Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Technical Discussions > Cooling: Radiators/Fans/Controllers
User Name
Password

Old 11-23-2015, 08:55 AM

Interesting finds John. I have the issue with the engine rpms diving too low when rolling to a stop as well. I had a guy that was helping me do some tuning, but now I am armed with a copy of hp tuners and looking to become dangerous.
Old 11-23-2015, 09:27 AM
Lateral-g Supporting Member

Here's the stall scenario:
  1. Deep decel due to heavy braking.
  2. WB goes lean (15.8), injectors are around .5ms.
  3. STFT pegs (+34%).
  4. RPM is dropping, and WB begins to fall back. TPS is just above where idle would be. 20% or so.
  5. Injectors increase bw to 1.1 ms, WB comes down past stoich as idle speed is reached (800 rpm).
  6. Timing begins to advance to help catch the idle (0 to 32 or so). STFT is still at 34%.
  7. Engine speed goes to 450 rpm. Sometimes it stalls, sometimes it doesn't.

II Much Fabrication's Blog New products, Fabrication sequences, etc.
Old 11-24-2015, 10:12 AM

I fixed the stalling issue in the Minimum Idle Airflow table. (many thanks to Mike Norris!). He suggested some fairly high numbers (as if the car had a big cam), and that immediately cured the stall. I fussed some more and reduced the numbers just a bit from Mike's suggestion and the car returns to idle perfectly.

I think the lesson (perhaps?) is that my intake tube is a bit turbulent due to the tight confines and weird direction of the factory LS9 throttle body. Or maybe the big headers or new injectors required that.

Anyway, as Mike says, the motor wants what it wants. It's time to get this car delivered.

Old 11-25-2015, 09:31 PM

John,

Can you post a screen shot of the table you modified?

Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by parsonsj View Post
I fixed the stalling issue in the Minimum Idle Airflow table. (many thanks to Mike Norris!). He suggested some fairly high numbers (as if the car had a big cam), and that immediately cured the stall. I fussed some more and reduced the numbers just a bit from Mike's suggestion and the car returns to idle perfectly.

I think the lesson (perhaps?) is that my intake tube is a bit turbulent due to the tight confines and weird direction of the factory LS9 throttle body. Or maybe the big headers or new injectors required that.

Anyway, as Mike says, the motor wants what it wants. It's time to get this car delivered.
Old 11-26-2015, 03:29 PM

Let's try this:
Attached Images

Old 12-08-2015, 11:02 PM

After reading thru this entire 35 pages, I have a question on the fan controller. Right now im running an LS2 w e38. The e38 was from an 08 2500 6.0 truck w clutch fan. I am NOT looking to run the fans in PWM, as my harness is wired to run them on/off. I have a guy that tunes for me w efi live. We eventually got the ecm to work the fans, but they pulse the when running. He can command both fans and they run full speed with no pulse. I believe I am missing the "discrete" setting..., and it is still in PWM mode. This is my first e38 after many 411's in numerous swaps. Also, I am running a trinary switch for the AC. Is there any ecm settings that need to be altered to make all this work together?
Great thread, and thanks for the help.
Scott
Old 12-16-2015, 03:26 PM
Lateral-g Supporting Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by samckitt View Post
If you decide to run the Corvette fan module & control the fan from the ECM, I have the module connectors. $55 shipped.

Hey Scot,

Have you actually tried plugging that connector body into a C6 fan controller?

Also, the small terminal that you sent me is not the one that you have in the picture above.

Andrew
Old 12-16-2015, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewb70 View Post
Hey Scot,

Have you actually tried plugging that connector body into a C6 fan controller?

Also, the small terminal that you sent me is not the one that you have in the picture above.

Andrew
I have one on the Monte. And have sold close to a dozen, no one has mentioned any problem. What problem are you having? All the parts I have for these I keep in the same box, no other parts, so I don't see any way I could have mixed them up. Send me a pic of the small terminal you have.

Scot

Last edited by samckitt; 12-16-2015 at 05:09 PM.
Old 12-16-2015, 06:02 PM
Lateral-g Supporting Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by samckitt View Post
I have one on the Monte. And have sold close to a dozen, no one has mentioned any problem. What problem are you having? All the parts I have for these I keep in the same box, no other parts, so I don't see any way I could have mixed them up. Send me a pic of the small terminal you have.

Scot
The main connector body needs has cavities between terminals 1/2, 2/3, and 3/4. The cavity between 1/2 is filled, but I was able to clearance it enough so that the guide pins that are on the fan controller can slide in now.

PM me your email address and I can send you the picture of the small terminal (for the PWM wire) that you sent me. It's nothing like the one you have in your picture.

Andrew
Old 01-08-2016, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z06vette View Post
After reading thru this entire 35 pages, I have a question on the fan controller. Right now im running an LS2 w e38. The e38 was from an 08 2500 6.0 truck w clutch fan. I am NOT looking to run the fans in PWM, as my harness is wired to run them on/off. I have a guy that tunes for me w efi live. We eventually got the ecm to work the fans, but they pulse the when running. He can command both fans and they run full speed with no pulse. I believe I am missing the "discrete" setting..., and it is still in PWM mode. This is my first e38 after many 411's in numerous swaps. Also, I am running a trinary switch for the AC. Is there any ecm settings that need to be altered to make all this work together?
Great thread, and thanks for the help.
Scott
Scott. It is possible that you are setup in discrete but the VA system is pulsing the fans through the controller via the trinary switch. I was told by VA that the evaporator controller will turn the AC compressor on and off based on what the probe is seeing in the coils under the dash.

I am in the process of gathering all of the parts to set up my fans to run PWM with the use of a AC pressure switch. It will go in line with the trinary and should allow the fans to work on pressure rather than the state of the compressor clutch. I will be posting all of these parts once I get everything figured out.