Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Technical Discussions > Chassis and Suspension
User Name
Password

Old 03-03-2010, 11:33 PM

Default TCI 3 Link with 335 Tires?

I have a set of DSE deep tubs waiting to go on my 69 Camaro, I was originally planning on going with their quadra-link suspension as well but now considering the TCI 3 link. Does anyone have any experience with this setup or know max tire width that can be ran? I'm dead set on running 335 tires!
Old 03-04-2010, 07:47 AM

Fairly certain TCI says 315mm
Old 03-11-2010, 11:04 AM

It's been a couple days since I've been logged in here so I just now saw this. We have and recommend a 315 tire on the 1st gen Camaro. I'm sure you could squeeze a 335 in there with a rolled lip and more of the frame rail removed. We used a Classic Industries stock replacement tub moved over to a slightly notched frame rail. We didn't notch the frame rail as far as needed for the DSE tub. With a DSE tub and some modification to our coilover crossmember you will have some more room than we do on our car.

Here are some pics I just took with my camera phone with the car on the lift. *camera phone so sorry for the low quality* The only time this tire rubs on the inside is on steep driveway transitions.

There is about .5" clearance on the outside

This one came out really dark but this is the inside clearance which is about .75".

This is the clearance of the bars and brackets.

This one shows our coilover crossmember and how much the rail was notched.
63 Nova 'Low Budget G-Machine' *SOLD*
Old 03-11-2010, 03:16 PM

“[/QUOTE]” [QUOTE=slow4dr;274450]It's been a couple days since I've been logged in here so I just now saw this. We have and recommend a 315 tire on the 1st gen Camaro. I'm sure you could squeeze a 335 in there with a rolled lip and more of the frame rail removed. We used a Classic Industries stock replacement tub moved over to a slightly notched frame rail. We didn't notch the frame rail as far as needed for the DSE tub. With a DSE tub and some modification to our coilover crossmember you will have some more room than we do on our car.

Here are some pics I just took with my camera phone with the car on the lift. *camera phone so sorry for the low quality* The only time this tire rubs on the inside is on steep driveway transitions.

There is about .5" clearance on the outside

Jason,
You need a new phone. That's about clear as mud.
Tim

Last edited by ibuildm; 03-12-2010 at 01:33 PM.
Old 03-11-2010, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibuildm View Post
Jason,
You need a new phone. That's about clear as mud.
Tim
yah yah yah It's the thought that counts.

I won't even bother trying Ben's camera cause that thing is waaaaay over my head. I'll bring in one of my point and shoots tomorrow.
Old 03-12-2010, 10:49 AM

I hope these 'clear' it up a little.

Keep in mind that the car is not at ride height.

Here is a shot of the rubbage I was talking about.

Last edited by slow4dr; 03-12-2010 at 10:58 AM.
Old 03-13-2010, 12:01 AM

I thought I had a tight fit. That dude is just a lil tighter than mine. I have a half inch on the outside. I will contact like you did on the ribbing of the sheetmetal if I rotate the axle over 5*. But if it becomes a problem I will shave and smooth the inner quarter to remove the "bump out" to get more clearance. The lip of the quarter on mine clears just fine.

But on yours you have some possible interference on the inside with the head of the bolt (maybe not at ride hight, you have it dropped for the pic?) or the rubber higher up. The rubber hose can prolly be fixed. Mine is smooth on the inside, nothing to hit, and if it does, its flat sheetmetal, not gonna rip a side wall.

For guys wanting to run close tolerances make sure to check for clearance not only in the vertical travel but also with the axle twisted to mimic a heavy turn or going at an angle over a dip or rise in the road, like driving over a speed bump at an angle or turning into a driveway. As the axle rises on one side it will rotate the tire in and out (other tire) at the top quite a bit. Expect .5 to 1 inch of lateral tire movement for 4-5* of axle rotation with a 26" dia tire.

On the outside it might not cause much damage, maybe just buff the paint off the inner quarter (if you are inside of the quarter, if outside the quarter then you may bend the lip). But on the inside, the frame side. If you have any bolt heads, or other fasteners (brackets) that have semi sharp edges you may end up ripping the sidewall of the tire. Dont even ask how I came to that conclusion JR