turned a new leaf, time for a new name
Old 09-04-2006, 02:01 PM

"extra weight" from the turbos seems like it would be negligible compared to gains you would see, so i would think that its a moot point.... i do agree with you though. 1000 hp is definently excessive when it comes to actual usable power, but then again, you can say you have 1000 hp.

and 335 are just as much for aesthetics as they are for traction... just an idea.
Old 09-04-2006, 02:11 PM

Talking 1000 hp

Have you ever watch the tv show called home inprovement (tool time) its all about more power . There nothing like pulling up to some prebby guy in his vette or porshe etc .looking over at him and girlfriend ( think there cool) and beening bitch slap by a REAL MUSCLE CAR .Thats whats its all about, old muscle with todays handling and power so the more power the better ,And looks of those twins under the hood!!