Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Lateral-G Open Discussions > Project Updates
User Name
Password

Old 02-09-2019, 11:01 PM

I installed a motor mount and began measuring the amount of metal needed to be notched from the frame. Not too much needed to be removed but I clearance enough to be able to fit the ac lines and hopefully be able to install the compressor or remove it when the motor is installed.

As you can see in the pictures the suction and discharge are very close to the motor mount stand, I ended up cutting another 1/8" or so off it. It looks like excessive metal was removed for this but almost this much will be required to removed the compressor once the motor is installed. The compressor pivots from the lower stud and needs room to swing down.

Another area of concern I had was the variable displacement valve but it ended up in a good position with plenty of room to hook it up.

Old 02-09-2019, 11:09 PM

I then welded up the notch similar to how I did the other side. You can see how much more I cut out near the motor mount stand and a little more near the upper a-arm. I couldnt cut out too much near the motor mount stand due to the nut access, I could have welded the nut to the frame but I thought of that too late. Access to these nuts are fun. Got it painted the next day.

Old 02-09-2019, 11:19 PM

The reason I was trying to make so much room for the suction and discharge was my original plan to use a Motech manifold here. They are the only people I have found that make a Gen V compressor manifold but its big and exits towards the a-arm and I would have to put some kind of tight 90 degree ac fitting on there to make it work.

I was worried about making the Motech manifold fit so I reached out to Hawks Motorsports. Hawks makes an LS3 manifold (photo below) that has a 90 degree exit and should work out perfect for me. I spoke to them and they said they are beginning to get more involved with the Gen V swap stuff and had plans to make this manifold for the LT1 compressor in the next few months. Hawks Motorsports was kind enough to try to work with me on making a manifold for my truck compressor. I sent my compressor off and we will wait and see if they can make it happen, fingers crossed! If all works out I'm sure they will offer this in their lineup for anyone needing one.

The other option is have is to use the stock ac lines but I'd need to source them if the manifold does not work out.

Old 03-12-2019, 06:18 PM

Now that I have stuck the motor in and out I figure it will be the last time I stick it in so I decided to test the fitment of the trans inside the raised tunnel. Of course, as I finished sticking it in I remembered wanting to shave down the power steering box a little to clear the headers as mentioned when test fitting them. I might be able to keep the motor in there while I do it we'll see.

Here are some pics of me sticking it in there trying not to dent the firewall. Speaking of firewall, I took off the cowl vent and hammered out the remaining dents and put a little filler and smoothed it out some. Came out nice, not perfect but easy on the eyes haha.

Trans has plenty of room in the tunnel and the ground clearance is good. I have not seen the trans pan on the car version of this 10 speed but the truck version's pan is not deep in my opinion. The trans is currently sitting on the stock crossmember and a 2x4. The crossmember was moved a few inches back by the previous owner to run the 700r4. I planed on using the same corssmember in the original position with a little cutting and welding to get it where I need it to be.

Old 03-12-2019, 06:20 PM

I ended up hacking up my stock crossmember (saw someone else do the same) and offset it a few inches back to accept the new trans. The height was not changed, only the rearward position. I had some 1/8" plate laying around and this is what the stock crossmember is made from. It crossmember is very solid but the weight of the trans worries me a little for some reason. I think I'm going to stiffen it up a bit and clean up some of the tall edges that kiss the floor a little. I placed a spacer between the crossmember and mount so I could drop it a little if needed to get the angle corrected once the car is together. I also have quite a bit of room to raise the trans if needed too.

After its all said and done I think I'll buy an expensive crossmember instead. The 10 speed is very heavy lol.

Old 03-12-2019, 09:23 PM
Lateral-g Supporting Member

How much did the shop raise the trans tunnel to fit the new trans. I'm guessing more lift towards the front? Progress is looking good.

Old 03-12-2019, 10:10 PM

They do not have an exact number but they said this was the highest they have done. They do a bunch of T56 swaps and they do not raise it as much as mine ended up being. I'd assume its almost 2". Check out the before and after photos of the tunnel in the thread and you can see its a good amount higher.
Old 05-12-2019, 10:25 PM

I've got a little done since I last posted but I've been busy with life. I decided to clean off all the old Dynamat and coat the floor just to make sure no rust comes back. I planned on not using Dynamat anymore due to it possibly being the reason the pans rusted? Might not be the reason but the car had leaks and the mat held some water in the trunk. This stuff sucks taking it off and the only way was with a heat gun then a wire wheel along with elbow grease.
I also finally opened up my fuel tank box and put a coat of paint on the fuel tank. Its installed now but not fully buttoned down.

- - - Updated - - -

I also received my ICTBillet power steering pump bracket and installed it. Due to my position of the motor this bracket hits my a-arm and will not work for me. Like most things with this car plans have now changed. I'll be returning the PS bracket and going another direction with my setup. I have found a replacement accessory drive from Drive Junky that is pretty nice, it keeps the water pump so thats cool but I cannot use my factory compressor or vacuum pump. I should get the new drive installed in the next couple of weeks.

Old 05-12-2019, 10:32 PM

Got my headers installed! I ended up needing to massage the steering box and one of the tubes slightly to get them to fit due to the motors position in the car. These headers fit tight against the motor as advertised, this presents a small issue with the new Holley trans crossmember I'm installing. The PS header does not line up with the exhaust relief cutouts on the crossmember. Easy fix, just need to rout the exhaust over a bit, I post some photos of this later on. Another issue was the DS header flange had an issue sitting flush on the head, it seemed to be bulged out a hair in the center, hopefully the gasket and bolt torque will account for the misalignment issue. If you hold a straight edge across the header flange its off by a few thousandths in the center. PS header also clears the factory starter heat shield so thats kind of cool.

Also got the intake manifold installed and purchased the engine covers. I'm missing the studs to mount them but one of the guys on Corvetteforum was nice enough to send me his old studs for free as long as I covered the shipping.

Last edited by jasonz28camaro; 05-12-2019 at 10:47 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to jasonz28camaro For This Useful Post:
Roscoe03 (05-12-2019)
Old 05-14-2019, 10:33 PM

I ended up changing my mind about my hackjob crossmember I made and figured I would purchase a Holley crossmember and hack it up instead. I found a post on ls1tech where a guy used a T56 crossmember to install his 6l90 so I figure this would be a good starting point.

Sorry for the lack of photos, I away from the car but I'll get photos of the crossmember installed later on.

Here are a few pics of what needed to be done on order to make it fit. I had to cut out some of the diagonal gussets to clear the pan and then I had to lift the mounting position roughly 2" high and 3/4" forward to bold up to my trans witht he trans sitting at 3 degrees. Also reinstalled the diagonal gusset plate off to the side to maybe help keep strength.

It ended up working out great and is way stronger than my hackjob crossmember. I did not want to risk hitting a big bump and the stock crossmember bend and screw things up so this should help that not happen.

In order to lift the mounting point and move it forward I just used some leftover Ridtech axle tube tabs from my 4-link kit and the plate with the mounting holes came with the crossmember, I guess it might be a spacer?