Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Technical Discussions > LSX Conversions
User Name
Password

Old 04-03-2020, 10:16 AM

Default Tanks Inc.

Hey All, I am getting ready to build out my 68 camaro tanks inc fuel tank and after reading some stories I was planning on making a few changes.

1. I was gonna order the Cork gaskets instead of using the Rubber ones supplied.

2. I was gonna upgrade to tube style fuel gauge sending unit instead of using the float style.

What do you guys think are these work the extra cost?

thanks
Paul
Old 04-03-2020, 11:19 AM

The gaskets yes, I've heard mixed opinion about the tube sender. Although as you saw on FB, I just used one.

Check it out Here
Old 04-03-2020, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulk68 View Post
1. I was gonna order the Cork gaskets instead of using the Rubber ones supplied.
2. I was gonna upgrade to tube style fuel gauge sending unit instead of using the float style.
I did both as well but vehicle not on road yet.
Old 04-03-2020, 12:25 PM

I have the float style and would definitely recommend the tube style as my gas gauge jumps up/down nearly a 1/4 tank in mild driving.

1968 Camaro SS
Old 04-03-2020, 12:35 PM

The standard stuff works fine, but the standard ventilation of the tank sucks if you have any pumping volume over that of a Walbro 250; even this is pushing it, especially if you plan to drive through turns with some enthusiasm (hot weather of course adds to expansion problems). Gasket sufficiency (and sender accuracy) hinges greatly on how effectively your tank is vented, kind of like with turbo pressure in an engine's crankcase. It took me years to figure this out, but hey, life is about learning, right?
Old 04-05-2020, 04:12 PM
Lateral-g Supporting Vendor

I would use the Rick's restomod stamped tank that uses the 5th Gen Camaro fuel module.

I have a Tanks, Inc. tank in my Cougar, and it works fine, but you can't beat the modern fuel modules. I originally was using the Walbro 255 pump, but found it annoyingly loud. I then replaced it with a DW200 pump, which is virtually silent.

Andrew
Please get in touch if I can be of service.
My YouTube Channel
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to andrewb70 For This Useful Post:
Corey R. (04-24-2020), minendrews68 (04-26-2020)
Old 04-05-2020, 04:52 PM
Lateral-g Supporting Member

Using the tube type in our FJ40 LS swap with a Boyds Welding tank, really like it.

Jeff-
Old 04-11-2020, 12:14 AM

I have a Tanks Inc tank in my 73 Camaro. I used the float type sending unit and get a LOT of variation on the gauge when driving. After careful adjustment it is accurate when parked or straight line cruising, but any change in direction can be seen on the fuel level gauge.

The vent that comes with it kinda sucks. I'll be upgrading that to a II Much can or some type of charcoal canister at some point.
Old 04-11-2020, 10:37 AM

Default Tube style for sure

I have had a Tanks Inc system in my vehicle for a while now, and decided to install an in tank pump. So I ordered the kit from Tanks and removed the tank to install the pump. Here is what I found. I tipped the tank to get the last bit of fuel out and heard some rattling, so I shook the tank, and the fuel gauge float fell out. Then I cut the hole for the new pump and this is what I found. Ethanol is evil stuff. Lesson here is keep your tank FULL of fuel, and use plastic, stainless steel, or aluminum for everything fuel related.
Attached Images

Last edited by Oleyellar; 04-11-2020 at 10:38 AM. Reason: sp
Old 04-13-2020, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADY View Post
I have the float style and would definitely recommend the tube style as my gas gauge jumps up/down nearly a 1/4 tank in mild driving.
Well I changed my fuel gauge sending unit from Floating to the Tube style sending unit. Unfortunately, did not notice any difference as the gauge kept swinging/jumping up and down in normal driving.

Not sure whether it is the gauge issue or the tube style sending unit.

I replaced my old classic instruments gauges last week and put new autometer gauges but have not driven the car yet.

However, I have read in one of the forums that you cannot get rid of fuel slushing because the tank is not designed with proper baffling. In fact, Summit racing now put a note when ordering tanks in their website as well.
Complete Speedtech Subframe Kit,Speedtech Torque Arm, 9" Rearend from Strange, Wilwood Brakes, Minitubbed, Hotchkis Subframe Connectors, FIKSE FM5s

Last edited by 72Z/28; 04-13-2020 at 09:15 AM.