Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Technical Discussions > Race Cars and Modern Pro-Street
User Name
Password

Old 05-20-2014, 07:46 PM
Lateral-g Supporting Member

Thanked 1,076 Times in 384 Posts
Default My Lotus 2 Eleven

This isn't pro touring - but is certainly a "race car". Lotus specifically designed this car for "track days". Perfect! Because that's exactly what we do with 'em.

252 Horse power -- 180 ft pounds of TQ = Super charged 1.8 Toyota 2ZZ motor.

Weight is 1470 pounds.

I was having real issues with the mirrors --- so I'm adding this nice little carbon fiber version I got from Pegasus Racing - via "Race Mirrors". I think it might weigh 4 ozs.

Old 05-20-2014, 07:50 PM

Very cool car. I didn't realize it was that light!
'67 Chevy II -
https://lateral-g.net/forums/showthread.php4?t=46846

I have about 3 lifetimes worth of projects planned out in my head!
Old 05-20-2014, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiedemab View Post
Very cool car. I didn't realize it was that light!

Brandon -- this thing is nothing but THIN aluminum and some fiberglass body panels. That's Lotus entire history! LIGHTEN it until it breaks...

The reason this handles and brakes so well is because there's no mass. Don't need much power either when there's nothing to get going!

Last edited by GregWeld; 09-20-2014 at 06:59 PM.
Old 05-20-2014, 08:38 PM

I'm sure you have a lot of fun with that one Greg. You still enjoy the Mustang more? I'm sure they are totally different animals.

How do you like the Schroth Belts? I just bought a couple of the NASCAR SFI 16.5's and they seem to be great quality.
Old 05-20-2014, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valve Lash View Post
I'm sure you have a lot of fun with that one Greg. You still enjoy the Mustang more? I'm sure they are totally different animals.

How do you like the Schroth Belts? I just bought a couple of the NASCAR SFI 16.5's and they seem to be great quality.

Yeah Casey --- I still like the old skool Mustang... it's just loud and bad ass.... but the Lotus is SO EASY to drive -- that's it's fun in a different way. The Lotus is faster.... more nimble - way better brakes.

I never notice the harness in either car - Schroth in the Lotus and Crow in the Mustang... I just get in, sit down, and buckle up....

I did just order PULL UP style lap belts for the Mustang - since they were incorrect for the car - being Pull DOWN.... made it real hard to get 'em tight. The Lotus has pull UP lap belts. Big difference. Have to thank Ron Sutton for pointing that little tidbit out!
Old 05-21-2014, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregWeld View Post
Yeah Casey --- I still like the old skool Mustang... it's just loud and bad ass.... but the Lotus is SO EASY to drive -- that's it's fun in a different way. The Lotus is faster.... more nimble - way better brakes.

I never notice the harness in either car - Schroth in the Lotus and Crow in the Mustang... I just get in, sit down, and buckle up....

I did just order PULL UP style lap belts for the Mustang - since they were incorrect for the car - being Pull DOWN.... made it real hard to get 'em tight. The Lotus has pull UP lap belts. Big difference. Have to thank Ron Sutton for pointing that little tidbit out!
What is the weight balance on that thing? Is it rear engine. It looks like a blast, like a big go kart. Most people don't seem to understand how important power to weight is, they just keep adding power.

Yeah I'm not sure why a manufacturer would even make pull down style for the lap, shoulder yes obviously pull down style but not for the lap.
Old 05-21-2014, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valve Lash View Post
What is the weight balance on that thing? Is it rear engine. It looks like a blast, like a big go kart. Most people don't seem to understand how important power to weight is, they just keep adding power.

Yeah I'm not sure why a manufacturer would even make pull down style for the lap, shoulder yes obviously pull down style but not for the lap.

63% of the weight is in the rear.... So snap oversteer is always in the back of a guys mind. It does run a staggered tire - but you still have to be mindful of that rear weight bias.

It has good aero - the body is (NOW) set up with a 10MM rake to the nose... and the wing is set at max downforce.

Here's what I remind people when they see the two cars together - and invariably ask - How much horse power does that "thing" have...

When their shoulders slump after hearing 252....

I point out the Mustang weighs 3015 # and has 4 speed and 590 HP.... BUT the lowly Lotus only weighs 1470 and has 252 and a 6 speed... and you're not trying to push a brick thru the air.

I have now followed (or been in front of) many different cars on the track... if you're carrying any speed at all -- the little Lotus will blow by most of them. It's only if you end up with low RPM's and need some torque that the little 1.8 liter motor just won't cut it... but it's not a problem - 'cause you just catch them at the next corner by out braking 'em. HAHAHAHAHA
Old 05-21-2014, 08:54 AM

Here it is naked Casey....

There's nothing to it. A square aluminum box with some A arms attached to it. LOL

The body panels are just that - panels - they're not structural at all.

Old 05-21-2014, 09:44 AM

Yup pretty much a big boys go cart, thats all you need on a racetrack!
Old 05-21-2014, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregWeld View Post
When their shoulders slump after hearing 252....

I point out the Mustang weighs 3015 # and has 4 speed and 590 HP.... BUT the lowly Lotus only weighs 1470 and has 252 and a 6 speed... and you're not trying to push a brick thru the air.

That thing is damn cool Greg. I love the lightweight stuff and 252 HP is solid for something that weighs as much as one corner of some cars.

I'd really like to build a Racecar Replicas SLC. As you know its along the same lines as this beast. Light race parts.

Better 63% Rear than front...