Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Lateral-G Open Discussions > Open Discussion
User Name
Password

Old 08-20-2018, 02:21 PM

Default Making a drag car turn?

I’ve been into drag racing for a lot longer than pro touring so it’s interesting to me to see the differences in chassis and suspension design between the two when it comes to serious builds.
Round tube chassis vs square tube, struts vs double wishbones, narrow track with long wheelbases vs wide track, etc.

It got me wondering where a “happy medium” might be, or if there is even such a thing. For example; could a round tube chassis designed for drag racing be built to carve corners?
Old 08-20-2018, 02:51 PM

I think the construction method or material of the chassis is irrelevant. i think the road race guys use square because the rules allow it and it is easier to construct.
High end drag cars use round due to NHRA requirements. and weight.

The key is in the suspension and a drag race 4 link will never work in a corner.
the road race stuff likely would cross over better to the drag strip as they still want traction but will never be as good as a 4 link.

I don't think there is a happy medium. i think you can have huge compromises in both to get to the middle but would not be happy at either event.

the simple answer is to just build 2 cars!!
Old 08-21-2018, 12:24 AM

What kind of car do you have.There are a number of books out there from HP .Books .Does you race track has road racing events out there >Such as Vintage Racing,Thats where I got a lot of ideas for my 1979 Z-28 RS Camaro.Ask the members here and other sites.Check the race car shops in your area as well.
Attached Images

Old 08-21-2018, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blake Foster View Post
I think the construction method or material of the chassis is irrelevant. i think the road race guys use square because the rules allow it and it is easier to construct.

High end drag cars use round due to NHRA requirements. and weight.

The key is in the suspension and a drag race 4 link will never work in a corner.

the road race stuff likely would cross over better to the drag strip as they still want traction but will never be as good as a 4 link.

I don't think there is a happy medium. i think you can have huge compromises in both to get to the middle but would not be happy at either event.

the simple answer is to just build 2 cars!!

You’re probably right about the parallel 4 link. I imagine it would be difficult to get around turns with one.