Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Technical Discussions > Shop & Equipment
User Name
Password

Old 06-19-2018, 01:44 AM

Great ladder! Where were you able to pick that up from? I could use that myself.
Old 06-19-2018, 03:56 AM
Lateral-g Supporting Member

Great job Lance, I know what it's like to "reset" and do a new shop. I'm still getting settled 2 years later.. It's a constantly evolving project, and it never freakin' ends...
Attached Images

Last edited by shelteredV; 06-19-2018 at 03:59 AM.
Old 06-19-2018, 08:18 AM

The shop is looking great Lance. I'm not sure I would go inside the house except for meals and to hang out with the wife. Hahaha!
Old 06-19-2018, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bergers59 View Post
What floor treatment is that? looks great
As usual, I had to do things just a bit different than everyone else. I was way more concerned about ease of keeping clean than looks. I also wanted a floor that would stand up to abuse but also me easy to patch up should I "abuse" it too far...

What we came up with was to first grind the floor smooth with 40 grit pads on a huge commercial concrete grinder. Then all of the expansion joints, cracks and divots were filled with a grey epoxy caulk and then the whole floor was ground again this time using 80 grit pads. The next day a coat of clear polyaspartic was put down, basically a quick drying clear epoxy. We mixed in some aluminum oxide to provide a bit of grip but I'm not sure now it was even needed. The floor is not slick at all, even when hosing it down.

When you really scratch the floor (yes, I've done that in many places already) it is kind of like clear coat on a car...it looks horrible. But as soon as you wipe it or rub the scratch, it almost goes away. There are many surface scratches on it that I bet could be polished away if one wanted...but I'm not concerned about them at all. I clean it up with a dust mop for the most part and got it looking this good for the pictures by hosing it down with water and using a squeegee to push the water and dirt out the doors.

And no Greg...I haven't lost any nuts or bolts on it either. In places where it really got ground down, you can see the aggregate of the concrete and it looks really cool...but for the most part it's all one color and easy to see thing that fall on it.
Old 06-19-2018, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Build-It-Break-it View Post
Great ladder! Where were you able to pick that up from? I could use that myself.
Amazon baby!!!

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It is good for a floor 9' 10" above the other floor, mine was 9'7"...
Old 06-19-2018, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shelteredV View Post
Great job Lance, I know what it's like to "reset" and do a new shop. I'm still getting settled 2 years later.. It's a constantly evolving project, and it never freakin' ends...
I'm ready to be done working "on" the shop and start working '"in" the shop!!

Your shop looks great. How does your heated floor work with the race deck tiles? Would you do that floor again?
Old 06-19-2018, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gofastwclass View Post
The shop is looking great Lance. I'm not sure I would go inside the house except for meals and to hang out with the wife. Hahaha!
Thanks!! I have been known to hide out a bit out there from time to time...
Old 06-19-2018, 09:01 AM

You can kind of see in this picture what I had to do to get the shelves to fit to my satisfaction.

I found these shelves at Costco for $60 each. They are 4' wide, 24" deep and 8' tall with melamine shelves. I cut 8" off of the bottom of the back legs and attached them to the walls direct. This was to clear the trim and stem wall at the bottom. I then had to trim each of the front legs to the proper height to account for the hump\slope of the floor. The high spot of the floor is about where the pressure washer is and it drops about an inch each direction by the outside edges of each shelf. This way the shelves themselves are level, square and plumb.

It is hard being afflicted with the OCD but in a weird way satisfying at the same time. My wife thought I was crazy during the process but understood why once it was done. I'm sure some of you will understand as well...
Old 06-19-2018, 09:02 AM

Thanked 1,474 Times in 1,106 Posts

Garage looks great, Lance!
Old 06-29-2018, 07:59 PM

I picked up a few tools this week that were sorely needed in the shop. Some were things I had before in my old shop but didn't bring with me, others were things I've always wanted.

First up is a Hein Werner 12 ton Hydraulic press.

I kept a lot of the steel and aluminum plates from my old press and got quite a few with this one as well to help in situating things when using the press.

I had a bench drill press before but I'm real happy to have a Chicago Machine Tools 12 speed floor drill press now.

This is the one I'm most excited about... I've always struggled with improvising when trying to make clean cuts on different types of metal, this Wilton 14" Tradesman Bandsaw should help considerably with that task.

I also picked up these 3 rolling shelf carts and a transmission jack.

The shelf carts are just cool, not sure what I'll use them for yet but I'm certain they'll earn their keep in time.

The trans jack is older, and leaks...but should get the job done with needed. I'm tempted to take it apart and see if I can find a shop to seal it back up again. Every tall trans jack I've ever seen like this leaks so maybe it's just the nature of the beast. Kind of a pain though in a brand new shiny floor shop though.

I also picked up some car setup tools which I'll show later once I get them all setup. I will say though, they will go very nicely with the 4 post drive on lift...

I also did some decorating today...