Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Technical Discussions > Chassis and Suspension
User Name
Password

Old 06-20-2018, 05:45 PM

Default Subframe connectors 68 camaro

Looking for some input on subframe connectors for my 68 camaro. I'll be installing them and prefer a weldin connector and possibly an option of bolting to the front subframe in case I ever need to remove it. I just installed solid body mounts and it helped but not as much as I'd like it to stiffen things up. My car has a factory subframe and a Ridetech 4-link with the muscle bar.

I have DSE connectors on my radar but feel free to chime in with other options and experience with them. I also think that these are one of the more labor intense installs so this is about as far as I would like to go in relation to hours and difficulty as I will be doing the work.

Last edited by jasonz28camaro; 06-20-2018 at 05:58 PM.
Old 06-20-2018, 05:47 PM
Lateral-g Supporting Member

Go with the DSE,you can drill and make subframe removable.
Old 06-20-2018, 06:23 PM

Do you mean weld the ears to the subframe then bold the ears to the connectors where the plug welds are supposed to go? Or another way? got any pics?
Old 06-20-2018, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonz28camaro View Post
Do you mean weld the ears to the subframe then bold the ears to the connectors where the plug welds are supposed to go? Or another way? got any pics?
This is not a real good pic but yes weld tabs on subframe and drill thru plugs and bolt it in
The Following User Says Thank You to tubbed69 For This Useful Post:
jasonz28camaro (06-20-2018)
Old 06-20-2018, 08:44 PM

I installed Hotchkis subframe connectors on my ‘68 Camaro. Have it welded in the rear and bolted to my Art Morrison frame up front. Good results on stiffening up the frame and limiting twisting/ movement with no cutting of the floor.

https://www.hotchkis.net/product/196...k=&yr=&md=&sm=

1968 Camaro SS
Old 06-20-2018, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubbed69 View Post
This is not a real good pic but yes weld tabs on subframe and drill thru plugs and bolt it in

I recall a few years ago someone posted pictures of their DSE connectors with the tabs welded to the sub frame and they made it bolt through on the connectors side. I recently searched Lat G and Pro touring and couldn't find it anymore I'm sure the pics are gone with the photobucket debacle. I'm getting close to this point and wish I could have found those pics. They were pretty descriptive on the process. Really want to make my subframe removable if for any reason one day I need to take it out.

BB
Old 06-20-2018, 10:09 PM

Picture makes perfect sense, thanks.

Wonder if it would be beneficial to install a sleeve inside the subframe connector at each bolt hole prior to capping it off?

I'm not totally against welding as its just a few inches of weld to cut out if my subframe needs to be taken out.

I'd also be interested in seeing pictures of it installed all the way if someone knows where to find some?
Old 06-20-2018, 10:18 PM

Post 12 on my build thread shows the process I took to install sleeves in the sub-frame connectors. I didn't show a pic of the sleeve with the ends tapered for proper weld penetration but I did do that and I highly recommend the same.
Hope that helps.

My Build Thread:
https://lateral-g.net/forums/showthread.php4?t=53320
Old 06-20-2018, 10:21 PM

I have DSE subframe connectors along with a DSE subframe and I welded the tabs to the subframe and to the connectors. IF, I ever need to remove the subframe, it will be a simple job to cut the weld.
Speed has never killed anyone. Suddenly becoming stationary, that's what gets you!
"Jeremy Clarkson"
Old 06-20-2018, 10:35 PM

Do you feel the connectors hod it together pretty good over stock? I know you have the DSE subframe that's helping as well too though.

One of my problems for an example is when I go up my driveway at an angle my driver side tire sucks up so high into the wheel well that the back of the tire around 3 o'clock hits my rear quarter. I added the Ridetech Muscle bar to my 4-link and it still didnt help. One reason for this is body flex, the other is its a 28" tall tire. When I do wheels it will be swapped for a 26"tall tire and this should fix it. On my 96 camaro I had an anti-roll bar without subframes and it would lift a tire rather than suck up high into the wheel well. I'm hoping that adding the connectors will stiffen things up enough to make this not happen.