Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Lateral-G Open Discussions > Project Updates
User Name
Password

Old 06-06-2017, 12:42 PM

Default 1961 Starliner with twin turbos

Hello Gents! I've been trolling this site and a few others looking for good info and education and its been very helpful so thank you! Since Im about ready to start my project Im gonna put a build page together and share what I will be spending my time on for the next few years Im sure.

This is my 1961 Ford Starliner. I know its a big car in regards to some of the other vehicles in the pro-touring world but its a car that was used in NASCAR and can handle great if I do it right. I have a big block 427 FE engine that Im gonna run twin turbos to. Ultimately Im looking for a nice smooth running car with lots of low end torque and around 800 hp.

I picked this up in Arkansas and had it shipped out to me. It had been sitting in a junkyard rotting away but amazingly she's pretty straight less a dent in the passengerside front fender and a small dent in the passengerside quarter panel. There's a lot more rust than Im used to seeing but I think thats because I've never gotten a car from back east. So anyways here she is in all her patina glory

Last edited by StarlinerJack; 08-15-2017 at 01:24 PM. Reason: photobucket fix
Old 06-06-2017, 12:44 PM

My goals for this are plenty. I have a 427 FE big block that will be fed by twin turbos The idea behind it will be a modern retro/pro-touring car with around 800hp in a very mild mannered package. I want to be able to drive her around a lot while still having a lot of power. I figure with the twin turbos I can run a very wide lobe seperation cam (114 degree)and keep it some what small so it should idle smooth, make great vacuum, and tons of low end power. My thoughts are to give it some subtle vintage q's that resemble an early '60s nascar look. I want to throw a teardrop hood on it with a thunderbolt style twin carb intake. Of course I will need to make it suitable for boost. My thought is that when you pop the hood first glance will resemble a thunderbolt style ram-air but after a quick look there will be much more going on with the turbos and cooler and pipes. Fuel injection will be a must and of course some heavy duty internals with aluminum heads. Since Im not going huge power or RPM's I dont need anything too crazy with head port size or valve train upgrades. Just gotta make sure the intake shuts

Last edited by StarlinerJack; 08-15-2017 at 01:25 PM.
Old 06-06-2017, 12:45 PM

I will take some pics of the engine soon but in the meantime heres more.

Last edited by StarlinerJack; 08-15-2017 at 01:26 PM.
Old 06-06-2017, 12:46 PM

i will enjoy following this

My 68 Torino
Old 06-06-2017, 10:54 PM

Awesome car.

Seriously - put a chassis under it, put the motor in it, make the interior serviceable and drive that body as is ! Patina will always be hot because it can't be bought only earned !
Old 06-07-2017, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by preston View Post
Awesome car.

Seriously - put a chassis under it, put the motor in it, make the interior serviceable and drive that body as is ! Patina will always be hot because it can't be bought only earned !
I've heard this before! I cant do it. As much as I see cars all done up with the patina and look great I just cant bring myself to do it.
Old 06-08-2017, 09:04 AM
Lateral-g Supporting Member

Thanked 1,566 Times in 851 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by preston View Post
Awesome car.

I agree with Preston this car has perfect Patina. After building my dads 57 and the Syborg truck I new when we were doing the 70 not to spend any money on paint and body as I would never enjoy the car. I love the fact that kids can walk up to the 70 at a local cruise night and i don't have to freak out. The best part is I can lean on the car and not worry ( at all ) so no more flashy paint jobs that cost a fortune and are a nightmare to blend in.

Detail the engine bay, chassis and interior only.

Look at Boris Maryanovsky who owns Street Machinery Sales and Service in Cleveland on Facebook. All his cars are driven and enjoyed by there owners.

https://www.facebook.com/street.machinery

Projects - Syborg TT 4.3l v6 Mini-Truck, 2nd Chance Camaro & SLP575 Bumble Bee - 4Sale
Old 06-08-2017, 09:18 AM

Can't wait to see the progress on this one!
Old 06-08-2017, 11:20 AM

you have your work cut out for you!! good luck should be a very cool car!!!
Old 06-09-2017, 02:52 PM

Default Got my rendering

Well I know all of you patina guys will be disappointed but I think you'll appreciate where im going with the car. Here's the rendering my son made for me

Last edited by StarlinerJack; 08-15-2017 at 01:26 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to StarlinerJack For This Useful Post:
johnnysuede23 (04-22-2019)