Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Technical Discussions > Chassis and Suspension
User Name
Password

Old 02-21-2018, 09:30 PM

Default Half height subframe bushings verdict

OK I had decided long ago that half-height bushings just weren't worth the trouble. At that time it seemed the negatives were mostly trans tunnel clearance, hood clearance for traditional carb'd setups and steering column alignment.

Fast forward a while and I'm strongly considering the extra half inch or so now being worth it. Heck of a lot easier now than later. I'm having to rework enough stuff now anyway that I think it's an option basically.

I already have tunnel changes so that's a non issue really. The EFI throttle body is shorter than carb by more than 1/2" so i'm hoping that is non issue but am in the process of verifying. Are the steering column alignment issues enough by themselves to make this not worth the trouble?

Thanks!

Last edited by BBC71Nova; 02-21-2018 at 09:35 PM.
Old 02-22-2018, 11:34 AM
Lateral-g Supporting Member

Not sure about the X-body but I have half height on my TA and it's fine. This was done long ago while it still have the original engine and trans too. No issues at the time when I did the work or now.

At the very least, go with solid bushings regardless of what height, stock or half.

Good luck.

Current rides: 2000 BMW 540i/6 and 86 C10.

Former ride: 1979 Trans Am WS6: LT1/T56, Kore 3 C5/6 brakes, BMW 18in rims
Old 02-23-2018, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBC71Nova View Post
OK I had decided long ago that half-height bushings just weren't worth the trouble. At that time it seemed the negatives were mostly trans tunnel clearance, hood clearance for traditional carb'd setups and steering column alignment.

Fast forward a while and I'm strongly considering the extra half inch or so now being worth it. Heck of a lot easier now than later. I'm having to rework enough stuff now anyway that I think it's an option basically.

I already have tunnel changes so that's a non issue really. The EFI throttle body is shorter than carb by more than 1/2" so i'm hoping that is non issue but am in the process of verifying. Are the steering column alignment issues enough by themselves to make this not worth the trouble?

Thanks!
I wouldn’t risk half-height on your Nova. Too much chance of steering binding with that short shaft.